*** LOVECRAFT COUNTRY *** (HBO Series)

17,824 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bluefire579
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jordan Peele + J.J. Abrams.

Reviews so far are great, with 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Premieres tonight at 9 PM ET.

Lovecraft Country
Season 1 (10 episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905686/

mazag08
AG
So is this like the Witcher, except set in 1960's civil rights era and featuring Lovecraft monsters?
TCTTS
AG
I haven't seen The Wticher, but here's Lovecraft Country's official synopsis...

Quote:

Based on Matt Ruff 's novel of the same name, Lovecraft Country follows Atticus Freeman (Jonathan Majors) as he meets up with his friend Letitia (Jurnee Smollett) and his Uncle George (Courtney B. Vance) to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father (Michael Kenneth Williams). This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback.
c-jags
TCTTS said:

I haven't seen The Wticher, but here's Lovecraft Country's official synopsis...

Quote:

Based on Matt Ruff 's novel of the same name, Lovecraft Country follows Atticus Freeman (Jonathan Majors) as he meets up with his friend Letitia (Jurnee Smollett) and his Uncle George (Courtney B. Vance) to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father (Michael Kenneth Williams). This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback.

I really like Peele and Lovecraft, but didn't HBO just rewrite Watchmen to address racism?

And you're missing out on Witcher. I love Fantasy but admit it was hard to get into because of some goofy timelines. By the end I was really hooked.
Al Bula
AG
A quick google shows some unimpressed reviews.

The plot twist here will shock no one. Whites are the bad guys, not Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep.
gggmann
AG
I set it to record. Going in w/ low expectations based on how Abram's Watchmen turned out. Looks to be more of the same.
TCTTS
AG
Abrams had nothing to do with HBO's Watchmen. Also, it "turned out" to earn 26 Emmy nominations this year, more than literally any other show.
MaroonStain
AG
Neat. Another HBO showing how Democrats mistreated people, especially black Americans, in the 50s/60s.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
TCTTS
AG
JFC, can we just skip the part where all the usual F16 cronies show up to complain about "wokeness" and b*tch and moan about not wanting to be told how bad whites/racists were/are, etc, etc, etc. It's the same song and dance every single time. Here's an idea... if you're so bothered by this stuff, don't watch. It's pretty simple. And if you're not going to watch, no need to post the same, cliched sh*t you guys post each and every time there are shows/movies/themes like this. Please, just once, spare us you're mind-numbing intrusions. We've heard it all before and we don't care.
Madmarttigan
AG
I did figure the watchmen comparison would come up after the trailer. I don't care too much about the f16 bs but yeah don't feel much like watching more racial tension shows like watchmen, and even in umbrella academy this season too.

That and this show just looks out there.
gggmann
AG
TCTTS said:

Abrams had nothing to do with HBO's Watchmen. Also, it "turned out" to earn 26 Emmy nominations this year, more than literally any other show.
Ah yes, it was the other Lost guy, Lindelof. My mistake. I still stand by my low expecations.
YouBet
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

The plot twist here will shock no one. Whites are the bad guys, not Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep.

Well, crap. I'm out then. Thought we were going to get some cool sci-fi horror stuff.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
This looks incredibly ****ing stupid...

Also Jordan peele is a lunatic racist...

Guaranteed whatever the dumb**** ending is, it will involve evil whitey being a meanie to an upstanding black person....

Hard pass
expresswrittenconsent
Peele's stuff when he isn't involved (producer) isn't close to as good as his work when he is in control. Reviews for this show are fairly poor
TCTTS
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

If this is true, and you just spoiled the series, I'll be advocating hard for a ban.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
tk for tu juan
Using a James Baldwin speech during the montage of traveling from Chicago to Lovecraft country
The D
AG
TCTTS said:

Ocean Of Funk said:

If this is true, and you just spoiled the series, I'll be advocating hard for a ban.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
dmart90
AG
I thought it was really well done. 1950s America, particularly the NE, was racist as f/ck. The story line is compelling and the acting is good. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

Edit: And if you really want to put a political spin on it, this is the racist America the BLM and Antifa idiots seem to be pining for.
tk for tu juan
Was it bad editing that the truck flipped before hitting the silver sedan, or are they implying there is a "force field" around the car?
TCTTS
AG
Of course. Like always, it's the incessant, cliched b*tching about something like this BEFORE anyone's seen a single minute of the show that bugs me. If it sucks or unfairly explores its themes, I'll be the first to complain. But not until after we've seen at least an episode.

That said... the opening scene was bonkers, in the best way. I absolutely love the mid-century sci-fi vibe. Finishing the rest now...
dmart90
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Was it bad editing that the truck flipped before hitting the silver sedan, or are they implying there is a "force field" around the car?

Force field around the car.
Trucker 96
Rotten tomatoes is 100% while imdb is 5.3. Feels like critics may be hesitant not to recommend
Trucker 96
RT critics 97, audience 73. Hmmm
Robert C. Christian
AG
Wife and i had a good laugh at the Uncle's calm "You need to shoot him" line.

Overall I am interested. Granted, I was a little distracted but did anyone else feel like the episode was on warp speed? I figured it was to establish the background of several characters and set the baseline. Still felt a little rushed to get to Ardham.
Al Bula
AG
TCTTS said:

Ocean Of Funk said:

what? The reviews literally point out that racism is the bugaboo here. Apparently HP Lovecraft was a huge racist (still trying to find out more about that) and the press has been slavering over how a black man is subverting a racist white dude's writing for tv. And I believe the author of the book was white too.

I posted nothing detailed about the series nor did I post anything not available in headlines on search engine results.

Actually let down that this series wasn't a miniseries on the mythos of HPL. His short stories are genuinely frightening. Oh well I won't be debating further. Time is better spent on reading HPL than arguing about something that didn't happen.
FredMc92
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Rotten tomatoes is 100% while imdb is 5.3. Feels like critics may be hesitant not to recommend
So, how does that work?

35/90 gave the show a 1 out of 10. The first episode has been over for only an hour.

Are you assuming these are people who have somehow seen the whole show or are you assuming they are internet trolls?

I'm assuming trolls. Probably like the guy who said HBO is the enemy of the people or whatever.
TCTTS
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

TCTTS said:

Ocean Of Funk said:

what? The reviews literally point out that racism is the bugaboo here. Apparently HP Lovecraft was a huge racist (still trying to find out more about that) and the press has been slavering over how a black man is subverting a racist white dude's writing for tv. And I believe the author of the book was white too.

I posted nothing detailed about the series nor did I post anything not available in headlines on search engine results.

Actually let down that this series wasn't a miniseries on the mythos of HPL. His short stories are genuinely frightening. Oh well I won't be debating further. Time is better spent on reading HPL than arguing about something that didn't happen.

Your wording suggests there's a "big twist," where in all the all the Lovecraftian stuff is basically just a trick, and it's really racists behind it all. It's hard to tell if you're implying that the Lovecraft stuff is all faked, or if it's all real, and the racists are simply unleashing it, as there's a massive difference between the two. Either way, it'd be helpful if you worded your post better or added spoiler tags.
TCTTS
AG
Haha, man. That was AWESOME. So well done. It's like the more racial/historical aspects of Lindelof's Watchmen meets True Blood meets the monster elements of something like A Quiet Place or Super 8. Serious at times, but also creepy, gory, and fun. The sundown sequence, in particular, was great, as was the entire final sequence. Just highly unique and entertaining all around. Will definitely be sticking with it.
TCTTS
AG
As for the racial angle, I admit that if EVERY last white person depicted continues to be uber racist, it's probably going to get old fast, and do more harm than good. Hopefully that won't be the case, though. I think one of the initial conversations, in the third scene or so, between Atticus and the other woman on the bus, re: John Carter of Mars, was telling and a nice nod. While the woman had a more ruthless take, Atticus seemed to speak in opposition to her, implying that anyone is redeemable, choosing to see the good in people, etc. That entire convo felt like it was underlining the theme of the show, and seemed to hint where it's going in that regard. Which, if so, would go a long way to help dispel what might turn some off about this show.
Duncan Idaho
I enjoyed it and will watch more. But it was no Ash vs Evil Dead.

the constant racking of the guns got to the point where it was commical.

I look forward to the reaction fo a certain demographic when they figure out who the main actress's brother is.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PatAg
AG
Why are you even here if you don't want to discuss the show itself?
Bones08
AG
I very much enjoyed the pilot. Likable characters and a great and unique mixture of genres (not familiar with the source material, but almost Stephen King-ish).

I'm in!

Edit: Also very excited to see who Tic's dad is. He comin'...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.