Anybody watch the Great British Baking Show?

1,506 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieDub14
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife started watching this a couple of years ago on Netflix and I ended up liking it. I am not one for cooking shows or reality tv in anyway. Mainly because every other cooking competition shows are the most drama-filled crap with intense music and fast cutaways.

The Great British Baking Show is not that way at all. It's just a super relaxing 45 minutes of television and the hosts are pretty funny. You end up getting to know the contestants over the course of the season. The premise of the show is they get 10 or 12 home bakers, so not professional but still good bakers, and each week have them go through three rounds:

1. Signature Challenge (a basic challenge that the contestants can practice on their own throughout the week but then bake on the show)
2. Technical Challenge (contestants have no idea what it is before it starts, a judge will give a bare-bones recipe and the name of what they're baking and then the judges will judge the end product blind)
3. Show-stopper (a creative creation mainly about decoration)

Each week is themed like cake week, chocolate week, etc. and then at the end of the episode the judges will announce who was the best and who wont' be coming back next week. The final round includes the last 3 bakers.

Anyway, I would recommend it for some light TV watching and you just want to feel good about life.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Yeah, I love it. Been watching it ever since they showed up on Netflix several years ago. It's a super refreshing competition reality show. Something both the wife and I can enjoy that we don't have to pay attention to and can jump in and out.
cp2011
AG
Tried the matcha crepe cake from a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Have gotten some helpful tips from watching the show over the years. Appreciate how positive it is
bobinator
AG
Wife and I love it.

I especially love the episodes where either the challenge is really difficult or it's really hot or something and the whole thing is a ****show. The baked alaska episode might be my favorite one of all time.
amercer
AG
Really like watching this one with the kids.

Unlike American reality/competition shows, they don't play up the drama or have to include any *******s in the cast.
Bonfired
AG
cp2011 said:

Tried the matcha crepe cake from a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Have gotten some helpful tips from watching the show over the years. Appreciate how positive it is

Girlfriend and I watch pretty regularly and I do like how they'll sometimes help each other out if time is running short on a challenge.

We've (well, my gf) tried the key lime pie recipe from a few seasons back. along with Bakewell tarts...both were excellent.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Daughter, back from college, has made me watch 2-3 episodes with her.

I love Chopped and a few other cooking or food shows at times.

This one is interesting but I'm just not into baking really. The personalities make it for me more than anything else. can't say I've seen anything on there I would like to have but I'm just not into desserts.

Max Power
AG
I'm not much for baking, but I love this show. It's different from all the US cooking shows. I like that they know 2 of the 3 challenges going in so they have the chance to practice and do their best. The US shows all seem to hinge on just throwing something together on short notice, everyone is stressed out. This is a nice change of pace, even when they're stressed it's nothing like the stress on any US cooking show. I recommend going on youtube and checking out some of the celebrity episodes they do mostly around the holidays, those are really entertaining. Some of my favorite ones were Michael Sheen, Russell Brand, and James Acaster, but there are plenty of more on there to see if you like this show.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Paul Hollywood's essential 100 recipes cookbook is really good

I like the show a lot
rhutton125
AG
Wife loves it. It's very pleasant TV!
evan_aggie
AG
Been watching since BBC days before it got picked up by Netflix even.

I wonder if the original hosts regret leaving when the production changed from BBC. They made a big stink at the time.
rhutton125
AG
I heard that the long-haired host is Old Greg
SkiMo
AG
One of my favorites to wind down. The triple threat of a hot bath, good wine, while watching this show sends me into complete relaxed mode.
Sailor
Wife and I look forward to each new episode on Friday. Love the fact that the contestants are real people and that there is no prize money. Just knowing you came out on top of the others is satisfaction enough for them to compete.
Agthatbuilds
I like the fact that they are basically playing for no reward. They get a bouquet and a cake stand. It's so different than how american shows go about competition.
AggieDub14
AG
I've watched a few episodes with my wife. It's a fun show. I like that the contestants seem to actually care about each other. There's nothing cutthroat about it. Just good friendly television with great looking food.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.