Favorite Robert Earl Keen song?

4,491 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really enjoy this one too.
Ag_07
AG
Dreadful Selfish Crime
Sonora's Death Row
billyboy2001
AG
No love for The Raven and The Coyote? Kind of hits a different way.
AustinCountyAg
PDWT_12 said:

The Road Goes on Forever is the first thing I ever heard by him, and taught me that country music could be more than just singing about beer and a girl on a tailgate.

ummm ok
fav13andac1)c
AG
REK was the headliner for First Yell in 2012, where he played to a full Bernard C. Richardson Zone in Kyle Field. Someone in the front row made a request for him to sing Merry Christmas from the Family, and he happily obliged. Keep in mind this was early September.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

REK was the headliner for First Yell in 2012, where he played to a full Bernard C. Richardson Zone in Kyle Field. Someone in the front row made a request for him to sing Merry Christmas from the Family, and he happily obliged. Keep in mind this was early September.

are you under the impression he only sings that song strictly at christmas time?
Scriffer
AG
Feelin' Good Again

My three year old has about half of it memorized. I sing it to her at bedtime every night along with occasional instances of The Cape and Be Thou My Vision.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think he does generally only sing it starting in September through the first of the year.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
interesting. i've definitely seen him play it at a few summertime shows. but that has been years.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Merry Christmas From The Family.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I remember reading it in an interview he did somewhere. I imagine it's not a hard and fast rule or anything though.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

PDWT_12 said:

The Road Goes on Forever is the first thing I ever heard by him, and taught me that country music could be more than just singing about beer and a girl on a tailgate.

ummm ok

Yeah, he completely forgot about mama, trains, and prison.
PDWT_12
AG
I mean, slight exaggeration. But nearly 20 years ago when I heard it country music radio was transitioning from George and Garth and all that to more of the Rascall Flatts and Kenny Chesney age. So I don't think it's that odd of a statement?

fav13andac1)c
AG
ruddyduck said:

fav13andac1)c said:

are you under the impression he only sings that song strictly at christmas time?
No, I just thought that it was cool that he presumably went outside of his setlist for that night to play a song that is without a doubt a Christmas song.
TXAG 05
AG
I don't think I've been to an REK show where he didn't play it.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Unfortunately, it was the only one I've ever been to, so I guess I lack the experience to have understood that. Regardless, I thought it was a cool moment.
cwpaggie07
AG
billyboy2001 said:

No love for The Raven and The Coyote? Kind of hits a different way.

I've always loved this song, such a great story
JABQ04
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I don't think I've been to an REK show where he didn't play it.

I've seen REK several times over the past few years and the only time I hear Merry Christmas is during his Christmas tour. Seen him at several other shows at various times and no song.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Quote:

"Well, it's a real popular song with us, I have nine records out and this song just sort of cropped up and became a real favorite and we get requests for it all year round. So, I had to create this rule, I call it the 'Linen Rule', where we don't play the song as long as you can wear linen. So it saves it and makes it fresh for the holiday season. So we start playing it around Labor Day and we play it on through the holidays. It's the big number particularly in December that we close with." Robert Earl Keen

Found it. Was apparently on the Wikipedia page for the song.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I've been to at least 5-6 shows where he didn't play Merry Christmas from the Family.
Ag_07
AG
Such a great song...Not just the words but the pacing of the instruments and the timing. So perfect for that feeling of hooking a big one.

phl17
Got to meet REK once at a private event several years back and I told him the usual "I'm a big fan" bit. He asked what my favorite song was and I told him The Armadillo Jackal. He smirked and asked why that one? I was maybe 19-20 so naturally I choked and all I could respond with was it's kinda dark. Asked him what his was and he said "Feeling Good Again". Genuinely nice guy. Had a chance to see him at the Hall of Fame and didn't go bc I was busy.
stillmerk
AG
Wild Wind
Phat32
AG
FGA
Mariano
Tom James
CrawlingNo5
AG
"I'll go on downtown" really hits me everytime I go back home to college station.

We used to get crazy and jump in our cars
We'd burn up the highways and we'd close down the bars
But now we're all married and some moved away
Now, when we get together there's nothing to say
CapCityAg89
AG
Best cover of long black veil ever - his pacing on that song is perfect.
NMAlamoAggie
AG
Love's a Word I'd Never Throw Around
birdman
No Kinda Dancer
expresswrittenconsent
I celebrate the man's entire catalog. I'm a Robert Keen fan.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nice reference.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
No love for the lomein song?

(I don't have any, just checking if anyone does)
expresswrittenconsent
My favorite REK shows:
1. Solo acoustic double bill with Steve Earle in Yonkers 2013?. I ve seen REK a lot but never solo acoustic, and that was my only time seeing Earle.
2. At Harry's once probably 98 or so. My girl (at the time) and I mostly 2-stepped on the empty 2nd dance floor while REK played to a crowd on the main dance floor.
3 (Hon mention) the Ags @TCU game in Ft Worth around 1995. He was drunk AF and badly warbled the national anthem which pissed off a lot of people (understandably).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.