****** BEST LORD OF THE RING MOVIE MOMENTS ******

16,288 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PatAg
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
caleblyn said:

#7 Aragorn: My friends. You bow to no one - ROTK

Gotta bring out the honesty. That scene brought tears to this grown man's eyes!

It really brings home the weight of what the 4 of them did. Sam and frodo destroyed the ring, merry and pippin brought the ents to defeat saruman, pippin brought the distress beacon from gondor to Rohan, and merry, who is also "no man" helped eowyn kill the lord of the nazgul. I remember my dad really digging this moment in the theater as well. He was always my compass of what the really moving parts of the films were for non readers.
caleblyn
I wish they would re-digitize the scene. High Def has really made it not look that great.

Another movie that suffers from HD is Titanic. I am introducing the kids to Titanic right now. We are about 40% done after last night. Anyhow, HD has exposed the early-90's CGI in Titanic. There are a few shots where there is a fly-by over the ship and the people walking around look like the video game, Sims.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
caleblyn said:

I wish they would re-digitize the scene. High Def has really made it not look that great.

Another movie that suffers from HD is Titanic. I am introducing the kids to Titanic right now. We are about 40% done after last night. Anyhow, HD has exposed the early-90's CGI in Titanic. There are a few shots where there is a fly-by over the ship and the people walking around look like the video game, Sims.
See if they can fix Leo's massive stereotype Italian friend as well. And the god-awful part when they're point-of-view dancing below decks.

I'd also like a version with dubs from Zoolander in the following scenes.

Cal: "You know, it's a pity I didn't keep that drawing. It'll be worth a lot more by morning.
Zoolander: "Put a cork in it, Zane!"

Ruth: "So this is the ship they say is unsinkable."
Cal: "It is unsinkable.God himself could not sink this ship!"
Hansel: "Listen to your friend Billy Zane, he's a cool dude."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
One hour ish til the poll closes.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 64 Results

#1 YOU SHALL NOT PASS - Gandalf vs. the Balrog of Moria - FOTR vs. #16 Aragorn and Theoden: An army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of men / Let them come! - TTT 98.1%-1.9%

#2 Gimili: Let them come! There is one Dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath! - FOTR vs. #15 Aragorn: "For Frodo" and charge - ROTK 65.4%-34.6%

#3 Theoden dies / I go now to the hall of my fathers, in whose great company I shall no longer feel ashamed - ROTK vs. #14 Pippin's song - ROTK 55.8%-44.2%

#4 Legolas & Gimli: Die side by side with an elf? How about side by side with a friend? - ROTK vs. #13 Aragorn rides to battle wearing the white tree on his breast plate - ROTK 88.2%-11.8%

#5 The Rohirrim arrive at Minas Tirith -ROTK vs. #12 Gandalf: The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time. ROTK 86%-14%

#6 Aragorn's speech - Stand, Men of the West! - ROTK vs. #11 Gandalf rides up the rings of Minas Tirith to the top level with the White Tree - ROTK 86.3%-13.7%

#7 Theoden's transformation / takes up his sword again - TTT vs. #10 Theoden dresses for battle / Where is the horse and the rider? - TTT 64.7%-35.3%

#8 Aragorn fights off the Nazgul at Weather Top, throws the torch at the last one - FOTR vs. #9 One does not simply walk into Mordor - Boromir - FOTR 43.1%-56.9%

#1 Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn. Forth, Eorlingas! - Theoden - TTT vs. #16 The Nazgul come for the hobbits at Weather Top - FOTR 94.1%-5.9%

#2 Arwen summons the river / If you want him, come and claim him! - FOTR vs. #15 Theoden: The horn of Helm Hammerhand will sound in the deep ONE LAST TIME - TTT 43.1%-56.9%

#3 What's Taters, Precious? PO TAY TOES - TTT vs. #14 Gandalf breaks Saruman's spell on Theoden - TTT 55.8%-44.2%

#4 Sam carries Frodo the final few feet to the Cracks of Doom - ROTK vs. #13 Boromir fights off the Uruk-Hai to save Merry and Pippin - FOTR 52.9%-47.1%

#5 Gandalf/Eomer: Theoden king stands alone / Not alone .. ROHIRIRM! - TTT vs. #12 Isildur cuts the ring from Sauron's finger - prologue - FOTR 94.1%-5.9%

#6 Gondor calls for aid! AND ROHAN WILL ANSWER! - ROTK vs. #11 Pippin and Merry light up the big boomer at Bilbo's party - FOTR 92.2%-7.8%

#7 Aragorn: My friends. You bow to no one - ROTK vs. #10 Boromir blows the Horn of Gondor - FOTR 60.8%-39.2%

#8 Aragorn kills Lurtz the Uruk-hai - FOTR vs. #9 Pippin helps Gandalf light the beacons - ROTK 45.1%-54.9%

#1 Sam's speech about the great stories and that there's some good in the world, and it's worth fighting for. TTT vs. #16 Pippin - Guard of the Citadel - saves Gandalf's ass at Minas Tirith - ROTK 92.2%-7.8%

#2 Eowyn slays the Lord of the Nazgul / I am no man - ROTK vs. #15 First look at the map inside Bilbo's house - FOTR 86.3%-13.7%

#3 Legolas to Gimli: Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box? - TTT vs. #14 Bilbo's transformation when he lets the ring go and leaves the Shire - FOTR 94.2%-5.8%

#4 The fellowship passes the gates of Argonath in their boats - FOTR vs. #13 Gimili requests that Aragorn toss him - TTT 55.8%-44.2%

#5 Pippin at the Prancing Pony: It comes in pints? - FOTR vs. #12 I am Gandalf the White, and I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide - TTT 64.7%-35.3%

#6 That blade was broken / It has been remade - Aragorn vs. Army of the Dead - ROTK vs. #11 First look at a Nazgul on his fell beast - TTT 82.4%-17.6%

#7 Legolas mows down the Uruk-Hai at close range with his bow - FOTR vs. #10 Legolas takes out the oliphaunt (that only counts as one) - ROTK 51.9%-48.1%

#8 First look at the Shire - FOTR vs. #9 Legolas gets up on the horse like a boss to fight the Orc scouts - TTT 61.5%-38.5%

#1 Treebeard summons the Ents to war - TTT vs. #16 Eomer spears the Harad leader, takes down 2 Oliphaunts - ROTK 88.5%-11.5%

#2 The moment the Rohirrim hit Saruman's army as the sun rises - TTT vs. #15 Frodo: I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way. - FOTR 74.5%-25.5%

#3 Theoden's speech before the charge at Minas Tirith - A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises! - ROTK vs. #14 Galadriel is tempted by the One Ring - FOTR 94.1%-5.9%

#4 Saruman shows Grima his new army at Isengard - TTT vs. #13 Gandalf rides out of Minas Tirith to save Faramir with his super flashlight wand - ROTK 45.1%-54.9%

#5 The Nazgul smells the Ring on the road outside the Shire - FOTR vs. #12 Sam tells Shelob: "Get away from him, you filth!" - ROTK 70%-30%

#6 The Elves arrive at Helm's Deep / We are proud to fight alongside Men once more - TTT vs. #11 Gandalf reading in Moria: "We cannot get out. A shadow lurks in the dark. We can not get out they are coming." - FOTR 44%-56%

#7 Frodo puts on the ring and sees the Nazgul as they truly are. - FOTR vs. #10 Gandalf tells Pippin not to talk to Denethor about Boromir or Frodo or the Ring .. or Aragorn .. In fact maybe don't talk at all. - ROTK 47.1%-52.9%

#8 Boromir's death - I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king. - FOTR vs. #9 Is there any hope Gandalf? For Frodo and Sam? There never was much hope. Just a fool' hope. - ROTK 86.5%-13.5%

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 32
VOTE NOW!

#1 YOU SHALL NOT PASS - Gandalf vs. the Balrog of Moria - FOTR vs. #9 One does not simply walk into Mordor - Boromir - FOTR

#2 Gimili: Let them come! There is one Dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath! - FOTR vs. #7 Theoden's transformation / takes up his sword again - TTT

#3 Theoden dies / I go now to the hall of my fathers, in whose great company I shall no longer feel ashamed - ROTK vs. #6 Aragorn's speech - Stand, Men of the West! - ROTK

#4 Legolas & Gimli: Die side by side with an elf? How about side by side with a friend? - ROTK vs. #5 The Rohirrim arrive at Minas Tirith -ROTK

#1 Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn. Forth, Eorlingas! - Theoden - TTT vs. #9 Pippin helps Gandalf light the beacons - ROTK

#7 Aragorn: My friends. You bow to no one - ROTK vs. #15 Theoden: The horn of Helm Hammerhand will sound in the deep ONE LAST TIME - TTT

#3 What's Taters, Precious? PO TAY TOES - TTT vs. #6 Gondor calls for aid! AND ROHAN WILL ANSWER! - ROTK

#4 Sam carries Frodo the final few feet to the Cracks of Doom - ROTK vs. #5 Gandalf/Eomer: Theoden king stands alone / Not alone .. ROHIRIRM! - TTT

#1 Sam's speech about the great stories and that there's some good in the world, and it's worth fighting for. TTT vs. #8 First look at the Shire - FOTR

#2 Eowyn slays the Lord of the Nazgul / I am no man - ROTK vs. #7 Legolas mows down the Uruk-Hai at close range with his bow - FOTR

#3 Legolas to Gimli: Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box? - TTT vs. #6 That blade was broken / It has been remade - Aragorn vs. Army of the Dead - ROTK

#4 The fellowship passes the gates of Argonath in their boats - FOTR vs. #5 Pippin at the Prancing Pony: It comes in pints? - FOTR

#1 Treebeard summons the Ents to war - TTT vs.#8 Boromir's death - I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king. - FOTR

#2 The moment the Rohirrim hit Saruman's army as the sun rises - TTT vs. #10 Gandalf tells Pippin not to talk to Denethor about Boromir or Frodo or the Ring .. or Aragorn .. In fact maybe don't talk at all. - ROTK

#3 Theoden's speech before the charge at Minas Tirith - A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises! - ROTK vs. #11 Gandalf reading in Moria: "We cannot get out. A shadow lurks in the dark. We can not get out they are coming." - FOTR

#5 The Nazgul smells the Ring on the road outside the Shire - FOTR vs. #13 Gandalf rides out of Minas Tirith to save Faramir with his super flashlight wand - ROTK
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round 2 by the numbers before I head for bed.

Movies:
King 13; Fellowship 10, Towers 9

Characters
Theoden 8; Gandalf 6; Aragorn 4; Legolas 3; Sam 3; Gimli 3; Pippin 2; Bormoir 2; Gollum, Frodo, Eomer, Eowyn, Trebeard, Nazgul 1 each

Chipotlemonger
AG
Already voted! There were some tough matchups in the last round, but now we are going to really have some difficult decisions to make!
Beat40
Chipotlemonger said:

Already voted! There were some tough matchups in the last round, but now we are going to really have some difficult decisions to make!

Yeah, looking ahead, I foresee a lot of deliberation over some of the matchups to come.
wangus12
AG
The box comment by Legolas was always one of my favorites. That's my darkhorse
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Morning bump.

4 of 16 underdogs in the lead this morning.
CoppellAg93
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

That looks like a fanmade video. What was PJ thinking?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hunter2012
AG
I figured out why Theoden has so many moments up for vote. He's the only human leader to have options, so every choice he makes is critical while everyone else is more or less has a clear cut goal. He also goes from being a thrall to a heroic death in the span of about one movie length...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hunter2012 said:

I figured out why Theoden has so many moments up for vote. He's the only human leader to have options, so every choice he makes is critical while everyone else is more or less has a clear cut goal. He also goes from being a thrall to a heroic death in the span of about one movie length...
How do you figure? Aragorn didn't have options?

In the movies, he had to decide to become the leader he was destined to be, it wasn't a clear-cut goal.
hunter2012
AG
True but after the fellowship dissolved he chased after Merry and Pippin, he then stayed in Rohan to help Theoden until the beacons lit. He was more or less just chasing the immediate objective in front of him until Elrond gave him the sword.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
58 votes in, 4 matchups separated by 5 votes or less.

In an alternative history, what would have happened if Boromir didn't try to take the ring from Frodo just before the Uruk-Hai showed up?

Given how many Aragorn, Boromir, and Legolas killed alone, could the three of them plus Gimli defended the hobbits against Saruman's horde? Or at least got them safely back into the boats? The Uruk-Hai had traveled by land the whole way there; I'm guessing they weren't the best swimmers loaded down with armor and weapons.

If they had gotten even across the lake, they would have been already ridiculously close to Mordor. Gollum would have still been pursuing them, but between the two men, Legolas, and Gimli all standing watch, he never would have had the guts to make a move on the Ring; he wasn't even a match for Sam and Frodo.

The question then becomes how does the Fellwoship get into Mordor - the gate was a no-no, but combined the certainly could have defeated Shelob. It would have still meant going straight into Orc/Nazgul/Sauron ville via stealth. If Gandalf doesn't show up at the Golden Hall, Theoden never rises up against Saruman at Helm's Deep, so would Saruman have attached Minas Tirith? Would Sauron's own troops also have gone to Minas Tirith? If so, as long as Frodo never put the ring on, it seems like they really could have just walked into Mordor.

Basically that makes Boromir into the Catelyn Stark of the story - one really bad choice screws up everything.
DallasTeleAg
I think the whole point was that the Ring was working harder to corrupt the men around it, the closer it got to Mordor.

Frodo, seeing the affect on the rest of the Fellowship, decided to go on alone. I choose to believe the Ring would have caused the Fellowship to turn on itself at some point.
DVC2010
AG
I don't think it works this way. If Merry and Pippin don't get captured, the orcs don't think their mission is complete, so they keep searching and/or fighting. That ends with the entire fellowship (except for Frodo, who would probably use the ring to escape) dead at the foot of Amon Hen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nah, they would have gotten routed in your scenario, IMO. Rohan would have fallen, then Minas Tirith would've been attacked with nobody to stop their armies. They would have been overrun within a night.

Even if somehow the Fellowship made it through Mordor and destroyed the ring without turning on each other, it would have meant millions more dead in Middle Earth.

Plus, Aragorn probably doesn't take the throne. (In the movies, anyway.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Elrond has no problem with that scenario: Sauron dead, orcs dead, men dead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
First teaser. Ah, that end long shot of them all coming up through the pass.

The full-length trailer for FOTR - maybe my favorite non-SW trailer ever.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I remember watching that first teaser in the theater, only because I remember how crazy it seemed to be announcing THREE movies in a single trailer. I remember when the last one said "Christmas 2003", the audience kind of laughed a little. (I believe it was 2000 at the time, so it was YEARS away.)

I actually had no idea what LOTR was at the time, and in fact I didn't even see FOTR in the theater. But I remember that teaser.

(I ended up watching like half the movie at my cousin's house and immediately going to buy the DVD at Waldenbooks next time I was at the mall. Obviously I was all in by the time TTT hit theaters.)
07ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

nah, this was the first trailer. i remember spending one sunday afternoon downloading it dialup when it first came out

https://ts.la/eric59704
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
07ag said:

MuckRaker96 said:

nah, this was the first trailer. i remember spending one sunday afternoon downloading it dialup when it first came out

Nice find! I forgot all about that. I used to have the still image of boromir holding the ring in the snow as my desktop pattern back then
DallasTeleAg
Wong answer. Requiem for a Tower.

Only trailer to illicit such emotion from me were the first teasers for Man of Steel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which, coincidentally, used Howard Shore's LOTR score.

GoAgs92
AG
Was the closing credits to the 1st film a choice...so long...so much walking...bleh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
1 hour to go.

4 lower seeds winning

4 matchups separated by 6 votes or less.
DallasTeleAg
Yep. I remember the first time someone pointed that out to me, and it blew my mind.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 32 Results

#1 YOU SHALL NOT PASS - Gandalf vs. the Balrog of Moria - FOTR vs. #9 One does not simply walk into Mordor - Boromir - FOTR 92.2%-7.8%

#2 Gimili: Let them come! There is one Dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath! - FOTR
vs. #7 Theoden's transformation / takes up his sword again - TTT 74%-26%

#3 Theoden dies / I go now to the hall of my fathers, in whose great company I shall no longer feel ashamed - ROTK vs. #6 Aragorn's speech - Stand, Men of the West! - ROTK 42.9%-57.1%

#4 Legolas & Gimli: Die side by side with an elf? How about side by side with a friend? - ROTK vs. #5 The Rohirrim arrive at Minas Tirith -ROTK 48.1%-51.9%

#1 Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn. Forth, Eorlingas! - Theoden - TTT vs. #9 Pippin helps Gandalf light the beacons - ROTK 88.3%-11.7%

#7 Aragorn: My friends. You bow to no one - ROTK vs. #15 Theoden: The horn of Helm Hammerhand will sound in the deep ONE LAST TIME - TTT 65.8%-34.2%

#3 What's Taters, Precious? PO TAY TOES - TTT vs. #6 Gondor calls for aid! AND ROHAN WILL ANSWER! - ROTK 42.9%-57.1%

#4 Sam carries Frodo the final few feet to the Cracks of Doom - ROTK vs. #5 Gandalf/Eomer: Theoden king stands alone / Not alone .. ROHIRIRM! - TTT 63.6%-36.4%

#1 Sam's speech about the great stories and that there's some good in the world, and it's worth fighting for. TTT vs. #8 First look at the Shire - FOTR 81.8%-18.2%

#2 Eowyn slays the Lord of the Nazgul / I am no man - ROTK vs. #7 Legolas mows down the Uruk-Hai at close range with his bow - FOTR 68.8%-31.2%

#3 Legolas to Gimli: Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box? - TTT vs. #6 That blade was broken / It has been remade - Aragorn vs. Army of the Dead - ROTK 64.9%-35.1%

#4 The fellowship passes the gates of Argonath in their boats - FOTR vs. #5 Pippin at the Prancing Pony: It comes in pints? - FOTR 63.6%-36.4%

#1 Treebeard summons the Ents to war - TTT vs.#8 Boromir's death - I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king. - FOTR 45.5%-54.5%

#2 The moment the Rohirrim hit Saruman's army as the sun rises - TTT vs. #10 Gandalf tells Pippin not to talk to Denethor about Boromir or Frodo or the Ring .. or Aragorn .. In fact maybe don't talk at all. - ROTK 88.3%-11.7%

#3 Theoden's speech before the charge at Minas Tirith - A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises! - ROTK vs. #11 Gandalf reading in Moria: "We cannot get out. A shadow lurks in the dark. We can not get out they are coming." - FOTR 71.4%-28.6%

#5 The Nazgul smells the Ring on the road outside the Shire - FOTR vs. #13 Gandalf rides out of Minas Tirith to save Faramir with his super flashlight wand - ROTK 53.2%-46.8%

On to Friday and the Sweet 16!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.