Palm Springs (Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti)

7,861 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by West Point Aggie
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Aggie4242 said:

Swarely said:

I liked it.

Did they fo to a different reality?

The mid-credits scene implies that each re-start was actually a new multi-verse branch in the loop. If it was the same universe, Roy wouldn't have run into Samberg's character at all as Millioti's character said the goat disappeared after she blew it up in the cave.

Or, Roy was the one that was originally stuck in the loop and when he introduced Samberg to it, that started a new infinite loop in a separate universe where Samberg then introduced Roy to it.

I thought the mid-credits scene implies that Nyles got out of the loop? So he wouldn't know Roy at that wedding if he got out of the loop and moved on.
This was my interpretation.
RigsTx
AG
powerbelly said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Aggie4242 said:

Swarely said:

I liked it.

The mid-credits scene implies that each re-start was actually a new multi-verse branch in the loop. If it was the same universe, Roy wouldn't have run into Samberg's character at all as Millioti's character said the goat disappeared after she blew it up in the cave.

Or, Roy was the one that was originally stuck in the loop and when he introduced Samberg to it, that started a new infinite loop in a separate universe where Samberg then introduced Roy to it.

I thought the mid-credits scene implies that Nyles got out of the loop? So he wouldn't know Roy at that wedding if he got out of the loop and moved on.
But in that case they wouldn't be sitting in the pool on the day after in the same clothes and they wouldn't have ended up together right? Because Nyles would have never caught his gf cheating on him. So there would have to be at least two separate universes. The one where Nyles stays with his GF and the other where he has experienced everything from the time loop.

Also I kind of thought the grandma was stuck in the time loop also and that she was content reliving that day over and over as opposed to facing her death. But that was just my interpretation.

mavsfan4ever
AG
This is how I took it as well.
Aggie4242
powerbelly said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Aggie4242 said:

Swarely said:

I liked it.

Right.

Sorry, should have been more clear. When Roy came to the wedding, the Nyles we knew is already out of the loop. However, this could show how Nyles ended up originally getting stuck in the loop because Roy would have to go to the cave to close his loop.

Also, if you remember the first time Nyles met/partied with Roy, Roy did some things that suggested he had been through this before, specifically, when he told Nyles to search the officiants jacket for the bag of coke. What if Roy never figured out how to escape the loop and he keeps coming back until Nyles enters the cave and tells him that it holds all of his answers?

Basically, I'm suggesting that the time loop never actually closes for Nyles until he is able to escape it. Then it starts all over when his gf tells Roy about how to escape. Roy goes to the wedding, meets "new" Nyles, Roy (maybe?) escapes, Nyles finds the cave and enters the loop.

Now, the problem is that the gf said the goat disappeared after the explosion, but left open the possibility that it didn't. If it didn't, then Roy could have inadvertently started the whole loop over by introducing himself to Nyles.

I'm probably thinking too deeply about this movie but the concept fascinates me
Aggie4242
RigsTx said:

powerbelly said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Aggie4242 said:

Swarely said:

I liked it.

But in that case they wouldn't be sitting in the pool on the day after in the same clothes and they wouldn't have ended up together right? Because Nyles would have never caught his gf cheating on him. So there would have to be at least two separate universes. The one where Nyles stays with his GF and the other where he has experienced everything from the time loop.

Also I kind of thought the grandma was stuck in the time loop also and that she was content reliving that day over and over as opposed to facing her death. But that was just my interpretation.

If they created a new branch in the multiverse every time they reset, it would make sense for them to end up together in the same clothes. Basically, they branches off from their old reality and started the next day in a new reality.
Quinn
AG
Aggie4242 said:

powerbelly said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Aggie4242 said:

Swarely said:

I liked it.

Right.

Sorry, should have been more clear. When Roy came to the wedding, the Nyles we knew is already out of the loop. However, this could show how Nyles ended up originally getting stuck in the loop because Roy would have to go to the cave to close his loop.

Also, if you remember the first time Nyles met/partied with Roy, Roy did some things that suggested he had been through this before, specifically, when he told Nyles to search the officiants jacket for the bag of coke. What if Roy never figured out how to escape the loop and he keeps coming back until Nyles enters the cave and tells him that it holds all of his answers?

Basically, I'm suggesting that the time loop never actually closes for Nyles until he is able to escape it. Then it starts all over when his gf tells Roy about how to escape. Roy goes to the wedding, meets "new" Nyles, Roy (maybe?) escapes, Nyles finds the cave and enters the loop.

Now, the problem is that the gf said the goat disappeared after the explosion, but left open the possibility that it didn't. If it didn't, then Roy could have inadvertently started the whole loop over by introducing himself to Nyles.

I'm probably thinking too deeply about this movie but the concept fascinates me

That part about knowing the "minister" had cocaine was confusing because it implied that he had been through it before, but then he acted like he hadn't seen the cave and then he was super pissed at Nyles the next time he saw him.

Also, I agree with the person that said MeeMaw was stuck in the loop, happily enjoying her granddaughter's wedding every day.

Great movie - lots of fun and weirdly perfect timing on the release.
powerbelly
AG
They knew he had coke from them doing lines before the ceremony.
Quinn
AG
powerbelly said:

They knew he had coke from them doing lines before the ceremony.
That happened after he had met Roy bc that was when he smelled the pillow, which was obviously after all the stuff with Sarah. I don't think it's clear how Roy knew, and Nyles was surprised that he did have it.
Btron
AG
Do we know how Nyles got into the loop in the first place? We never see his first flashback to how he gets stuck in the loop correct?
Leggo My Elko
AG
Fun movie, both the wife and enjoyed very much. Blended some genres in ways I really enjoyed. Really happy to see a R-rated comedy get the love it's getting. Hopefully it allows more to get made.
Counterpoint
AG
Not knowing ANYTHING about this movie, I watched it right after I finished Dark on Netflix.

I'm definitely not going in a cave for awhile.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Yeah entire family watched this a few nights ago - very funny.

Geriatric Punk
AG
Great movie for a weekday for sure. Great pacing. Fun premise. Good laughs. Over by 10:00.

Ya. I'm old. I need my 8 hours.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
SquirrellyDan
AG
When we first meet Roy after shooting Nyles with the arrow, why does he go back to the cave and why was Nyles compelled to follow him?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

When we first meet Roy after shooting Nyles with the arrow, why does he go back to the cave and why was Nyles compelled to follow him?

My guess is...... Roy accomplished his goal of putting Nyles in terrible pain. And so he wants a quick death knowing there isn't any escaping it anyway. And whatever happens in that cave he dies quickly.

And ditto Nyles is now in incredible pain and wants to die ASAP.

Quinn
AG
They both did what they wanted to do that day so time to hit the reset button.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

SquirrellyDan said:

My guess is...... Roy accomplished his goal of putting Nyles in terrible pain. And so he wants a quick death knowing there isn't any escaping it anyway. And whatever happens in that cave he dies quickly.

And ditto Nyles is now in incredible pain and wants to die ASAP.

That makes sense. Great movie.
lazuras_dc
AG
Watched this tonight knowing zero. Almost turned it off 10minutes in thinking it was a typical stupid rom com or something. Glad I stuck it out. Time loop movies are fantastic. Wouldn't say it's as good as Edge of tomorrow , Groundhog Day, etc. but plenty entertaining and way better than I expected when I started the movie !
JamesPShelley
lazuras_dc said:

Watched this tonight knowing zero. Almost turned it off 10minutes in thinking it was a typical stupid rom com or something. Glad I stuck it out. Time loop movies are fantastic. Wouldn't say it's as good as Edge of tomorrow , Groundhog Day, etc. but plenty entertaining and way better than I expected when I started the movie !

My wife left at about that mark. Samberg standing... you know. Already I had seen the movie and thought it was great. It's a lov story. My, "Sorry it doesn't have any girl witches, Archies, or doctors in it." didn't inspire her to give it a second run.
maxag42
Fun movie!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Watched this tonight and enjoyed it. Fun watch.
Punked Shank
AG
Aggie4242 said:

RigsTx said:

powerbelly said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Aggie4242 said:

Swarely said:

I liked it.

If they created a new branch in the multiverse every time they reset, it would make sense for them to end up together in the same clothes. Basically, they branches off from their old reality and started the next day in a new reality.

This is the correct answer. It's like half of you were texting and not paying attention to the movie.

They literally say I guess the family gets
Home November 10th while they are in the pool
Ogre09
AG
If the goat escaped from the loop by exploding, how did Nyles reappear in Roy's loop after he blasted out?
Sazerac
AG
This was a fun watch
West Point Aggie
AG
This was quirky fun...

I really liked the choreographed dance scene and how he loved to mess with the girl that kept cheating on him...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.