Metallica still killing it

2,021 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dudes are nearing 60. The Rolling Stones never had to do it like this.

And this is off the road for a while.. only 4 full shows in 1.5 years.

They all still ****ing have it man. How long can they go on???
65? 70?

dude95
AG
Hoping the editing guy making all those weird cuts retires soon.
John Francis Donaghy
AggieLitigator
I thought this was going to be about Napster

Too soon?
The Dirty Sock
spag.ag2003
AG
Thanks for posting man - somehow I missed this. Sounded really damn good - that felt pretty close to album tempo. Lars has a tendency to play Battery about 20% faster than the record.

Also were those new axes? Kirk with the Schenker V and I've never seen that paint job on James' Vulture.
62strat
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

Also were those new axes? Kirk with the Schenker V and I've never seen that paint job on James' Vulture.
I was about to say, James had the camo guitar on the WW tour in 2017.. but alas, that was an explorer. How quickly my memory fades!

Haven't seen a camo V, maybe he got them at the same time.

DallasTeleAg
Still haven't caught them live, and really need to.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
one of my best buds took me to their last show in lubbock (2019?). it was my first time seeing them in concert and they absolutely did not disappoint. definite bucket list item for sure.
NE PA Ag
I have an almost saw them before they were huge story (really wish it was actually saw them). I was in west Houston winter of '84 and tried to go to a live music rock club with my friends (name escapes me).

We're told it's a sold out event. Every time the door opens to let people in I hear this amazing metal. People outside tell us it's 'some band from California called Metallica'.

A trip to the record store soon after and I buy Kill 'em All and have been a fan ever since. Next opportunity to see them is large venue.
Jasomania
AG
They are really doing things the right way. They know their limits and don't sacrifice quality in order to get more shows in. On the Hardwired tour they took days off between each show and limited to about 50 per year. It may mean them coming to town less but when I saw them at NRG for their last show they sounded as good as they did 20+ years ago. I firmly believe they will hang up the towel before they let the quality of their live performances dip. I've seen a few "bucket list" caliber names that were getting up there in age that were a complete shell of what they used to be live.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I saw them at Reunion Arena in Dallas in ?1992?.

My friends and I were 16 but none of our parents were about to let us drive from our small town to Dallas. We had a friend that was 18 that we knew his parents would pretty much let him do anything. We asked if he'd drive us if we bought his ticket.

Bought tickets a day or two before the show - the only option was "behind the stage". Thinking we might literally be completely out of view and only listening to decided to buy anyway.

We had no idea the stage was diamond shaped. The band walked around the entire show and when in the back of the stage - faced the back. Since we were on the 2nd deck were we about as close as you could get without being in the pit when they'd play in back.

What an awesome experience. I've seen them several times since but nothing will ever compare to that first show.

A couple of times a year when the wife has a girl's night out I take the whiskey into the media room and crank the volume for the "Through the Never" movie/concert.
Take the trash out staff.
Teacher_Ag
AG
That's how I felt when I saw the Pumpkins in OKC in 2019. They played an intense 3 hour set and sounded as good or better than I've heard them in live videos from their prime. I can't imagine how Jimmy especially drums like he does for that long at his age. Incredible that they can pull off multiple shows a week like that.
True Anomaly
AG
That was incredible. I did see something recently about Hetfield's voice currently being in rare form, and that just confirms it

Hetfield's the greatest frontman in the history of metal- to me at least.

I did stop following them closely a few years ago, but still managed to go to the first night of S&M2 in 2019. Had no idea he went back to rehab later that month. Any word on why he ended up doing that, other than the usual "falling off the wagon"?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
True Anomaly said:

Had no idea he went back to rehab later that month. Any word on why he ended up doing that, other than the usual "falling off the wagon"?

well...i mean...that will usually do it.
Urban Ag
AG
I saw them in Seattle in the summer of 92. It was the tour they did with GNR. Motorhead opened (they sucked). Hetfield couldn't play because he had been burned badly in a pyrotechnic accident weeks before and had this huge black cast on his arm. Still killed it. Don't recall who was filling in for him on guitar.

That whole show went about seven hours. It was like running a marathon. Metallica came right onstage behind Motorhead and played for almost three hours. Axl, is rare form, actually came on stage on time within 10 minutes of Metallica finishing. Newstead and Hammett even came out and jammed with GNR for 20 minutes or so at one point.

Best show I ever saw.
UnderoosAg
AG
Wasn't it Hetfields guitar tech?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Was supposed to see them in I believe 2008 in Houston. Had a freaking night test rescheduled and had to sell my ticket. Have never seen them live and I regret that.
Jinx
First concert I ever went to. Saw them at the Summit after Load, then again during Summer Sanitarium. Was a bit young for the Black Album tour... sad for that.
Not Sure
AG
I was at the Fort Worth concert where they filmed the first night of Cunning Stunts. Absolutely incredible live!
Cromagnum
AG
They sounded fantastic at the Toyota center 10-12 years go. They (and everyone else) sounded like **** at NRG because the acoustics in that arena blow ass for listening to anything. So many echoes you can't understand anything unless you are right by the stage.
spag.ag2003
AG
Believe it was Kirk's guitar tech, but yeah - John Marshall is the guy's name. Not sure if he's still associated with the band or not.
62strat
AG
seen em '94 ,'97, '98, '03, '04, '08, '09, '17, then both S&M2 shows. Wanted badly to go GnR/Met in '92 in Houston, but was too shy of a 12 year old to ask my parents.

S&M2 was a twice in a life time concert, but '17 show I won meet and greet and pit passes (pic above is mine) which is absolutely only once in a lifetime, so M&G and pit wins. I firmly know I will never have a better live concert experience.

62strat
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Still haven't caught them live, and really need to.
holy crap man, do not hesitate a second if/when they come back.

This is the beatles/zeppelin of today. Absolute legends. They could call it quits at anytime. I seriously have already depressingly thought about how S&M2 may have been the last time I see them live. You just don't know. This music is not easy for 60 year olds to pull off.

I think there's a decent chance they turn into a studio only band, and put touring behind them. Maybe single and one off live stream shows.
CoolaidWade
AG
I don't know why but that small change of timing that Lars does at the very end of this song is one of the coolest things they do.
Buck Turgidson
The OP acts like he's never heard of geriatric rock bands. All the best bands are at least as old as Metallica. Sadly, we've lost a lot of them (RIP Dio, Dimebag & Lemmy).

When I'm 65, I look forward to watching 80 year old Judas Priest on tour. We can reenact "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" except with assisted living facility shuttle vans instead of Firebirds and Camaros.
62strat
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

The OP acts like he's never heard of geriatric rock bands. All the best bands are at least as old as Metallica. Sadly, we've lost a lot of them (RIP Dio, Dimebag & Lemmy).

When I'm 65, I look forward to watching 80 year old Judas Priest on tour. We can reenact "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" except with assisted living facility shuttle vans instead of Firebirds and Camaros.
I said in the first post - The Rolling Stones never had to do it like this. Not many geriatric bands playing thrash metal that have a bid enough fan base to face criticism. Slayer is done..

Then you say sadly we've lost a lot.. yeh, that's kinda my point! Not many left at this caliber of musicianship.

Is there a mainstream band this old that still kills fast tempo songs like this in concert? Sure, but not many, and none as high profile as Metallica.

They are still only 57/58. But in just 5-10 years from now, a lot changes for these guys.
62strat
AG
CoolaidWade said:

I don't know why but that small change of timing that Lars does at the very end of this song is one of the coolest things they do.
He does it in Blackened too, the bridge after solo.

This guys breaks em down pretty cool. Killer riff on a slower drum beat honestly.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.