*** Hillbilly Elegy ***

1,571 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rynning
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Premiered on Netflix a few days ago. Doesn't seem to be getting the best reviews and is fairly predictable, but I liked it a lot.

The cast is very good and it feels real enough to make you care. Glenn Close is great as the old grandma who's been through it all and tries to keep things together. The casting of Owen Asztalos as the young JD character may be the best match I've seen to an older counterpart, if that makes sense. It's easy to believe they are the same person separated by just 10 or 12 years.

Also appreciated that they told the whole story in just two hours rather than drag it out into 4 or 5 episodes, which they could have easily done.
Charpie
AG
It's a great story.

What I wish people would take away from it is that this story could be told by anyone from any culture.
Frok
AG
Critics: 25%
Audience: 81%

Makes me want to watch it.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Glenn Close is great as Memaw. Very thankful to have a normal family after watching movies like this.
leachfan
She looked like the real Mema
Dr. Spaceman
I decided to watch it after reading a thread on the politics board which speculated that the bad reviews were due to the conservative leanings of the author who wrote the book

I found it to be pretty meh and kind of boring. Adams and Close were good as expected, but the writing and overall feel were pretty weak. It was too simple and wrapped up into a nice little Hollywood story that was the kind of movie that would've been made 25 years ago.

It wasn't 25% RT bad by any stretch, and I have no doubt that many reviews were negative simply because the JD guy is a conservative, but I did agree with a good bit of a few negative reviews I read as well. I think if the guy was liberal, the reviews would've been in the 40-50% range.

Overall, I thought it fell flat and was a bit forgettable.
Buck Turgidson
It was not nearly as good as the book, but it was okay. Lotta people in Appalachia with deficient life skills and completely self-defeating attitudes. They are their own worst enemies (the basic point of the book).
rynning
AG
If you've ever known someone who broke out of a truly dysfunctional situation when they were young against all odds, there is usually *someone* who took them under their wing, believed in them, and encouraged them to work hard and make good decisions along the way. This is one of those stories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.