Your Opinion: Directorial Masterpieces

3,684 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by C@LAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A Clockwork Orange
Magnolia
Reservoir Dogs
Hard Eight
The Cooler
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Tanya 93 said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pan's Labyrinth
thats a great one and a personal favorite.

some others off the top of my head (sorry OP, i cant list just one):

Apocalypse Now

The Revenant

Road to Perdition

The New World

Children of Men

Blade Runner 2049

Sicario

Se7en

I was debating between Pan and Children of Men.

I only wanted to list 1
Couldnt go wrong either way, IMO.

And I disagree with whomever said CoM only had a few great shots. i thought the whole movie was beautifully done, just a couple of those shots in particualr get all the notoriety (namely, the battle /ceasefire shot and the jeep ambush shot). but the rest of the film is Cuaron dialing things in and are incredibly subtle. The other two scenes just happen to be him letting loose and flexing like a badass.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining".

Strong choice with a friendly FIFY.

Godfather I
Godfather II
The Shining
The Thing (John Carpenter's version)
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Citizen Kane

Most mentioned, all excellent choices
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GrayMatter
AG
Roma comes to mind. I wasn't too excited seeing it in black and white, but I forgot all about it later and just got wrapped up in the movie.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Apollo 13 is up there for me. Such an epic story. Fantastic score. Great special effects.

One of Ron Howard's finest.
maverick2076
They Shall Not Grow Old.

Peter Jackson's work to colorize and correct the speed of century old war footage was masterful. His attention to detail in the use of forensic lip readers and regionally correct sound actors to bring voices to the silent film is breathtaking, and the narration done with actually WWI vets is inspired. This is WWI brought to life.
fig96
AG
Great question and a few of the ones I'd mention are taken, so I'll go with Brick.

Put aside your Rian Johnson/TLJ hate and watch this one if you haven't. It's a film noir murder mystery set in high school that totally shouldn't work, but it does and it's fantastic. A young Joseph Gordon Levitt is perfect in the lead and the dialogue feels straight out of a 50s gumshoe detective novel, and it's just so weird and interesting. It never takes itself too seriously but somehow gets you to buy into this criminal underworld that also happens to be operating out of someone's mom's basement. Really great watch.

Also considered: something by Edgar Wright because he's too good not to have a film in here somewhere.
oragator
American Beauty was universally praised when it came out and kind of fell by the wayside over the years (Spacy didn't help that). But that was as close to a perfectly directed movie as I have seen.
fig96
AG
Furlock Bones said:

AliasMan02 said:

Fury Road
was going to mention this. it's especially amazing given how much the green screen has come to take over movies.
Worth mentioning as the romanticized version of this and its related VFX work is often repeated, yes they shot a lot of insane live action for the cars in this film but there is TONS of VFX and green screen work in Fury Road. It's just really really well done.

Video here if anyone is curious.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
fig96 said:

Great question and a few of the ones I'd mention are taken, so I'll go with Brick.

Put aside your Rian Johnson/TLJ hate and watch this one if you haven't. It's a film noir murder mystery set in high school that totally shouldn't work, but it does and it's fantastic. A young Joseph Gordon Levitt is perfect in the lead and the dialogue feels straight out of a 50s gumshoe detective novel, and it's just so weird and interesting. It never takes itself too seriously but somehow gets you to buy into this criminal underworld that also happens to be operating out of someone's mom's basement. Really great watch.

Also considered: something by Edgar Wright because he's too good not to have a film in here somewhere.
I've never seen that one, but I thought Knives Out demonstrated his abilities as a story teller. Star Wars was just not his wheelhouse.
BadMoonRisin
AG
The Fountain
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
Racer X
AG
Sorcerer

Super simple storyline, fantastic score, perfectly casted and acted. You're never far from the edge of your seat.
The Debt
Birdman?
jeffk
AG
Hot Fuzz
Elmo Lincoln
AG
The Silence of the Lambs
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MW03 said:

Goodfellas. Everything about that movie is masterful; however, the way Scorsese shot it is particularly brilliant. The cuts with the freeze frame, the pacing, the copa sequence, Henry Hill breaking the 4th wall, the music. Everything is so perfectly balanced. It's a violent, bloody, vulgar mob movie that I'd recommend to anyone.

The single long tracking shot through the club was amazing
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Mulholland Dr...... mindbending stuff just plotwise. But the direction, cinematography and vision and style are amazing.

And it's a hybrid of different genres - you've got the film noir elements, the gritty real world stuff, nearly horror in some parts, psychological thriller ala Psycho, In a nearly incomprehensible love/revenge story that defies definition and keeps the viewer off balance the entire time.

Requires multiple viewings to even begin to decipher it - which is probably why it is under-appreciated.

I've spent more time analyzing it, reading about it, and talking about it with a small group of film buffs i used to work with than any film I've ever seen.

GoAgs92
AG
Robert Altmans Short Cuts

Combined with The Player thats a good back to back run
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.