Empire Strikes Back on the big screen

2,069 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This may be buried on a Star Wars thread somewhere but I just found out the greatest movie of all time is on the big screen this weekend. I know Movie Tavern is playing it, not sure who else. Just a PSA to anyone interested.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
AMC too. I imagine many will have it for the 40th anniversary.

may check it out if tickets are available; never seen the first two on the big screen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw it in July.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It was amazing back on the big screen.Every moment, every detail, just a beautiful movie end to end. Also I'm interviewing someone from the movie in 16 minutes. /humblebrag
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ask your interviewee about their famous finger point, which may or may not resemble the one below:

Duncan Idaho
I don't care what you do in that interview as long as you respond to one statment with a definative "I know"
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw it back in July. But what the heck, it's my favorite movie, so might just go again.
double aught
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

It was amazing back on the big screen.Every moment, every detail, just a beautiful movie end to end. Also I'm interviewing someone from the movie in 16 minutes. /humblebrag
John Ratzenberger?!?!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Nice, thanks OP, my son and I just bought tickets and are super pumped.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
double aught said:

MuckRaker96 said:

John Ratzenberger?!?!
Wouldn't it be funny to find out Ratzenberger was in every Star Wars movie in some fashion just like he's in every Pixar movie?
Mr. White
I'm certain Ratzenberger was dubbed telling Leia they had to close up shop.

Billy Dee Williams is perfect in this.

Luke eating a dry turd will never not be funny.

Five story high Leia face is worth the price of admission.

wcb
AG
Seeing it tonight. Pretty pumped.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
wcb said:

Seeing it tonight. Pretty pumped.
My brother same out to see it with me at Star Cinema Grill back in July. We saw it together with my dad in 1980 when he was 9 and I was 6. You add on 40 years and you realize how special it is to see it again together.

My favorite unintentionally hilarious moment remains when Vader whirls to say "General Veers! Prepare your men!" and Veers for some reason is like 6 inches from Vader's face. Would have loved to have Vader go "General Veeers! JESUS CHRIST! Why are you so close to me?"

My brother and I had the same thought at the same time watching it on the big screen - obviously the thrill of hearing Vader is Luke's father dominates that movie on a first showing, but the firsts of realizing that Yoda is the Jedi Master, of seeing Luke pull the saber to him in the Wampa cave; of Obi-Wan's ghost first appearing; of the I Love You / I Know exchange; Yoda lifting the ship from the swamp; Vader in the cave; Yoda mentioning "another" and my favorite underrated moment - Leia's face when Luke calls to her through the Force.

Seeing all those things for the first time. Wow.
Log
AG
I did this in 1997 at Post Oak Mall, complete with cola soaked sticky floors and no stadium seats.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Post Oak Mall? They've got everything you need!
Carlo4
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Post Oak Mall? They've got everything you need!

It's a great shopping place
wbt5845
AG
I saw it in theater on opening night in May of 1980. Was great.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
wbt5845 said:

That's what I call a humble brag.

I didn't quite make it on opening night, as I lived in Lake Jackson and the movie didn't show up there until June 1980. But Dad lived in theHouston, and as it so happened, I was on my weekend with him the weekend after TESB opened, and I was able to convince him to do a "drive-by" of the Westchase 5 theater @ Gessner & Westheimer just to see what the line was like. It wasn't terrible, so we got to get in line for tickets. Longest moment of my 12 years at that time, or so it seemed, as we got closer to the box office, as I kept expecting them to put up a sign saying SOLD OUT. That didn't happen, and then we discovered the second and much longer line that we had to wait in until they were ready to start seating.
wbt5845
AG
High school buddy was a projector operator at a big theater in North Dallas. He wasn't working that night, but got some tickets for me and a couple of other guys. Best part was we got in the theater before they opened the doors so we had prime seats.
YouBet
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

wbt5845 said:

That's what I call a humble brag.

I didn't quite make it on opening night, as I lived in Lake Jackson and the movie didn't show up there until June 1980. But Dad lived in theHouston, and as it so happened, I was on my weekend with him the weekend after TESB opened, and I was able to convince him to do a "drive-by" of the Westchase 5 theater @ Gessner & Westheimer just to see what the line was like. It wasn't terrible, so we got to get in line for tickets. Longest moment of my 12 years at that time, or so it seemed, as we got closer to the box office, as I kept expecting them to put up a sign saying SOLD OUT. That didn't happen, and then we discovered the second and much longer line that we had to wait in until they were ready to start seating.
Saw all of the OT on opening night. Opening night of Star Wars was at a drive-in.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I only managed Return ot the Jedi on opening night, but only after I followed through on a promise I made to my Mom to ace my biology final that I had to take the day before the movie came out. I have seen all SW movies since Jedi (oh, and including the special editions in 1997) on opening day.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
wbt5845 said:

Same.

Specifically remember seeing a trailer for The Shining with this movie. Pretty intense for an 8 year old.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I only managed Return ot the Jedi on opening night, but only after I followed through on a promise I made to my Mom to ace my biology final that I had to take the day before the movie came out. I have seen all SW movies since Jedi (oh, and including the special editions in 1997) on opening day.

Special edition of ESB came out on my 23rd birthday in 1997. Started a fine tradition of skipping work for star wars
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.