2021 Books Read

41,625 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 13B
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started Dune today as my series to complete in 2021, so I figured I'd go ahead and start the new thread.

Dune in-progress
Trajan88
AG
Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd.
amercer
AG
The color of magic.
The light fantastic.

Only 39 more to go.
bushytailed
AG
Just started Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I began rereading the series a couple months ago.
mrsbeer05
AG
Currently reading: American Serengeti by Dan Flores
It's a great read if you love the plains. Gifted it to my dad for Christmas and he's also enjoying it.
Aggies76
AG
Just started Empire of the Summer Moon. I'm hooked already.
mrsbeer05
AG
It's one of my favorites
BryanAggie2013
AG
Finished:
Dune

It kind of feels like cheating to put it on here, because I started it on 12/30, but finished it today. Not sure what I am going to start into next, but looking forward to a fun year seeing what everyone here is up to!

Happy reading my friends!
J_Landes89
AG
Goal for this year is 75!!

Got 51/52 last year.. was short of goal by 130 pages.. bummed.

2021 Read so far:

Radical - David Platt
Post removed:
by user
chick79
AG
Currently reading "Sword of San Jacinto" - biography of Sam Houston. About halfway done. I'm enjoying it.
07ag
AG
30 books last year

currently reading:

fighter pilot - the memoirs of robin olds

The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson
https://ts.la/eric59704
AustinAg2K
Currently reading "Leviathan Wakes." Really enjoying it so far.

Goal this year is 20 books. The 18 I finished last year is probably a personal record. Certainly the most since HS. I'm planning on packing in as much reading as I can the first half of the year, because I'm assuming Earth opens back up the second half, and I'll have less time.
Claude!
Just finished "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller, about the 8th Air Force in WW2. Very good. Next up is "Lords of the Realm" by John Helyar, a baseball history.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm looking for a good book about the American submarine campaign in the Pacific theater.
Clavell
AG
About half way through John Berend's "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" Been on my list, but finally saw it on a Kindle special for about $2. Slow moving, but interesting.
AgLiving06
Reread Ready Player One after several years. I don't think the book is particularly good and the writing is pretty bad. This is one of the few times the movie is legitimately better than the book as they were able to take the loose story in the book and make something of it.
spag.ag2003
AG
Just started Cornwell's The Last Kingdom series - damn it's good so far. Saxon army routed by invading Danes, young Saxon royal boy taken hostage by Ragnar. Have never read Cornwell before and he is as good as advertised.

Also jumping into some of the Star Wars EU stuff. Thrawn trilogy. I've never had any desire to jump into any Star Wars media outside of the movies but Mando season 2 changed that. Want to at least get a taste of some of the EU stuff being mined for upcoming seasons.
fish_rich
AG
Finished "The Sympathizer",
starting Ready Player 2
Jinx
  • The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, Book One) by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
  • Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, Book Two)
  • Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus by Christopher Perkins (D&D)
  • Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive, Book Three)
  • Watership Down

jkag89
  • News of the World by Paulette Jiles
dc509
AG
Rhythm of War - Brandon Sanderson

This is an awesome series. I've seen reviewers say this book doesn't progress the story, but in any series like this there are always books that represent a pivot point and that is this book. I could use a little more Kaladin going forward, but all in all it was great. Sanderson did it again.
GIF Reactor
AG
Started up Master and Commander right after Christmas. I really slacked off in 2020 on my reading, but picked up a daily crossword habit, plus started a re-watch of Scrubs, so those ate into my reading time.
Proposition Joe
Started a re-read of Way of Kings (and then Words of Radiance, Oathbringer) back in October in preparation for Rhythm of War's release.

I've made a huge mistake. I forgot just how massive these books are, and how a chapter a day makes this a multiple month ordeal.

But I'm re-invested, can't stop now. Keep your Rhythm of War spoilers away from me!
YouBet
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

Just started Cornwell's The Last Kingdom series - damn it's good so far. Saxon army routed by invading Danes, young Saxon royal boy taken hostage by Ragnar. Have never read Cornwell before and he is as good as advertised.

Also jumping into some of the Star Wars EU stuff. Thrawn trilogy. I've never had any desire to jump into any Star Wars media outside of the movies but Mando season 2 changed that. Want to at least get a taste of some of the EU stuff being mined for upcoming seasons.
They are excellent but you may want to binge read that series if you want to remember everyone. There are so many versions of Magnus or other danish names it's impossible to remember who did what and who lived when once you get 5-6 books in.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend Cornell's Arthurian trilogy and his take on it. It's amazing.
YouBet
AG
Completed
Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7) - James S.A. Corey

Great book in arguably the best sci-fi series running right now. Was surprised to see the time lapse between book 6 and this one. Going to finish out a non-fiction book and then binge some Dresden Files.
J182
AG
Starting Ready Player Two.
I have my next few books lined after that: Black Spire, Jurassic Park, and then the Harry Potter series.
👽
Post removed:
by user
Claude!
Completed: Lords of the Realm. Less a baseball history and more of a history of the player/owner relationship over the years, with a big focus on the evolution of the players' union. Biggest takeaway I got is that for a bunch of smart successful guys, the owners are a bunch of nimrods.

Started: Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. A training manual for dogs and owners; I just bought a new dog and figured it'd be helpful to both me and the dog. We shall see, but I've already gotten some good info.

On deck:
1. Last Stands: Why Men Fight When All Hope Is Lost by Michael Walsh. I'm a sucker for books about war and heroism, and this was favorably reviewed by Victor Davis Hanson, who's written a lot of stuff I like.
2. The Best of Glen Cook. Eighteen pieces of short fiction by one of my favorite fantasy writers. If your unfamiliar with him, he's probably most famous as the author of The Black Company series of books, which was a big influence on Steven Erickson, author of the Malayan Book of the Fallen.

Probably need to start thinking about some other books to line up after those are done.
Post removed:
by user
AgGrad99
AG
Aggies76 said:

Just started Empire of the Summer Moon. I'm hooked already.

Loved that book.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

Completed
Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7) - James S.A. Corey

Great book in arguably the best sci-fi series running right now. Was surprised to see the time lapse between book 6 and this one. Going to finish out a non-fiction book and then binge some Dresden Files.

Book 8 is even better IMO. You watching the show?
AgGrad99
AG
The Moth and The Mountain

Great story about a guy who decided he'd be the first to climb Mt Everest after WWI. It's a very easy read, but a really interesting story about a guy who was very indicative of the changed world after the war.
Jim01
AG
I read the fourth Hunger Games (The Ballad Of Songbirds and Snakes) that my daughter got for Christmas. It was on par with the others in the series. Entertaining.

Then I read Megan Rapinoe One Life, which was good. My daughters a soccer player and we're big USWNT fans.

Next up is "The Club: How the English Premier League Became the Wildest, Richest, Most Disruptive Force in Sports"
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Got halfway through The Stand, but Happy Crappy killed my buzz for a little while. Hoping to pick it back up later this week.
exitone
AG
Finally picked up 'Ready Player Two' and am about 3/4 the way through.
The first 1/4 was kind of a drag. Between that and where I'm at now though has been better. There is a strong theme throughout related to what you give up to play in the Oasis. Both from a personal standpoint, and a cultural standpoint. It's kind of interesting, and probably a concern for society at some point in the future.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.