Anyone perform or enjoy magic?

4,553 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by imjustsayin
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I took up magic as a bit of a hobby at the start of the pandemic. I've since gotten pretty serious about it. Mostly card magic with some mentalism and a few other basics. Not sure the best place to post this or if there is any interest out there. As far as shows I've watched Magic is Humans, Fool Us and a bit of Death by Magic. Also for entertainment reading I read Magic is Dead (which I loved). Have tons of other books and YouTube I've learned from.

ETA: Added my new YouTube info down below.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

AgPediRPh
AG
ORAggieFan
I forget the horrible stereotypes associated. I'm more into things like this:
redd38
AG
watty
AG
That dude is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
aggiegrad01
AG
Check out The Magic Word podcast!
ORAggieFan
watty said:

That dude is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
He has a ton more on his YouTube. Also worth checking out Xavier Spade and Alex Pandrea, although they do more teaching than performance videos on their channels. Spidey Hypnosis is another good one.
Aggie1205
AG
Ben Jackson is class of '09 and I know has won several prestigious awards. Look him up.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Not magic but Richard turner is a must watch with a deck of cards.
Amazing man and an incredible person
lazuras_dc
AG
I always laughed at and thought magic was stupid. Then I went to Magic Castle in Hollywood a couple times in the last 5 years and really pretty stunned at the quality and skill of these magicians.

I watched the Penn and Teller Master Class and have done a few "illusions" for my family and gotten some fun reactions.
The Milkman
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Ben Jackson is class of '09 and I know has won several prestigious awards. Look him up.
Seen him do a small show at the HMNS. Really really good
J182
AG
👽
CDub06
AG
That is a CLASSIC
heddleston
AG
It's not in this one, but the fact that I'm not registered on any government or medical documents as 5ft Ace of Clubs is a testament to my self control.
ORAggieFan
lazuras_dc said:

I always laughed at and thought magic was stupid. Then I went to Magic Castle in Hollywood a couple times in the last 5 years and really pretty stunned at the quality and skill of these magicians.

I watched the Penn and Teller Master Class and have done a few "illusions" for my family and gotten some fun reactions.
That Masterclass is actually what got me started. It's a good intro for a few basics. I'm planning to head up to the Magic Castle once it re-opens. How'd you get in if you don't mind me asking?
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
For those I. The houston area, Ben Jackson is an Ag and puts on a great show. Can also be booked for private/corporate events. That's how I first saw him.

https://www.benjacksonmagic.com/

(Not Ben jackson)
Thanks & Gig 'Em
aggieactor01
AG
Check out Dennis Watkins and the Magic Parlor show he does. He's fantastic and is a friend of mine. He's in Chicago now but originally from Texas. His grandfather owned a magic shop in Dallas for years.

He has an open ended run at the Palmer House hotel in Chicago that for now he's doing virtually until he can go back to in person. Some of his weekly shows he teaches a trick.

Here is his appearance on Fool Us:

lazuras_dc
AG
ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

That Masterclass is actually what got me started. It's a good intro for a few basics. I'm planning to head up to the Magic Castle once it re-opens. How'd you get in if you don't mind me asking?

A friend of my cousins is a member there so usually he'll take us if we ask when we're in town.
GoAgs92
AG
Si Stebbins FTW
ORAggieFan
lazuras_dc said:

ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

A friend of my cousins is a member there so usually he'll take us if we ask when we're in town.

That's awesome. Is he a magician?
ORAggieFan
aggieactor01 said:

Check out Dennis Watkins and the Magic Parlor show he does. He's fantastic and is a friend of mine. He's in Chicago now but originally from Texas. His grandfather owned a magic shop in Dallas for years.

He has an open ended run at the Palmer House hotel in Chicago that for now he's doing virtually until he can go back to in person. Some of his weekly shows he teaches a trick.

Here is his appearance on Fool Us:

That was great. My guess is he knew he wouldn't fool them and some of the best I've seen aren't trying to. I'll check him out once I'm traveling for work again. Any links to virtual offerings?
lazuras_dc
AG
ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

Yes I believe that's a requirement to get membership you have to perform in front of their "board ". He's not a professional but does it as a hobby.
ORAggieFan
lazuras_dc said:

ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

ORAggieFan said:

lazuras_dc said:

Yes I believe that's a requirement to get membership you have to perform in front of their "board ". He's not a professional but does it as a hobby.

Yeah, I may try for the non resident membership for people that live more than 60 miles away.
ORAggieFan
Fun note. Neil Patrick Harris was president of the board at Magic Castle.
aggieactor01
AG
You bet:

https://www.themagicparlourchicago.com/

https://denniswatkins.net/

Glad you liked it! And yeah, he didn't really expect to fool them. It's been a while since I talked to him about it but I think that was a trick from his grandfather. Or had elements of one his grandfather taught him. Something like that.
ORAggieFan
Watching a magic video and see this guy in an Aggie shirt.

watty
AG
So just last night I watched this David Blaine video where he does this trick on Michael Jordan.

I don't know about y'all, but when I watched, when Blaine tells him to name any card he wanted out of the 52 cards, I picked the exact same card as MJ did, and then when he was told to pick a number between 1-30, again I picked the exact same number as MJ did. Considering that the odds of that happening are 1:1560 if it were completely random, that part had me all shook up before he even finished the trick. Several people in the comments said they also picked the exact same card.

ORAggieFan
Well, I started a YouTube Channel. Let me know what you think. If you enjoy, please Subscribe, Like, etc as it really helps the channel grow.

Channel: youtube.com/c/DPMagic

A few of my favorites:

Also on Facebook facebook.com/DPMagicSD
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Highly recommend Magic Castle
ORAggieFan
El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

lazuras_dc said:

I got to perform for a few regulars at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago and was my best ever performance. Feedback was great. Actually had Aggie Rolando Santos participate in the trick as well.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
ORAggieFan said:

El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

lazuras_dc said:

I got to perform for a few regulars at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago and was my best ever performance. Feedback was great. Actually had Aggie Rolando Santos participate in the trick as well.

Yeah my only trip there was with my then GF and her Brother (his husband and their crew) on her birthday / the evening before the day I was set to propose.

Well, someone must have spilled the beans, because Amber was the center of 2 shows in different rooms where they really played on that proposal anxiety. My now wife's radar was on high alert and she was sure I was going to propose there / on her birthday.

Twice they had her build anticipation before opening a small box and both times she fell for it. She was angry with me by the end of the night because of all the pump fakes. So much so, that I caught her by complete surprise the next day.

Will never forget that weekend!!
ORAggieFan
New video up today.
Drawkcab
Love that dude. He solves puzzles too which is pretty cool to watch.

I enjoy a good card trick involving slight of hand. If the deck has to be set up a certain way it kind of ruins it for me. That's not impressive, it's just math.
Cincoag02
AG
Awesome to see this DP. Showed this to AH and the kids the other day. Crazy how good you have become at this in a short time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.