2020 Metal Thread - New Releases

3,716 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Roll the Bones
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't browse for music quite as much as I used to, so hopefully we can all share the new stuff being put out. Here's a couple to start.

Protest The Hero
New album drops in June. It's been "done" for a while, but with Rody having throat surgery they had to postpone vocal tracking and wait for him to recover and get his pipes back. I'm definitely hearing a lot more Kezia style vocals with a spattering of true 80's style. So glad to have new Protest.

Enter Shikari
Not a fan of their new album overall, but this song is really cool if you like electronic and metal mixed together.

Asking Alexandria
They've definitely gone more mainstream

Silverstein
New album is mostly screamo crap like most of their catalog, but they do put out a decent song from time to time. Very mainstreamish though.

The Acacia Strain
Chugga chugga chugga

Oceans
Germany always produces awesome metal

Killswitch Engage
B-sides from their last album

Veil of Maya
Complex yet not..

Testament
Love these guys. Classic metal still evolving

Sabaton
Anthemic march to war?

Trivium
They've stopped trying to be the modern Metallica and seem to have hit a groove with their sound

Amaranthe
Just enjoy Elize

mazag08
AG
And this parody of the burning butthole pastor might be the best thing I've seen this year..

tk for tu juan
Technically this is for 2019, but the Lego remake of the video should qualify it for 2020.

tk for tu juan
Forgot this album released back in Feb

tk for tu juan
Slightly meh on this song

tk for tu juan
Wasn't expecting a Lamb of God song to remind me that I am buying too much crap and potentially drowning myself in debt

John Matrix
AG
The new Lamb of God album absolutely slays. It's a back-to-basics semi-resurrection for a band that was never close to bad or anything but really needed a kick in the pants. It's pretty awesome.
Eliminatus
AG
John Matrix said:

The new Lamb of God album absolutely slays. It's a back-to-basics semi-resurrection for a band that was never close to bad or anything but really needed a kick in the pants. It's pretty awesome.

Man, I am having a hard time getting into it. It's good. Just not giving me what I need. And LoG are my dudes....

Feel conflicted somehow. I think I made it to about 20 mins I to the album before I switched it back to Ashes.

Maybe it will just take time but this does not have the reach out and grab you by the face kind of vibe I am used to from them.
astros4545
AG

Big Cat `93
AG
That Protest the Hero album is excellent. I haven't listened to their stuff in a long while. Thanks for the heads up.

The new Caligula's Horse album has been in steady rotation for me since the release date. Great stuff. Can't wait to hear all of the new Haken release.
tk for tu juan
astros4545 said:

Nice
tk for tu juan
Some new Slipknot

62strat
AG
new gojira

mazag08
AG
This isn't even remotely close to new. But I hadn't heard this band since high school. How did I never hear this song? Tell me this isn't haunting as hell, while weirdly satisfying?

mazag08
AG
And this is the best song on the new Protest the Hero album, though I wish they would sing about their country and stop misrepresenting American history.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Seether - they are Nu Metal or Alt Metal anyway

Album coming Aug 28: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

which is Latin for "If you want peace, prepare for war"

tk for tu juan
62strat said:

new gojira

I still need to see them live. That new song could be considered a sequel to Global Warming. The video animation is pretty good,
62strat
AG
tk for tu juan said:

62strat said:

new gojira

I still need to see them live. That new song could be considered a sequel to Global Warming. The video animation is pretty good,
I saw them like in 2008 open for In Flames at HOB Houston. Had never heard of them, but remember thinking they sounded like Metallica.

Saw them again back in 2017 open for Opeth at Red Rocks, which was phenomenal and I knew them pretty well at that point.

Then again last year open for Slipknot.

They put on a damn good show. Very precise and on point musicianship wise.
Roll the Bones
AG
Pain of Salvation's new album Panther comes out later this month. I'm always excited for new music from these guys from Sweden. Have been following them since I first heard Entropia in the late 90s. First two videos have been released.

Not sure what I think of this second one yet. Seems to cut off just when it's getting interesting.

tk for tu juan
Living in a car isn't very yarr

tk for tu juan
62strat said:

Mario's drumming got me into Gojira, dude is a metronome. First time I heard them was sitting at a stoplight listening to the Liquid Metal channel when suddenly "Silvera" came on. The kick drum line and fills was an instant hook.

Sometimes it looks like he is using marching sticks

mazag08
AG
I've seen some reaction videos for this song. It's a Sabaton song and Amaranthe covered it.

Who did it better?

I'm a sucker for Elize, so my vote is Amaranthe.
62strat
AG
tk for tu juan said:

62strat said:

Mario's drumming got me into Gojira, dude is a metronome. First time I heard them was sitting at a stoplight listening to the Liquid Metal channel when suddenly "Silvera" came on. The kick drum line and fills was an instant hook.

Sometimes it looks like he is using marching sticks

Lars got me in to drumming over 25 years ago.. and I know Mario is the same (and sounds like right around the same time, Mario is 1 year younger than me, and I started playing in 93/94.) So he's good in my book!

Seriously though, he is one of the, not just more technical, but more creative drummers out there in metal.
mazag08
AG
Yesssss

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/in-the-studio/dream-theater-to-work-on-a-new-album-this-fall/amp
tk for tu juan
Hearing Dream Theater reminds me of my first year on the high school drum line. The drum line captain and another dude were big Dream Theater fans and would always play Under the Glass Moon on any drum near them during idle times in practice. Damn rhythm is stuck in my head
Big Cat `93
AG
Old school alert: Graham Bonnet has reformed Alcatrazz and put out a new album called Born Innocent. It's quite good.
tk for tu juan
Danzig has never sounded better:

mazag08
AG
Probably not the cup of tea for most of you, but for those who like female led power ballads, this is pretty good. Personally, I have a major soft spot for the poppy metal of Amaranthe.

jetch17
AG
Good to have some new Deftones with a new album coming out 9/25

tk for tu juan
Roll the Bones
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Arjen is a genius. Love all of his Ayreon and other projects. Would love to hear another Star One album.
drewbie08
AG
jetch17 said:

Good to have some new Deftones with a new album coming out 9/25

New Deftones album is legit. I love their stuff.
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
TP Ag '87
AG
Help an old man out: out of those mentioned here, which are ones with mostly "clean" vocals (non-gutteral screaming)?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.