USA Network Type Shows

2,921 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bonfarr
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
During this whole quarantine, my wife and I have been rewatching a lot of the old USA Network shows like Psych, Monk, White Collar, Suits, etc. They aren't the greatest shows (except for Psych, which is the greatest show), but they are a lot of fun. Are there any shows like these currently being made, or are these now just relics of the early 2010s?
Fenrir
Pretty much relics. I'm assuming based on your statement that you have already watched the psych movies? They are amazing.
scrimp
AG
USA had some quality shows going for a while--the one's you mentioned, and quite a few others--Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Covert Affairs and a few others were pretty good summer programming. Mr. Robot got some great reviews, as well.

However, it seems like USA has moved to WWE, reality shows, and syndicated reruns.

TBS and FX were putting out some decent original programming for a while, but it seems as if they have moved away from that a bit as well.

I think most of these types of shows have either disappeared or found a home somewhere else. Bosch is a good example on Amazon Prime.
Big Cat `93
AG
I still miss Monk. At least a couple of channels show reruns. I wish one would pick up Burn Notice.
Legal Custodian
AG
Chuck is a good show to get into. It's on Amazon Prime right now I believe.
double aught
AG
Harris watches Burn Notice!
jamesf
AG
We finished watching all of Alias a few months ago. It is on Amazon Prime right now.
Ferg
Amazon has Spenser: For Hire, a really great show from the 80s with Robert Urich and Avery Brooks. It only lasted 3 years but was really good.

We are currently rewatching rizzoli and isles on Hulu.
The Collective
AG
Covert Affairs. Piper Perabo.
LHIOB
AG
We are watching Suits and its pretty good
Diggity
AG
Did you just compare Bosch to Burn Notice and Suits?

I'm all for mindless, fun television, but Bosch ain't that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Suits as unrealistic as it was, was fun at times. Great writing.

Silk Stockings was a classic
Duncan Idaho
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Silk Stockings was a classic

Damned right it was.
AustinAg2K

We are going through Suits right now. The first couple of seasons are great, but at some point the show just becomes about yelling and throwing briefs down on the table.
JD Shellnut
AG
I see Burn Notice is on prime. Time for a rewatch.
Ferg
The Mentalist is on Prime also.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AustinAg2K said:

We are going through Suits right now. The first couple of seasons are great, but at some point the show just becomes about yelling and throwing briefs down on the table.
I definitely do not mean the legal dialogue. I'm talking more about the personal stuff. The legal stuff feels like it was written by a 12 year old at times.
Duncan Idaho
Plus Donna is fine as ****
CW Griswold
double aught said:

And I love Harris 'cause he has really odd choices in entertainment. Like, his favorite TV shows are hour-long dramas on USA and TNT. Like, you know how you see billboards for shows like burn notice. You're like, "who the heck watches burn notice?" Harris watches burn notice! He loves it! Harris told me his senior quote's gonna be, "TNT knows drama." you call up Harris, you hear things like, "hey, Harris. What's going on?" "I'm pissed off, man! "my dad just erased all my shows from the DVR. Guess I won't find out what happens on Las Vegas this week." who DVRs Las Vegas? Josh Duhamel doesn't DVR Las Vegas. And you don't get that joke, 'cause Josh Duhamel's the star of Las Vegas, and nobody watches Las Vegas!
-
mazag08
AG
Suits is the best in your list.
scrimp
AG
No, I wasn't comparing Bosch to Burn Notice or Suits in style. I was trying to say that there are more outlets for shows than there was 10 years ago. USA Network picked up/developed some shows that didn't really fit the 4 major networks. They seemed to have a great little niche, and did well by running new shows during the summer when the major networks were in reruns.

With Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, Hulu, etc, there are multiple options for show creators to get a project made. 10 years ago a show like Bosch, if it got passed by the majors, may have been given a shot by a USA Network, FX, or TBS. It seems like those 3 have given up on original programming, since the streaming options have jumped into the game.
Diggity
AG
That's true. Bosch is a slow burn show that's not for everyone. It actually takes seasons to really get going, rather than episodes. Definitely worth it though.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
When I win the Powerball I'm going to fund a Psych-Scrubs crossover movie with Turk, J.D., Shawn and Gus solving a mystery at a hospital.
double aught
AG
CW Griswold said:

double aught said:

And I love Harris 'cause he has really odd choices in entertainment. Like, his favorite TV shows are hour-long dramas on USA and TNT. Like, you know how you see billboards for shows like burn notice. You're like, "who the heck watches burn notice?" Harris watches burn notice! He loves it! Harris told me his senior quote's gonna be, "TNT knows drama." you call up Harris, you hear things like, "hey, Harris. What's going on?" "I'm pissed off, man! "my dad just erased all my shows from the DVR. Guess I won't find out what happens on Las Vegas this week." who DVRs Las Vegas? Josh Duhamel doesn't DVR Las Vegas. And you don't get that joke, 'cause Josh Duhamel's the star of Las Vegas, and nobody watches Las Vegas!
Thank you.

This is some early Aziz Ansari stand up in case anyone was wondering.
redline248
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Covert Affairs. Piper Perabo.
My wife watched that for a bit. Did it have more than 1 season?
DTP02
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Chuck is a good show to get into. It's on Amazon Prime right now I believe.

Watched Chuck and Psych for the first time this year. Both great shows to watch as a family with teenagers.

Would love to find another similar show as shows which can be both funny/entertaining and also relatively clean are in short supply.
ChipFTAC01
AG
What was the show about the concierge doc in the Hamptons starring the pot friend from Road Trip and the guy who played the Republican with a conscience on the west Wing?
AgDev01
AG
Royal Pains
MROD92
Silk Stockings!!!! Crime Time after Primetime during my college years!
taxpreparer
AG
I personally miss "Up All Night!" with Rhonda Shear.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
bonfarr
AG
My wife watches Suits and it is the dumbest show on television. Every single episode is the same, lawyer in suit marches into other lawyers office and threatens him. Other lawyer warns him that he will destroy him. Occasionally they leave the office and threaten to destroy other parties.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.