The Awesome Power of Battlestar Galactica Fans

2,723 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 07ag
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So...great that the fans came to help, but where is the screen actors guild or other wealthy Hollywood folks?

Al Bula
AG
Seriously? No one has posted this yet?!

YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Back in 1978, Battlestar Galactica was the second-most awesome thing I'd seen, behind Star Wars. And I didn't have to go to the theater to watch it, instead turning on the TV once a week. And then they released the pilot theatrically in glorious Sensurround. I built the models of the Viper, Raider, Galactica, and Base Star. I had a movie book (literally frames of the movie to tell the story) as well as the novelization.

So flash forward all those years later, when the SyFy network announced they were making a new version, I was stoked, until I learned of the changes they were going to introduce to some of the characters (Starbuck a woman, for instance). That gave me pause, but I went ahead and watched anyway, and to my pleased surprise, I found the new version to be a worthwhile watch. I'd go so far as to say that it is the absolute best production ever for the SyFy Channel, and one of the best shows I've ever watched on TV.

Curiously, the SyFy Channel replayed the original series not too long ago. I started watching and, oh my, talk about a show that did not age well.

I think I'll rewatch the remake again soon.
Growing up in that era and liking sci-fi meant loving BSG 1978 and Buck Rogers - two shows that if watched today are fantastically terrible but I love to see them on TV. My brother, my dad, and I saw them as can't miss TV every week. BSG had some unreal guest stars on including Fred Astaire and the best 2-parter ever: Lloyd Bridges as Commander Cain of the Pegasus, who couldn't remember from take to take how to pronounce the Cylon targeted planet of Gamoray - sometimes pronouncing it like it rhymed with Manta Ray, other times like it was Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Buck Rogers was a show like none other. Every week Gil Gerard is putting the moves on some new hot chick, even though he's got Wilma to fall back on if need be. Over the past 500 years, the people of earth no longer understand how to maneuver their hands into a thumbs-up position and don't understand it's significance, disco continues to be the major sort of music played at social gatherings, and when the United States finds a man who has been frozen for 500 years, they see no problem with restoring him to his original military status, allowing him to learn to fly a space ship, and sending him on missions like nothing ever happened. Be sort of like if we found Christopher Columbus frozen in a block of ice and told him - we're making you an admiral, here's an aircraft carrier for you to use.

Buck Rogers also contained the Space Vampire episode, which scared the **** out of me as a kid.

Space Vampire scared the crap out of me as well but it seems like I recall he and Buck eventually becoming BFFs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You are thinking about Hawk. They flew space vampire into a sun or something
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Oh yes.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Then they switched the format to being a star trek ripoff on a ship commanded by a descendent of Isaac Asimov's
YouBet
AG
Forgot to Rule 1. Coincidentally, very ahead of her time on the arm band.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Buck was straight pimpin' after 500 years on ice.

07ag
AG
sometimes you gotta roll the hard six
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.