How did cast react to Sofia Coppola on set during Godfather III?

1,334 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Potcake
Four Seasons Landscaping
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watching it again on BBC. How horrible she was in that movie has been beaten to death.

Are there any stories about how the rest of the cast dealt with the situation during filming?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I don't believe there's much out there about that story line. Diane Keaton has been on record though saying her performance has been viewed unfairly and that she was thrust into the role last second and did ok under those circumstances.

jokershady
AG
She also didn't have much (if any) experience either is that correct?
MROD92
There's no such thing as Godfather III, only 1 and 2 exist
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I don't believe there's much out there about that story line. Diane Keaton has been on record though saying her performance has been viewed unfairly and that she was thrust into the role last second and did ok under those circumstances.

Sounds like they gave her an offer she couldnt refuse.

Txgunrnnr
AG
jokershady said:

She also didn't have much (if any) experience either is that correct?

Well she was one of the only few to appear in all three movies.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The part was supposed to be played by Winona Ryder, but she had to quit when she arrived on set because of exhaustion. Filming had already been delayed just to wait for her, so Coppola had to scramble and just cast Sofia, as she already knew the script.

She was so bad, though.
expresswrittenconsent
She was not good,, but she wasn't worse than the plot. The Andy Garcia "*******" who was retconned from the book is idiotic. The catholic church plot was ambitious but a complete failure. Kay and Connie are in the film with nothing to do and provide nothing, but they stupidly refused to pay Bobby Duvall, so the 2nd most important character in the saga is absent.

I'm curious if OP (or anyone here) watched the veesion Coppola recently re-edited of GF3 that supposedly improves the terrible plot, or the crappy original 1990 version. I have not yet watched the new edit of gf3.
Vince Blake
The recut comes out December 8th. I'll give it a shot at some point.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

She was not good,, but she wasn't worse than the plot. The Andy Garcia "*******" who was retconned from the book is idiotic. The catholic church plot was ambitious but a complete failure. Kay and Connie are in the film with nothing to do and provide nothing, but they stupidly refused to pay Bobby Duvall, so the 2nd most important character in the saga is absent.

I'm curious if OP (or anyone here) watched the veesion Coppola recently re-edited of GF3 that supposedly improves the terrible plot, or the crappy original 1990 version. I have not yet watched the new edit of gf3.

Its gotten some good early buzz actually. From a few people that have seen it.

Agree on your points.

Sofia wasn't good, but didn't sink the movie on her own

First cousin love story was misplaced

Church business was a convoluted mess

Not having Duvall was a killer. Hamilton brought zilch.
expresswrittenconsent
I saw where Diane Keaton has raved about it and how it redeems Sofia.
Potcake
AG
Lost in Translation absolves her from all acting sins.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.