Piano lessons

1,329 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big Cat `93
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 7 year old son has shown interest in learning to play the piano and I'm interested as well.

We have limited space. Can an electronic keyboard work in lieu of an upright piano?

Anything I should look for with instructors or keyboards?
Big Cat `93
AG
Look for a keyboard with 88 weighted keys. There are plenty of options out there. I'd start by shopping online at Sweetwater and Musician's Friend and then checking eBay once you find aomething you like.
DallasTeleAg
Big Cat `93 said:

Look for a keyboard with 88 weighted keys. There are plenty of options out there. I'd start by shopping online at Sweetwater and Musician's Friend and then checking eBay once you find aomething you like.
This.

88 weighted keys is the important thing, here. Everything else is just tone/quality.

For less expensive keyboards, I think Yamaha is still one of the best. I have an 88 weighted key yamaha that sounds fantastic with built-in speakers I bought for $600-700.
DallasTeleAg
Also, being disciplined enough to learn piano is definitely difficult. However, I would say to try to stick with it as long as possible. Even if he ends up dropping it after a few years, he will have built a foundation on which to return at some point or even go to other instruments.
Big Cat `93
AG
Agreed. I only took lessons from third to sixth grade, but I can still read music and know where all the notes are on the keys.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Anything I should look for with instructors

check out yousician.
PatAg
AG
bearamedic99 said:

My 7 year old son has shown interest in learning to play the piano and I'm interested as well.

We have limited space. Can an electronic keyboard work in lieu of an upright piano?

There is a decent chance the music teacher at his school would have contacts. Or if not his elementary school, the middle school he would feed into would.
agchino
AG
We got a Yamaha weighted keyboard for our daughters and their instructor has no issue with it. He put it in "grand piano" mode so that the volume of the notes was proportional to how hard the keys were pressed.

It also has a sustain pedal to work on that when they get there. What area are you in? We may be able to recommend our instructor (Mid-cities DFW).
johnnyblaze36
AG
bearamedic99 said:

It absolutely can. I bought the 61 key version of this product below a month ago from Sweetwater along with a Roland amp and it is incredible.

Plus it does so much more than just standard piano and your son will have a blast playing around with all the different sounds and features including organ, brass, drum kits, synth, etc.

Here is the 88 key product:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS88--roland-juno-ds88-88-key-synthesizer

And here is a video review:

bearamedic99
AG
agchino said:

We got a Yamaha weighted keyboard for our daughters and their instructor has no issue with it. He put it in "grand piano" mode so that the volume of the notes was proportional to how hard the keys were pressed.

It also has a sustain pedal to work on that when they get there. What area are you in? We may be able to recommend our instructor (Mid-cities DFW).

New Hampshire but thanks
bearamedic99
AG
Wow. That is more pricey than I imagined.
Big Cat `93
AG
The Juno is a pro-level board.

I haven't looked at software synths lately, but a cheap option may be an 88-key controller hooked up to a laptop or tablet running a free or cheap plug-in.
DallasTeleAg
Go Yamaha.
AustinAg2K
If you're just seeing if he likes it, I don't know that I'd invest in the full 88 keys right away. The price jumps up quickly on keyboards, and early on you rarely need all 88 keys. Its a lot of money to spend to only have your kid quit in three months. If your child really gets into it, you can always upgrade later. You definitely want weighted keys, so if you touch the keys lightly it will sound light.

My son has been playing a couple of years and we got him a 61 key keyboard recently, so he could put headphones on and play. He doesn't seem to be missing anything yet, but his has a feature where he move the keys up or down an octive, so he play all the high and low notes just not at the same time.
johnnyblaze36
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Wow. That is more pricey than I imagined.
That's why I opted for the 61 key. I'm by no means a musician but have bought a variety of instruments recently and learning and the 61 I spotted came well recommended by my Sweetwater rep. The amp was an add on because it doesn't have built in speakers but it works with headphones.

I forgot to mention the bass and electric guitar and strings sounds. It may be too much for a 7 year old just starting out (both pricewise and all around functionality). For myself I just figured it's a one time purchase and doesn't take up too much room so I might as well get something that can just about do it all.
DallasTeleAg
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-p-45lxb-digital-piano-with-stand-and-bench

The only other piece you need is a sustain pedal. An answer to one of the questions about a sustain pedal on the site says it is included, but I would confirm that. A sustain pedal is a must have.

Don't get a keyboard with a million different settings and flashing lights. The purpose is to learn to play the piano, not sit around and make noises. If he starts to practice and decides it's something he wants to dedicate himself to, then you can invest in a keyboard that can do all sorts of things.

Everyone has a differing opinion, which I get. However, I liken it to the guitar. You can go out and get all the coolest effects pedals in the world; that doesn't make you a good player. Go with the bare bones setup and learn to play the instrument.

DallasTeleAg
Here is a great review of the piano. The one I linked included the stand and bench, as well.

Diggity
AG
Find a Yamaha or similar 88 weighted on Facebook marketplace or a trading site.

If the kiddo doesn't take to it, you'll be able to sell it for around what you paid.

That Yousician looks cool. I might pick it up for myself
bearamedic99
AG
Ty all
Diggity
AG
https://www.adorama.com/cscdps150.html?
Big Cat `93
AG
Black Friday piano sales
Big Cat `93
AG
https://www.musicradar.com/news/save-25-off-a-full-sized-williams-legato-iii-88-key-digital-piano-just-dollar19999-this-black-friday?fbclid=IwAR2DFrCN_VVlKCW6a60sarYPTG9gH0LOyr7rxB5GjFDEHSVWqNnm3g1PgIc
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.