*** THE SUICIDE SQUAD ***

27,170 Views | 312 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PatAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With so much official content released today, I figure it's time for an official thread...

The Suicide Squad
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6334354/

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You had me at Nathan Fillion.
jeffk
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

You had me at Jai Courtney.

FIF TCTTS.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
One of the first DC movies I have some faith in being good.
AgfromHOU
AG
This and The Batman pretty much are guaranteed hits
Ulrich
I thought I watched this on TBS a couple weeks ago?
TCTTS
AG
It's the sequel. It's kind of sort also a reboot (hence only adding the "The" to the title), but many of the same characters/actors are returning, and the events in the first movie happened in-universe in this movie.
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

It's the sequel. It's kind of sort also a reboot (hence only adding the "The" to the title), but many of the same characters/actors are returning, and the events in the first movie happened in-universe in this movie.

That's peculiar, but I guess it's not the most confusing thing DC has done.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Did Will Smith not want to come back or was he not asked back? He seems uninterested in sequels unless Martin Lawrence is involved.
AgfromHOU
AG
Apparently schedule didn't line up. Originally Elba was going to play Deadshot but they changed for Will.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I really wish Idris Elba would go ahead and change his legal name to Black Superman.
The Debt
John Cena playing the invisible man
ScottishFire
AG
I'm really hoping this one gets an R rating.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
ScottishFire said:

While I agree, I think WB won't be as enthusiastic for an R rated movie after the failure of Birds of Prey.
Claude!
That's a lot of characters to juggle, though I am heartened by someone in the sneak peek saying "Don't get too attached."
ScottishFire
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

ScottishFire said:

While I agree, I think WB won't be as enthusiastic for an R rated movie after the failure of Birds of Prey.
While true, Joker did outstanding worldwide with an R rating.
AgfromHOU
AG
Rumors are it'll be rated R, and Starro will be the villain.

Starro was the first ever Justice League villain
AMW2010
AG
Now does this look bad... no way... is it confusing AF? ABSOLUTELY!! Is it a reboot? Is it trying to be a rebooting while not trying to be a reboot and ended up being a sequel? Will there be time travel involved? They say it takes place in 1970's? But isn't everything else in the DCEU in like present time? If it's a sequel... how is it set in the past... if it's a reboot, why some of the same cast from the original.... this is just confusing to the average movie goer to the DC world like myself
AgfromHOU
AG
It's not set in the 70's, they're just talking about the style of the movie itself
TCTTS
AG
AMW2010 said:

Now does this look bad... no way... is it confusing AF? ABSOLUTELY!! Is it a reboot? Is it trying to be a rebooting while not trying to be a reboot and ended up being a sequel? Will there be time travel involved? They say it takes place in 1970's? But isn't everything else in the DCEU in like present time? If it's a sequel... how is it set in the past... if it's a reboot, why some of the same cast from the original.... this is just confusing to the average movie goer to the DC world like myself

By my count, there are four characters/actors returning from the original cast, which pretty clearly indicates "sequel," especially when one of them is Margot Robbie/Harley Quinn, who's such a big star and literally just had a second movie in this universe release earlier this year. To me, it seems pretty obvious that this will be the third in that same continuity. Regardless, in this day and age, the line between sequel and "reboot" is already pretty blurred, and I think audiences are accustomed to that. It's a sequel AND a soft "reboot" of sorts. We've long since moved past the audience needing those those definitions to be crystal clear and explained. It's a sequel for sure. What happened in the first movie happened. But because the first one was such a train wreck, and they were able to snag Gunn for a follow-up, who no doubt wanted to put his own spin on things, WB likely thought it best to come at this from a slightly different angle, as I'm sure audiences will be as well.

That, and to echo the above, this doesn't take place in the '70s. The producer said that in a "It's Die Hard meets [Whatever]" kind of way (traditionally referred to as a "this meets that"). He was comparing it to a '70s war film in vibe/tone/etc.
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

That, and to echo the above, this doesn't take place in the '70s. The producer said that in a "It's Die Hard meets [Whatever]" kind of way (traditionally referred to as a "this meets that"). He was comparing it to a '70s war film in vibe/tone/etc.

They may have said this, but I think it's clear they are going for a straight-up Dirty Dozen homage

TCTTS
AG
Oh, great call. 100%.
AgfromHOU
AG
DallasTeleAg
*sigh*

Didn't know anything about the Suicide Squad before the last one. I thought it was trash. Margot Robbie was really the only decent thing about it. Mainly that I think she is the perfect cast for that character.

I don't want to even think this can be any good...

...but James Gunn? Damn... just seeing that name on a comic book movie gets me a little excited. A movie with too many obscure characters? One way to not make that a terrible mess is to put James Gunn at the helm.

Oh... and Nathan Fillion. I would follow Mal anywhere.
AgfromHOU
AG
If you look at the background in this image from the BTS video, you can see the rumored villain for The Suicide Squad.

It's Starro!!

I bet Gunn can make a really good and hilarious movie with a villain like that
Madmarttigan
AG
Does look a little busy With too many characters and Explosiony but I will give Gunn the benefit of the doubt.
80s Guy
"Be a dooooshy Captain America. Ok, got it."

This could be the role that propels John Cena into The Rock's stratosphere.
Duncan Idaho
80s Guy said:

"Be a dooooshy Captain America. Ok, got it."

This could be the role that propels John Cena into The Rock's stratosphere.
it is a shame that he is a big of a dick as the rock.
Max Power
AG

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-the-suicide-squad-world-exclusive-covers-revealed/
TCTTS
AG
Bumping for tomorrow...

TCTTS
AG
AgfromHOU
AG
Stallone HAS to be King Shark, right?
TCTTS
AG
I'm assuming so.
Sex Panther
AG
It would be funnier if he's the *rumored* villain
israeliag
AG
I can't wait to see all these stars get killed on screen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.