Happy LOST Day

5,284 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jim01
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Premiered 16 years ago today.

I'm currently in the middle of a full series rewatch (on S5 right now), and man. Still a fantastic show.

There's a few duds here and there in every season, but when it's good, it's so good.

Obviously some stuff seems dated now (like the really long seasons and constant cliffhangers before commercial breaks), but in a way, it's a cool relic of the past, of how TV used to be before the internet age. And this was the show that took us into that new age.

I highly recommend a rewatch for those who haven't watched it since 2010, or for those who've never watched it before. (Currently streaming on Hulu.)

And if you don't mind spoilers (or have seen it already), here are the events of September 22, 2004, in real time.

Bunk Moreland

what an agonizing sound when you had to wait another week for the next ep.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Still waiting for the next DriveShaft album to come out.

Probably need to work up a Lost Hotties Tournament in celebration of the anniversary.
Frok
AG
I've been rewatching this on Amazon Prime(Even have to deal with commercials)

I'm in season 3, I've enjoyed going through it again.
tk for tu juan
Finished the full series rewatch earlier this month. Hadn't watched S6 since 2010, but I had rewatched various episodes over the years, mainly in S1 thru 3, and of coarse the Constant (S4 ep 5). S6 was much better the second time around already knowing the end and not worrying about everything being answered.
caleblyn
Great show. The episode I remember most was when Locke got caught in the door, and the back of the door had a hidden map. The internet was very much buzzing for the next week after that episode!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Make sure you do Dirty Island Kate, and Clean Kate as separate categories.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Desmond consistently has the best episodes. (Flashes Before Your Eyes, and of course The Constant, a top 5 episode in TV history.)
tk for tu juan
caleblyn said:

Great show. The episode I remember most was when Locke got caught in the door, and the back of the door had a hidden map. The internet was very much buzzing for the next week after that episode!

Season 2 thread Page 27, wish the old photo/website links still worked
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/489259/27#discussion
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice! Found the S3 thread. This is where I started watching as it aired.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/704584/1
TCTTS
AG
What a thread.

Reading everyone's reactions to the finale/flash-forward twist in real time is hilarious. And this was my favorite gem leading up to it all...

Quote:

These "flashbacks" sure due seem fishy...especially since its the season finale

I also think that might have been my first ever try-to-explain-it-all-for-everyone-in-one-huge-post post.

So funny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

- It's Michael in the coffin. The few people featured in the funeral scene (besides Jack) were of color (both inside and outside the funeral home), which would lead us to the logical conclusion that it's a man of color inside the coffin as well.
Welp.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Make sure you do Dirty Island Kate, and Clean Kate as separate categories.
I was quite literally about to say that.
cbr
AG
interesting that this popped up, my wife never saw it, and i only saw it once on a flu binge.

just started it recently. we are on season 2 now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gotta say, I'm so glad that I just missed the S3 thread (I think I joined TA in late 07), and I had ZERO inkling of the twist at the end. (There of course was no reddit or Twitter yet.)

My mind was blown at that final scene. It actually took me a good 10 seconds after Kate walked out of that car before it finally hit me what was going on.

To this day, still my favorite twist in TV history.
Jim01
AG
Still one of my top 5 all time shows. Holds up great. To hell with the haters!!!

I don't know what it was about that season 3 finale but from that very first scene, Jack on a flight from Australia, drinking, with a long beard, looking haggard like he'd been on a island, I immediately thought it was a flash forward. The ending I was wondering who the girl in the car was going to be, but it didn't blow my mind that it was a flash forward.

Plenty of other mind blowing moments of course, like early on the walkabout episode reveal that Locke was in a wheelchair before the crash.

The finale I was so in my head processing it live that it didn't really sink it. I remember rewatching it the next day and being a blubbering mess.

So great. Might have to do another rewatch soon.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gotta say, I'm so glad that I just missed the S3 thread (I think I joined TA in late 07), and I had ZERO inkling of the twist at the end. (There of course was no reddit or Twitter yet.)

My mind was blown at that final scene. It actually took me a good 10 seconds after Kate walked out of that car before it finally hit me what was going on.

To this day, still my favorite twist in TV history.

Same. Just sat there speechless for a good 30 seconds after it ended, mind blown.

Favorite episode of television of all time.
CowtownAg06
AG
I've never seen that cut but my heart was pumping at the end.
SNES Chalmers
Chipotlemonger
AG
Been doing a re-watch recently with my wife who had never seen the show. We just got to The Constant the other day and watched it, and man, that episode is so good. More memorable and has more impact watching it during the middle of a re-watch for sure than just randomly watching it I would say!
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Constant is my favorite episode of any tv series.
AgShaun00
AG
Our daughters name is kate. We loved this show and the name.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Going to give you guys the tough task of listing some nominations for Hottest on the Island (and off of it too) - pictures are encouraged.
Frok
AG
I know most don't care about this but one thing I do appreciate is the show is somewhat tame with the violence and nudity since it was on network TV.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In rough order:

Dirty Island Kate

Clean Kate

Claire

Juliet

Penny

Naomi

Alex

Ana Lucia

Charlotte

Nikki

Eloise (Young)

Shannon

Sarah

Sun

Libby
tk for tu juan
Does the lotto girl count?

https://lostpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Brittany_Perrineau
DrEvazanPhD
Sun too low, Charlotte (aka Eric Stoltz in Mask) too high
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'd put Sun as high as #2, and in some episodes #1.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is my favorite theme from the show, even ahead of "Life and Death".

Basically a cheat code to get me in the feels every time it's used. Giacchino is a damn genius!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I went down the rabbit hole of some of my favorite scenes on YouTube today. The one that stands out the most for me is just after Hurley runs the guy down with the VW bus when they've got Sayid, Jin, and Bernard captured. The Other takes his eyes off Sayid for a minute, and Sayid trips him and breaks his neck using only his legs.

Also watched when Charlie kills Ethan Rom. I remember that fight in the rain and thinking - man between Jack, Sawyer, Sayid, Locke, and Jin, they've got a bad-ass fighting unit.

Always wish they would have followed the string teased at the end of season 2 when Jack asks Ana Lucia how long it would take them to train an army.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd totally forgotten about that Hurley VW scene and it was such a fist pump moment after everyone has been telling him how useless he is.
lazuras_dc
AG
The list is pretty decent. Personally I think you have Claire and Shannon reversed and id put Sun a couple slots higher.
lazuras_dc
AG
I was a big time LOST hater after the finale. I hated how they sort of just had all these loose ends with things that never ended up mattering and seemed like they were flying by the seat of their pants milking the cash cow.....but now after seeing this thread I watched a series recap/explanation on YouTube and it seemed like the story arc was actually pretty interesting and it may be worth a re-watch.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This was mentioned earlier, but this era of TV was definitely different than the current stream shows, etc. The seasons are very long, and there are full episodes that hyperfocus on smaller storylines just within the bigger show. But that's part of what endears you to the characters and their struggles. In the middle of a rewatch now, first time to do so, and am enjoying it!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.