*** NOMADLAND ***

4,179 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cr0wbar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS
AG
It's looking more and more likely that the theatrical model is probably screwed and maybe even nonexistent again for the next few months, but finally talking/hearing about new potential Oscar films out of the festivals sure does make things at least feel somewhat normal. Looking forward to this one.
TCTTS
AG
Wow, that's awesome. I had no idea. I figured you had to have a press pass to even get access to these virtual screenings. But yeah, this might be the way to go.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, I forgot about this thread. Posted my reaction earlier tonight...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3163549

We should obviously go with this one, though.
TCTTS
AG
For the sake of completion...
TCTTS
AG
Saw this tonight via a virtual cinema event through the Film at Lincoln Center website, and while I thought was incredibly well done, and McDornand is her usual great self, in any other year it probably wouldn't be the Oscar front runner it is now. It's such a unique story, and a beautifully shot one at that - it looks and feels like a Terrance Malick film, in the best way, sans the mind-numbing voice-over - and, if anything, it felt great just to watch an Oscar movie during Oscar season again, even if from my living room. But, ultimately, to no fault of its own, it also had the unintended consequence of reminding me what we've missed out on this year in terms of traditional, Oscar-worthy fare, where this would definitely be in the mix, but would be, like, the seventh best movie of the year on most critics' lists instead of the first. That said, when it hits traditional theaters on February 19th (and likely digital as well), I would still absolutely seek it out. Again, I don't have a single complaint about the movie itself, it just really made me miss Oscar season and theater-going in general, more than I expected it to.
TCTTS
AG
I should also add that writer/director Chloe Zhao directed Marvel's The Eternals as well. And, after this, I absolutely cannot wait to see what she does with that movie. Her approach and sensibilities seem like they'd be in direct opposition to the Marvel machine, so now I'm so incredibly curious to see what she can bring to a massive, superhero blockbuster, and pretty hopeful as well. We could be in for something special with The Eternals.
TCTTS
AG
Seventh is probably an exaggeration, but I think any of these that pushed to 2021 had the potential to maybe be in the conversation...

- Dune
- The French Dispatch
- In the Heights
- King Richard
- The Last Duel
- Last Night in Soho
- No Time to Die
- West Side Story

As for films still left on the (or at least my) 2020 calendar, from reactions so far, I have a feeling I might like any of these four better...

- Mank
- Minari
- Promising Young Woman
- Tenet

That said, admittedly, this never really looked to be an outstanding Oscar year, and that one, shoe-in frontrunner didn't seem to exist, even when we thought we might still have a normal, theatrical Oscar season. So you definitely have a point, and all of the above is arbitrary and what could have been anyway, so no point in getting too much in the weeds. As of now, I have First Cow as my number one for 2020, with Nomadland at number two. It was still *very* good and I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed it so much.
TCTTS
AG
Rick Dalton said:

I don't normally get excited about the MCU, but I'll definitely see The Eternals. Knowing that she's got that one ready to go, I was amused at the shot of a small-town theater that had The Avengers on the marquee.

Ha, good call. I didn't even make that connection. I was just thinking, "Oh yeah, this takes place in 2012." But that's pretty funny.
TCTTS
AG
In 100% agreement with you on Normal People. Definitely my number one *anything* overall.

And you're right! I totally forgot about TG:M.
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/nomadland-best-film-of-2020-boston-20201213/
Duncan Idaho
This was the first time I heard about this community.

The crazy thing is that Amazon's Camperforce will be like the old west hunters. Gone in a few years because the jobs died out. Just this time, its robots killing the jobs in place of buffalo dieing out.

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/
TCTTS
AG
Great trailer. It's also weird seeing a trailer for the first time after I've seen the movie itself.
TCTTS
AG
New poster as well...

TCTTS
AG
Ha, nice. And yeah, I've been checking the Minari page like twice a day. Between the two of us, we'll definitely have it covered if tickets do go up.
Max Power
AG
This is up on Hulu for anyone that wants to watch it now.

I watched it this weekend. I can't put my finger on it, but this movie reminds me of something I've seen before, been driving me crazy, it feels familiar.

I love the way this movie was shot, hard to explain but this is the kind of movie I used to go see at an indie theater, and it actually felt like I was watching a real movie for the first time in a year, even while sitting in front of my ipad. Something about the straight to Netflix movies doesn't feel like they are something I'd see in a theater, they don't look right, this looks like a movie. I know it might sound like a strange thing for me to dwell on, but as someone who loves going to see movies in a theater, it's a big deal to me.

In a year of not much going on film wise, this was a nice surprise. Frances McDormand sucks you in. The story itself didn't draw me in, it was her, she's so good. Anyone else in the role and this movie could have fallen flat and been easy to disregard, it's so dependent on who's playing Fern. Her resume is tremendous, I think this is her best work, period, she can crush you, all by herself. I know she has two best actress Oscars, but I think she's better in this than Three Billboards or Fargo.

I won't discuss any plot points or spoilers, even though it might not matter. Watch this for her performance and you won't be disappointed.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I got an Into the Wild vibe from this.
chico
AG
watched it absolutely loved it. Same director as The Rider, so the Great Plains landscapes are terrific. Big thumbs up. A slice of life that's out there, many don't see it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On my list.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Small aside that's kind of off-topic (but gives me similar vibes to this), I recently watched Captain Fantastic and it was amazing. HIGHLY recommend it if you're into this kind of movie.

Also on Hulu.
Southlake
Just watched on Hulu. So simple and yet so deep.

Bueno.
Azariah
AG
Am I the only one who couldn't stand this movie? I made it about halfway through and had to turn it off. It was definitely authentic, but sometimes authentic is incredibly boring. Listening to the people talk was like sitting through my parents' doddering friends trying to impart the wisdom of something they read on a cereal box.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Just watched on Hulu. So simple and yet so deep.
Totally agree.

Trucker 96
It was like a morphine drip on my tv
Complete Idiot
As someone who can look at an abandoned house or building and experience strange feelings, it was emotional to watch. I'm unnecessarily sentimental and do appreciate nature, so it hit me at a level that most movies don't - even though you could also argue there must not have been much there on the page of the screenplay. Not for everyone, but it was for me.
Hey Nav
AG
I'm a bit curious about what age group this movie appeals to... and does not.

I'm a year younger than Frances McDormand. There are life experiences I've been through and relate heavily to some things that happened to her character.

Just a thought.
SkiMo
AG
Hey Nav said:

I'm a bit curious about what age group this movie appeals to... and does not.

I'm a year younger than Frances McDormand. There are life experiences I've been through and relate heavily to some things that happened to her character.

I'm 41 and loved it. Maybe it's the mid-life crisis in me that's yearning for adventure and not the redundant daily grind.

Just a thought.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.