*** The Old Guard ***

3,743 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dcAg
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Netflix original staring Charlize Theron and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Nice action flick that's a little different. If you enjoy John Wick, check it out.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I wouldn't call it bad, but "different" is the exact opposite of what I thought while watching it. Actually felt like it was a pretty routine plot with lots of cliche lines.

Basically someone watched Highlander and thought " Hey, I've got an idea for a movie.....". Then they wrote the same old storyline that's been done a 100 times over except made the heroes immortal, then added tired lines ripped from the "Book of Cliche Dialogue", the Chapter on "Old warriors who have seen their best friend killed in action and are just tired of fighting".

Really surprised they got Theron to star in this.
YouBet
AG
I watched it Friday night. I was entertained.

Netflix definitely playing the woke angle in their movies though.
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

I wouldn't call it bad, but "different" is the exact opposite of what I thought while watching it. Actually felt like it was a pretty routine plot with lots of cliche lines.

Basically someone watched Highlander and thought " Hey, I've got an idea for a movie.....". Then they wrote the same old storyline that's been done a 100 times over except made the heroes immortal, then added tired lines ripped from the "Book of Cliche Dialogue", the Chapter on "Old warriors who have seen their best friend killed in action and are just tired of fighting".

Money talks.
Also, while she has had some amazing roles, she has been in a TON of duds.
Mr. White
She did date Sean Penn. Her judgment is questionable
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I think it would have been better done as a tv series. There could have been more lore, world-building and fleshing out the stories and flashbacks.

Also, the music was just weird and off-putting

Still a pretty good movie though
Eliminatus
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

I could not have said it better.

It wasn't bad.

It also was nothing close to having an original thought anywhere I could see. It's a fine "have in the background as whitenoise " type of movie but it is entirely forgettable IMO.
coldmoose
Saw it.

I thought it was entertaining.
Just finished it with my significant other. I didn't see any trailers or knew anything about this movie. I thought it was just some typical secret ops movie, but it obviously changed direction 20 minutes into it. I enjoyed it. The ending took me by surprise even though there was a previous scene foreshadowing it. It may have been the 3rd whiskey and coke that caused it. Hope there is a sequel.
Aggie4242
YouBet said:

You know it's based off of a comic book...right?

What parts did you think were "woke"?

What was the difference between this movie and extraction? That question is for everybody, only because folks on here really seemed to enjoy that movie.
Aggie4242
FightinTexasAg15 said:

I think it would have been better done as a tv series. There could have been more lore, world-building and fleshing out the stories and flashbacks.

Also, the music was just weird and off-putting

Still a pretty good movie though

I thought the same thing. Would made an awesome limited series. I think Netflix is planning a trio logo though, based off the original creators comments.
YouBet
AG
Aggie4242 said:

YouBet said:

What was the difference between this movie and extraction? That question is for everybody, only because folks on here really seemed to enjoy that movie.

Is Extraction the one with Hemsworth?

Yes, I saw it was based off a comic book but not familiar with it and not sure that's relevant to my comment. Netflix could simply have chosen to adapt something that fits their narrative lately.

I really don't want to get into a political thing over here though so I shouldn't have even said what I did. I was entertained by the movie and thought the actors were fine in their roles. I just had a mildly sardonic attitude towards it with the current state of the world and adapting a movie where the lone Hetero white guy on the team betrays the rest of them.

They obviously set this up for a sequel so that will be interesting to see if it happens.
Aggie4242
YouBet said:

Aggie4242 said:

YouBet said:

Yes, I saw it was based off a comic book but not familiar with it and not sure that's relevant to my comment. Netflix could simply have chosen to adapt something that fits their narrative lately.

I really don't want to get into a political thing over here though so I shouldn't have even said what I did. I was entertained by the movie and thought the actors were fine in their roles. I just had a mildly sardonic attitude towards it with the current state of the world and adapting a movie where the lone Hetero white guy on the team betrays the rest of them.

They obviously set this up for a sequel so that will be interesting to see if it happens.
Yep. I enjoyed that movie too. I will say this for Netflix; they have done a great job getting the tactical aspects of hand-to-hand combat/room clearing down pat. Gun play too.

Interesting point about the guy that betrayed them. I wish they had fleshed that out a little more because it seemed like he was driven by the trauma he endured and they could have gone a little deeper on that in regards to his reasoning.

I haven't read the comics, but it seems like they set up the villains team for the sequel, but I don't know why he would turn against Andy and his friends since he seemed understanding about their decision.
YouBet
AG
Aggie4242 said:

YouBet said:

Aggie4242 said:

YouBet said:

Yep. I enjoyed that movie too. I will say this for Netflix; they have done a great job getting the tactical aspects of hand-to-hand combat/room clearing down pat. Gun play too.

Interesting point about the guy that betrayed them. I wish they had fleshed that out a little more because it seemed like he was driven by the trauma he endured and they could have gone a little deeper on that in regards to his reasoning.

I haven't read the comics, but it seems like they set up the villains team for the sequel, but I don't know why he would turn against Andy and his friends since he seemed understanding about their decision.
Agree on your spoiler but it may simply ultimately amount to him being lonely?
YNWA_AG
AG
I figured quynh would show up in the end. Pretty decent watch for a time without summer blockbusters
Madmarttigan
AG
Better than Extraction? Never even felt like finishing that movie.

Netflix has a habit of making really flashy movies that are really really meh.
Silvertaps
AG
Aggie4242 said:

YouBet said:

All women squad looking for a terrorist at the beginning was a bit weird. There was certainly a "girl power" thing going throughout, but I certainly enjoyed the show. Looking forward to the sequel.
Aggie4242
Silvertaps said:

Aggie4242 said:

YouBet said:

All women squad looking for a terrorist at the beginning was a bit weird. There was certainly a "girl power" thing going throughout, but I certainly enjoyed the show. Looking forward to the sequel.

Her NCO, a male, told her to go talk to the towns women. The women Marines were interviewing the Afghan women. In my experience, that is the ROE.

I got yelled at by village elders because a couple of girls/women removed their niqabs and smiled at me. We didn't have any women in our squad at the time, since the war was still pretty young. /coolstorybro

I will be curious to see if they play up a same-sex relationship between Andy and the lost immortal.
easttexasaggie04
AG
The most memorable part of this movie for me was the thought of drowning over and over in an iron casket for 500 years. Dang.
YouBet
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

The most memorable part of this movie for me was the thought of drowning over and over in an iron casket for 500 years. Dang.
Yeah, that is eternal hell level stuff.
YNWA_AG
AG
No way that iron didn't rust out way before 500 years, but that sounds awful
Aggie4242
The only thing I didn't get about that part was, every time she drowned and came back to life, air came out of her lungs. I would think after the 1st or 2nd time there wouldn't be any air left, so even if she came back to life, shouldn't she have just stayed in some sort of suspended animation?

Also, when they got shot, their body regrew and pushed the bullets out, so when they shave, or get haircuts, does the hair just grow right back? Finally, I wonder what would happen if somebody cut off one of their heads. Would their entire body grow back?
fig96
AG
Watched last night and really enjoyed it. not the best action movie I've seen but Theron is really good in these kinda of roles and it was fun.

After this and Atomic Blonde I'd be totally ok with her going the Keanu route and just being a badass action star the rest of her career.
CrottyKid
AG
Once you have invested that much time learning armed and unarmed close quarters combat maneuvers, it makes sense to get paid to show off your hard work.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya my thought...

they all survived during the height of the use of the guillotine....

questionable since, they also were tried as witches, you'd think beheading would be a quick option.
MooreTrucker
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Yeah, that right there is reason for me to NOT watch this movie. That's my biggest nightmare.
Apache
AG
Quote:

90%+ of the population are not comic book readers, so how would they know?
Woke parts: 1/3 of the major characters were gay? Pretty high statistically. Didn't bother me though.

I thought Extraction was terrible for the half I saw. (Fell asleep) Hemsworth is fine as long as he is doing action/comedy. His straight action movies he comes across as pretty wooden IMO. Seems like he is trying too hard.

I'll give "The Old Guard" a 6/10, similar to the Netflix movie "Triple Frontier", Extraction would be a 4/10.

The Immortal thing is similar to Highlander, but the fact that they can die after an unknown time & that their gift is apparently natural and not magical is interesting. I would have liked to have seen this as a 10 episode series... maybe it will turn out that way after Theron passes the torch after the movies.
Aggie4242
OnlyForNow said:

Ya my thought...

they all survived during the height of the use of the guillotine....

questionable since, they also were tried as witches, you'd think beheading would be a quick option.

Good point. They used to draw and quarter folks too. I wonder what would happen if somebody stabbed a knife in their heart and held it there.

The body couldn't push it out, so would they be revived?

Probably best not to not think too deeply about it.
OnlyForNow
AG
I hope that this movie, kickstarts a 10-12 run episodic run.

They can do a few in the not present/near future; but it'd be cool to see them tie in everyone joining - letting them, the individual characters lead most of their episode or arc and then show how they join up with Andy.
CrottyKid
AG
Yes. Good idea. Also, they mentioned that they sometimes fought against each other on opposing sides.
YouBet
AG
CrottyKid said:

Yes. Good idea. Also, they mentioned that they sometimes fought against each other on opposing sides.

The gay couple met and fought against each other during the Crusades. One was Christian and was Muslim.
YouBet
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

90%+ of the population are not comic book readers, so how would they know?
Woke parts: 1/3 of the major characters were gay? Pretty high statistically. Didn't bother me though.

I thought Extraction was terrible for the half I saw. (Fell asleep) Hemsworth is fine as long as he is doing action/comedy. His straight action movies he comes across as pretty wooden IMO. Seems like he is trying too hard.

I'll give "The Old Guard" a 6/10, similar to the Netflix movie "Triple Frontier", Extraction would be a 4/10.

The Immortal thing is similar to Highlander, but the fact that they can die after an unknown time & that their gift is apparently natural and not magical is interesting. I would have liked to have seen this as a 10 episode series... maybe it will turn out that way after Theron passes the torch after the movies.

I assumed this gift was divine in nature. Andi was unknowingly being led to events that subsequently were catalysts for pivotal good outcomes in history.

And she was not aware of those outcomes until shown to her by the CIA guy. However, I have not read comic this is apparently based on so maybe there is differ t reason here.
fig96
AG
'The Old Guard': Charlize Theron Teases Sequel, Reacts to Film's Massive Viewership
Duncan Idaho
I enjoyed it enough. None of these Netflix movies are ground breaking works of art but they are entertaining enough when the only price of admission is the opportunity cost of watching something else.
Madmarttigan
AG
Finally watched it. I generally have not liked any Netflix movies because they are all really really meh. This one and Bright are probably my two favorite concepts that Netflix has put out. Bright was an okay movie but set in an interesting world.

Old Guard felt like it took a page out of the John Wick book and made the combat very cool and precise. I enjoyed the fight scenes and thought the story was decent. Probably the best Netflix movie in my eyes so far that I've watched.

Also was not expecting Dudley Dursley to be the villain.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.