The Awesome Power of Battlestar Galactica Fans

2,725 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 07ag
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the best parts of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series from the 2000s was the performance of Michael Hogan as Col. Saul Tigh. Earlier this year he had a bad accident where he slipped and fell, hitting his head hard and not realizing he was suffering a bad brain bleed. With the COVID outbreak and shutdown following shortly thereafter, it appears he was unable to get a lot of the therapy he needed to recover from it, including multiple therapies. His wife and a family friend finally swallowed their pride and asked for help via a GoFundMe for $150,000 to help with his medical care.

It started yesterday, and has already exceeded its goal.

I put BSG side by side with The Shield as my favorite all-time dramas, and clearly my favorite sci-fi show of all time.

YouBet
AG
Good story and also my favorite sci-fi show of all time. It's incredible.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I couldn't make it past episode 2; does it get better?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

If you couldn't make it past Episode 2 , then no.
heddleston
AG
Sheesh, the first two episodes are up there with some of my all time favorite TV episodes ever, so yeah if those didn't grab you then nothing else will.
Bruce Almighty
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

When you say the first two episodes, are talking about the two part miniseries that officially started the show? If so, I do think it was a bit slow, but the actual first episode titled "33" is one of the most intense episodes of tv ever made. If that bored you, then the show isn't for you.
91_Aggie
AG
It is a horrible show that changes completley every season (almost as bad as Fringe did... classic making it up as they went)
And the "great" actor in the OP was unbearable to watch as chewed through the scenery whenever he was onscreen.

You will regret the time you spent watching it especially when you get to the WTF ending.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

When you say the first two episodes, are talking about the two part miniseries that officially started the show? If so, I do think it was a bit slow, but the actual first episode titled "33" is one of the most intense episodes of tv ever made. If that bored you, then the show isn't for you.

I'm talking about them being chased and jumping to escape the Cylons every 30 minutes or whatever ... that was okay.

The 2nd one? Meehhhh

The chick was hot though
Bruce Almighty
AG
91_Aggie said:

It is a horrible show that changes completley every season (almost as bad as Fringe did... classic making it up as they went)
And the "great" actor in the OP was unbearable to watch as chewed through the scenery whenever he was onscreen.

You will regret the time you spent watching it especially when you get to the WTF ending.

I don't understand these posts. If you thought it was so horrible, why did you watch it? If I don't like something, I'm not going to waste my time with it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
And your trashing a guy who is fighting for his life. Did you hate Black Panther too?
GoAgs92
AG
No wonder he fell...bad depth perception with an eye patch on.

Heal soon kid!
91_Aggie
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

91_Aggie said:

I don't understand these posts. If you thought it was so horrible, why did you watch it? If I don't like something, I'm not going to waste my time with it.

Meh. I am a nerd through and through. Other nerds said it was good. Kept waiting for it to get good. Then it became "i have watched this much... now i have to finish"

Just such a goofy show all-in-all... but if you enjoy crap, i won't judge you
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Back in 1978, Battlestar Galactica was the second-most awesome thing I'd seen, behind Star Wars. And I didn't have to go to the theater to watch it, instead turning on the TV once a week. And then they released the pilot theatrically in glorious Sensurround. I built the models of the Viper, Raider, Galactica, and Base Star. I had a movie book (literally frames of the movie to tell the story) as well as the novelization.

So flash forward all those years later, when the SyFy network announced they were making a new version, I was stoked, until I learned of the changes they were going to introduce to some of the characters (Starbuck a woman, for instance). That gave me pause, but I went ahead and watched anyway, and to my pleased surprise, I found the new version to be a worthwhile watch. I'd go so far as to say that it is the absolute best production ever for the SyFy Channel, and one of the best shows I've ever watched on TV.

Curiously, the SyFy Channel replayed the original series not too long ago. I started watching and, oh my, talk about a show that did not age well.

I think I'll rewatch the remake again soon.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Has to be the most awesome scene in the series.....
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Back in 1978, Battlestar Galactica was the second-most awesome thing I'd seen, behind Star Wars. And I didn't have to go to the theater to watch it, instead turning on the TV once a week. And then they released the pilot theatrically in glorious Sensurround. I built the models of the Viper, Raider, Galactica, and Base Star. I had a movie book (literally frames of the movie to tell the story) as well as the novelization.

So flash forward all those years later, when the SyFy network announced they were making a new version, I was stoked, until I learned of the changes they were going to introduce to some of the characters (Starbuck a woman, for instance). That gave me pause, but I went ahead and watched anyway, and to my pleased surprise, I found the new version to be a worthwhile watch. I'd go so far as to say that it is the absolute best production ever for the SyFy Channel, and one of the best shows I've ever watched on TV.

Curiously, the SyFy Channel replayed the original series not too long ago. I started watching and, oh my, talk about a show that did not age well.

I think I'll rewatch the remake again soon.
Growing up in that era and liking sci-fi meant loving BSG 1978 and Buck Rogers - two shows that if watched today are fantastically terrible but I love to see them on TV. My brother, my dad, and I saw them as can't miss TV every week. BSG had some unreal guest stars on including Fred Astaire and the best 2-parter ever: Lloyd Bridges as Commander Cain of the Pegasus, who couldn't remember from take to take how to pronounce the Cylon targeted planet of Gamoray - sometimes pronouncing it like it rhymed with Manta Ray, other times like it was Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Buck Rogers was a show like none other. Every week Gil Gerard is putting the moves on some new hot chick, even though he's got Wilma to fall back on if need be. Over the past 500 years, the people of earth no longer understand how to maneuver their hands into a thumbs-up position and don't understand it's significance, disco continues to be the major sort of music played at social gatherings, and when the United States finds a man who has been frozen for 500 years, they see no problem with restoring him to his original military status, allowing him to learn to fly a space ship, and sending him on missions like nothing ever happened. Be sort of like if we found Christopher Columbus frozen in a block of ice and told him - we're making you an admiral, here's an aircraft carrier for you to use.

Buck Rogers also contained the Space Vampire episode, which scared the **** out of me as a kid.

Duncan Idaho
91_Aggie said:

Well to be fair, the original story was a soft reboot of mormon theology mythology
GiveEmHellBill
AG
91_Aggie said:

Yet you apparently watched the entire series. Wow. Says a lot about you.
91_Aggie
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

91_Aggie said:

Yet you apparently watched the entire series. Wow. Says a lot about you.

What does it say about me? Specifically, please
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
91_Aggie said:

That you hated a show but kept watching it.
10-12 years go by.
Then you decided to come on a thread celebrating the fans of that show and their dedication to help out one of the principal actors of the show through an incredible outpouring of donations when he is suffering from poor health so that you could tell everyone it sucks and he's a ****ty actor.

Either you're really bitter or just kind of a jerk. That's what it says about you.
Duncan Idaho
Don't beat around the bush. just come out and say how you feel.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

91_Aggie said:

10-12 years go by.
Then you decided to come on a thread celebrating the fans of that show and their dedication to help out one of the principal actors of the show through an incredible outpouring of donations when he is suffering from poor health so that you could tell everyone it sucks and he's a ****ty actor.

Either you're really bitter or just kind of a jerk. That's what it says about you.

That about covers it...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The first two years of Battlestar were probably some of the best sci-fi tv ever for me. I didnt like where the story went after that. Baltar was also one of the best "gray "villians ever for sci-fi. Except maybe for Garak.

Saul did a very good job and it is where his character story went that annoyed me the most.
West Point Aggie
AG
I'm torn when it comes to BSG...it was all over the place and just when something happy was about to happen, splat!

The whole doc and 6 ongoing thing was confusing...but it had its moments. I think it was downhill after Pegasus and Cain went away.

The end was cool...with stretches of WTF?
aTmAg
AG
I thought the ending was good. They couldn't copy the reveal of the original show (where they show up to Earth and it's modern times to us, when everybody assumed it was way into our future), and to make us way ahead of them would have been bad. So they went the other way and made themselves our ancient ancestors. I thought it was a good way to go.
West Point Aggie
AG
The last jump scene was cool...when they break her back...I still see Ensign Ro when I see Cain but that whole Pegasus and Cain stretch was awesome.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
Do people still watch the Walking Dead? that's a show that people seem to love to hate. Constantly *****ing about how bad the show is, yet tuning in every week.
G Martin 87
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

91_Aggie said:

10-12 years go by.

So say we all!
West Point Aggie
AG
This thread made me go look for the series on Netflix or prime or Hulu...no luck.
Duncan Idaho
Think it is on peacock. No idea if it is free or not
West Point Aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Think it is on peacock. No idea if it is free or not

Thanks...it got me access to episode two of season 1
Hey better than nothing
G Martin 87
AG
The iTunes Store has a $9.99 best episodes package curated by Ron Moore that will get you through the first two seasons without missing too much.
G Martin 87
AG
Did a quick mashup of Ron Moore's list with "essential episodes" lists, and came up with this. For those who just want to binge through BSG's high points, this should work. (Watch in order)

The Miniseries (Part 1 & 2)
S1:E1 = 33
S1:E4 = Act of Contrition
S1:E8 = Flesh and Bone
S1:E10 = Hand of God
S1:E12-13 = Kobol's Last Gleaming (Part 1 & 2)
S2:E1 = Scattered
S2:E10 = Pegasus
S2:E11-12 = Resurrection Ship (Part 1 & 2)
S2:E18 = Downloaded
S2:E19-20 = Lay Down Your Burdens (Part 1 & 2)
S3:E1 = Occupation
S3:E2 = Precipice
S3:E3-4 = Exodus (Part 1 & 2)
S3:E9 = Unfinished Business
S3:E17 = Maelstrom
S3:E19-20 = Crossroads (Part 1 & 2)
S4:E2 = Six of One
S4:E10 = Revelations
S4:E19-21 = Daybreak (Part 1, 2, & 3)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.