Ready Player Two Release (Nov. 2020)

8,273 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Roll the Bones
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ready Player Two will reportedly be released on November 24th of this year.

https://www.tor.com/2020/07/08/ernest-clines-ready-player-two-will-hit-bookstores-in-november/

I should be done with the Wheel of Time well before then, but I'm going to make sure I have enough time to get a RPO reread in before this comes out.
schmendeler
AG
whenever i think of the first movie all i can picture are scenes from 'Ralph Breaks the Internet'.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The movie was an extremely poor imitation of the book
Mayor West
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The movie was an extremely poor imitation of the book

Maybe, but as someone who had never even heard of the book, never mind read it, before watching the movie I really enjoyed it for what it was.
Ag Since 83
AG
I like but don't love the movie. I never expected it to be great just because the book is too much for a 2 hour movie. They did a good job of making the challenges cinematic (what they did with the second key is actually pretty brilliant), but so much of the story and character development takes place in between the keys they didn't really have time for it. It's a fun entertaining movie, nothing else.

It's the kind of story I think would be better told as an 8-10 hour limited series, but that would be too expensive to make.

I'll pre-order the new book.
PatAg
AG
I really have no idea what he could do in the world to make an interesting story. I look forward to reading it.
Boomhauer89
AG
Excited to see what direction the story goes, pre-ordered today on Amazon. Hurry up 11/24!
Duncan Idaho
Hope it is better than the space invader book.
Fairview
AG
Hopefully this thread doesn't turn in to what the first thread was which was people dissing the book. I read / listen to a ton of books and Ready Player One is one of my favorites. It's also one of my teenage sons favorites so that makes it that much better.

That move was such a let down though. It would have done so much better as multi-episode thing on Netflix or HBO.

When I saw the announcement about Ready Player 2 this morning I got pretty pumped.
The Dog Lord
AG
Agreed. It's a fun read. I don't really get bent out of shape about random stuff like it being a "nostalgia fest" like some people do. Sometimes, all I'm looking for is entertainment.
Raptor
AG
Ready Player Two: Women Gamers and Designed Identity

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1517900697/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H8JbFbW30CKMK
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

NASAg03
The book was horrible. The movie was horrible.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
hunter2012
AG
I liked both, I didn't catch near the amount of references in the books not being alive in the 80s. The book was was best for book format and the movie for movie. The 3 challenges in the movies were much much more cinematic than the challenges in the book. They got the spirit of the book nailed down well along with references for a wider audience.
Bunk Moreland
The book was fantastic. Movie was a solid attempt and good enough of an adaptation.

Didn't even know there was a Ready Player Two in the works.
amercer
AG
I loved the book and enjoyed the movie. Neither one was "good" in an artistic sense.

It's a cool world, and would make for a good setting for an anime series (actually there are a number that sort of have the same concept) but it's hard to see how he makes an interesting sequel.
bluefire579
AG
I wanted to like the book. The references and action were both fun, but man, I found so much of the main character's personality to be super cringey in a neckbeard kind of way. I think I appreciated the movie more for really toning that aspect down.
Tanya 93
I heard The Reflex by Duran Duran, Just Like Heaven by The Cure, and How Soon is Now by The Smiths at the grocery store this morning

80's always rules!
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed the book but it was like hunger games for 80's nostalgia junkies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Why would you partake in both?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Cant Hardly Wait

Spielberg already has plans to ruin the movie
jm94
AG
PatAg said:

I really have no idea what he could do in the world to make an interesting story. I look forward to reading it.

What comes next?
You've been freed
Do you know how hard it is to lead?
You're on your own
Awesome, wow!
Do you have a clue what happens now?
Oceans rise
Empires fall
It's much harder when it's all your call
All alone, across the sea
When your people say they hate you
Don't come crawling back to me
mazag08
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Cant Hardly Wait

Spielberg already has plans to ruin the movie

This deserves a sequel before Ready Player One.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I like but don't love the movie. I never expected it to be great just because the book is too much for a 2 hour movie. They did a good job of making the challenges cinematic (what they did with the second key is actually pretty brilliant), but so much of the story and character development takes place in between the keys they didn't really have time for it. It's a fun entertaining movie, nothing else.

It's the kind of story I think would be better told as an 8-10 hour limited series, but that would be too expensive to make.

I'll pre-order the new book.
think you nailed it.
MW03
AG
I'm not going to pretend that the book is a work of art or anything, but it's an awesome read. The movie, for being a different animal, was pretty enjoyable as a popcorn flick.
DallasTeleAg
I thought the book was okay. I actually liked the movie better and appreciated the changes they made to the story to adapt it.

Not at all interested in a sequel.
Furlock Bones
AG
MW03 said:

I'm not going to pretend that the book is a work of art or anything, but it's an awesome read. The movie, for being a different animal, was pretty enjoyable as a popcorn flick.
i'd say the book is better than the sum of its parts. very fun and there is nothing wrong with that.
Boomhauer89
AG
Day before release bump, anyone else have a preorder showing up tomorrow? I have it on order from Audible and perfectly lines up with a quick day trip to see a customer can't wait to dive in!
Desert Power
AG
Yeah I preordered it on Audible as well. I have 16 hrs worth of road trip this weekend seeing family and I can't wait to listen to it.
PatAg
AG
Brandon Sanderson takes precedence.
hurleyag
AG
I need to push through my current read, but have the preorder hard copy coming to my local bookstore.
The Dog Lord
AG
Finished my most recent book yesterday, so I'm a ready for my preorder to arrive tomorrow.
MookieBlaylock
AG
my body saying let's go but my heart is saying no
bonfarr
AG
The book was pretty good if it had been written by a teenaged gamer. It seemed a bit amateurish like all of the author's work.
Dr. Horrible
bonfarr said:

The book was pretty good if it had been written by a teenaged gamer. It seemed a bit amateurish like all of the author's work.
I wonder what that says about me since I really enjoyed all his prior work...
PatAg
AG
NASAg03 said:

The book was horrible. The movie was horrible.
Your post was horrible.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.