Peacock streaming service seems like it might be terrible at launch

8,663 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by double aught
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
-not on Roku or firetv
-no user profiles
-no 4K
-no downloading episode to watch offline
-no ad free option

https://www.cnet.com/news/peacock-wont-offer-mobile-downloads-to-watch-offline-at-launch-wednesday/

https://www.cnet.com/news/peacock-without-roku-and-amazon-fire-tv-top-exec-is-ok-with-that/
Duncan Idaho
No roku i dont get.
I understand no firetv, I understand no downloads.

I dont understand no ad free version or 4k.
Malachi Constant
AG
Some boardroom executive should have the courage to call off the launch. This would be worst than AppleTv.
wbt5845
AG
This sounds like it'll be TV Hindenburg.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No Roku is always such a boneheaded decision. They have months or even years to get these deals done. How do they not get their ducks in a row before launching?
Fairview20
AG
The NBC Sports app is by far the worst app out of all the big sports networks so this doesn't surprise me that their flagship streaming service is looking like more of the same.
Fairview20
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
What exactly is on NBC to watch?

Hard No
FightinTexasAg15
AG
The Office, Parks and Rec, Community, The Good Place, B99, 30 Rock, Seinfeld are all on Netflix/Hulu for now. No need to download their app
Seven Costanza
AG
I think in the end, a lot of these companies are going to say "wasn't it a hell of a lot easier to just farm these old shows to Netflix and rake in the money with zero effort?"
AustinAg2K
So, if there's no Roku, am I supposed to watch it on my laptop?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I might get it for a month just so I can watch the new Psych movie
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Boomhauer89
AG
If anyone has Xfinity you can watch Peacock now through X1. The selection is so so, I was surprised to see the old Jeff Foxworthy show which was a nostalgic rewatch.
Jasomania
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I think in the end, a lot of these companies are going to say "wasn't it a hell of a lot easier to just farm these old shows to Netflix and rake in the money with zero effort?"
I'm really hoping for this. The only one that has done a good job is Disney+ who did the work and got their entire back catalog, made sure it was on every device, and had good original content at launch.

I assume HBO Max will eventually get it together but it has been a mess so far. I just can't imagine who is paying for Peacock or CBS All Access.
Tanya 93
Can someone dumb down exactly what Roku is?
Yoda
AG
Roku is essentially a streaming channel aggregate service, allowing you to stream pretty much all programs from one location on your TV. Think Netflix, Amazon prime, Apple, Disney+, etc. Sometimes it is built into a TV, but more commonly it is done via a USB-type stick plugged into an HDMI port.

Both Peacock and HBO Max have failed to make an agreement with Roku to feature their apps thus far, which along with Amazon Fire represents about seven out of every 10 television streamers.
Civen
AG
Tanya 93 said:

It's a device that connects to your tv, like a cable box. It lets you log into (almost) all the separate streaming services so that you can watch on your tv instead of a laptop/phone/tablet.

It competes against Amazon Firestick/Google Chromecast/AppleTV, and generally has the most complete collection of services you can log in to. A lot of services don't play nice with Amazon or Apple since they're direct competitors with their own original programming. And the Chromecast is really held back by having to use your phone or tablet to control it.

It's a really dumb business move to not put your channel on Roku, since that's how a very large portion of people consume streaming content.
Mayor West
AG

YouBet
AG
Seven Costanza said:

You would think. See Microsoft for perfect example.
TriAg2010
AG
It's a shame that 30 Rock is off the air and we're missing Jack Donaghy's portrayal of this launch.
fig96
AG
Fairview20 said:

The NBC Sports app is by far the worst app out of all the big sports networks so this doesn't surprise me that their flagship streaming service is looking like more of the same.
The NBC Sports app is generally terrible, and the fact that Premier League is moving to Peacock is the only reason I'm actually going to end up subscribing to the service.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Civen said:

Tanya 93 said:

It's a device that connects to your tv, like a cable box. It lets you log into (almost) all the separate streaming services so that you can watch on your tv instead of a laptop/phone/tablet.

It competes against Amazon Firestick/Google Chromecast/AppleTV, and generally has the most complete collection of services you can log in to. A lot of services don't play nice with Amazon or Apple since they're direct competitors with their own original programming. And the Chromecast is really held back by having to use your phone or tablet to control it.

It's a really dumb business move to not put your channel on Roku, since that's how a very large portion of people consume streaming content.

I think something like 45% of all new TV's come with a roku built in now too.

Aggie owned, it's a great stock!
double aught
AG
YouBet said:

Seven Costanza said:

What has Microsoft done?
Tanya 93
Yoda said:

Roku is essentially a streaming channel aggregate service, allowing you to stream pretty much all programs from one location on your TV. Think Netflix, Amazon prime, Apple, Disney+, etc. Sometimes it is built into a TV, but more commonly it is done via a USB-type stick plugged into an HDMI port.

Both Peacock and HBO Max have failed to make an agreement with Roku to feature their apps thus far, which along with Amazon Fire represents about seven out of every 10 television streamers.
Thank you
Tanya 93
Civen said:

Tanya 93 said:

We have started streaming

A lot

So I wasn't sure what it was

Thank you
YouBet
AG
double aught said:

YouBet said:

Seven Costanza said:

What has Microsoft done?

Thinking back to their mobile endeavors. They gave up trying to own their own ecosystem and realized distributing their software/content on everyone else's platform would be more successful.
mazag08
AG
People actually thought NBC wasn't comprised of nothing but dumbasses?
Madagascar
AG
We get it through our Xfinity box. We have been watching Superstore on it and my biggest gripe so far is that it doesn't remember which episode you were on when you come back to it so you have to dig through the episodes to be able to pick up where you left off.
Iowaggie
AG
double aught
AG
What are the differences between the free and premium versions?
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

You can watch Peacock absolutely free - no credit card required! You can get even more by upgrading to Premium. Premium is your key to unlocking full seasons of exclusive Original series, next-day airings of current TV hits, and can't-miss LIVE sports matches.
TCTTS
AG
Is anyone else having trouble logging in via Apple TV? I signed up online and created a password, but the app itself on Apple TV won't recognize the password when trying to login that way.
bobinator
AG
I didn't have any trouble logging in on AppleTV but it keeps freezing for me trying to watch the Tottenham match.
boy09
AG
Very cool that they are blocking the use of external monitors...

AustinAg2K
It's like they don't want people to use their service.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.