Peacock streaming service seems like it might be terrible at launch

8,679 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by double aught
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wwe-network-peacock-exclusive-US-streaming-rights-deal
Quote:

An official announcement from World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) described the deal as a 'multi-year agreement', with The Wall Street Journal reporting the contract is valued at more than US$1 billion over five years.

Under the agreement, the WWE Network app will be shut down, with the OTT service's programming and subscribers which total around 1.5 million to be migrated over to Peacock. Subscribers will continue to get access to WWE Network via Peacock Premium, which costs US$4.99 per month. The ad-free Peacock Premium Plus costs US$9.99 per month, the same as a WWE Network subscription.
One Billion dollars!!!!

This is surprising that WWE Network was one of the earliest entertainment entities to create their own streaming network in 2014. Now 7 years later they think it's a better idea to sell their content to someone else. I guess the cost of hosting, continually updating, IT, etc. for a streaming service was too much and the decided to outsource all of that to Peacock.
I wonder how many other streaming services are looking at this deal and thinking that they should do the same. I could see Apple+ or Paramount+ taking a deal like this.
cajunaggie08
AG
Quad Dog said:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wwe-network-peacock-exclusive-US-streaming-rights-deal
Quote:

An official announcement from World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) described the deal as a 'multi-year agreement', with The Wall Street Journal reporting the contract is valued at more than US$1 billion over five years.

Under the agreement, the WWE Network app will be shut down, with the OTT service's programming and subscribers which total around 1.5 million to be migrated over to Peacock. Subscribers will continue to get access to WWE Network via Peacock Premium, which costs US$4.99 per month. The ad-free Peacock Premium Plus costs US$9.99 per month, the same as a WWE Network subscription.
One Billion dollars!!!!

This is surprising that WWE Network was one of the earliest entertainment entities to create their own streaming network in 2014. Now 7 years later they think it's a better idea to sell their content to someone else. I guess the cost of hosting, continually updating, IT, etc. for a streaming service was too much and the decided to outsource all of that to Peacock.
I wonder how many other streaming services are looking at this deal and thinking that they should do the same. I could see Apple+ or Paramount+ taking a deal like this.
Live content is the next frontier for these streaming services. Moving live content behind the cable paywall was the move many companies thought would keep people demanding their cable providers had these channels (like SEC Network) available. Now they are shifting these events to the streaming pay wall. NBC and ESPN have both been dipping their toes in the water with live sports on Peacock and ESPN+ but the flood gates are about to open soon. SEC football games will be on ESPN+ as part of the new deal signed to get the #1 SEC football game from CBS plus NHL hockey will have games on ESPN+.
Tanya 93
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

There's a Punky Brewster reboot on Peacock?

Lol.

How is that? I'd imagine you gotta go into that with the lowest of expectations.
It was cute. It is exactly what you would expect. Mismatched shoes, "punky power," a dog, and foster kids.

I will say Freddie Prinze Jr has aged well.
double aught
AG
Swarely said:

Quote:

Peacock had a $914 million adjusted loss for 2020, according to a Comcast filing with the SEC Monday. The streamer contributed $118 million in revenue to NBCU. In addition, Comcast recorded $989 million in "eliminations" for Peacock last year, which are intracompany payments charged against revenue and operating earnings for a given division (e.g. content licensed to Peacock from other NBCU units).

Comcast said Peacock had 33 million signups in the U.S. at year-end but hasn't provided metrics on how many of those are paying subscribers. The service, available in free and premium subscription tiers, launched for Comcast cable subscribers last April and went nationwide in July 2020

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/peacock-lost-914-million-2020-comcast-nbcuniversal-1234925532/

Daaaannngg
Well I hope it fails. Than maybe I can watch Parks & Rec and The Office on Netflix again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.