****The Last Kingdom - Season 4****

6,064 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OleArmyBQ68
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought this series was done, so this was a very nice surprise! One of the best series on Netflix.

RC_57
AG
Ah man

Not until the 26th

I say release Uhtred NOW!
Teddy Perkins
AG
Destiny is all.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Show has just gotten better each season imo. Can't wait for the next season.
Trident 88
AG
Available this Sunday!!
AGnBCS
AG

This show has become as enjoyable as GOT was to me and I never saw it coming. Every season has just gotten better in terms of everything from acting to writing . So glad we get another scene but I am wary . Everything was very well tied up at season threes conclusion. Hopefully we still get some great story telling and character development / interaction .

I'd watch a show with just Finnan and Stiappa insulting each other .
ham98
Better than Vikings
PatAg
AG
ham98 said:

Better than Vikings
100%

I really liked Ragnar, Lagertha, and Floki's character though.
zip90
AG
Been looking forward to this since they announced the had begun filming back in March of 2019!
maverick2076
The books are awesome. Uhtred is such a likeable *******.
Teddy Perkins
AG
S1Ep1 scene 1 - forgot he was in this!

wbt5845
AG
maverick2076 said:

The books are awesome. Uhtred is such a likeable *******.
The books are just fantastic.

And "destiny is all" is the easier to understand TV version of the Old English saying "fate is inexorable" - which is what is said in the book.

Joseph Parrish
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

S1Ep1 scene 1 - forgot he was in this!

Lol, this is all I thought about when he was on screen. I'm kinda glad he wasn't in it very long!
Medina Co Ag
AG
Such an underrated gem of a series that keeps getting better each season. I still can't believe it didn't make the Rotten Tomatoes Netflix showdown, as I think it easily should beat half the shows listed.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Really good season, IMO. I realized that I just love the pacing of this show. The story line doesn't seem to ever bog down.

I also liked that we got some new battle tactics this year with the Battle of Tettenhall, Sigtryggr's battle against the Welsh, and the siege of Winchester.

S4Ep2 spoiler: Losing Beocca was rough. I felt that one.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I keep wondering if they are going to start aging the characters pretty soon. Uthred was around 40 in the books during this season. They have handled it well so far, but eventually it seems to me like they are going to have to start either replacing some of the younger actors or aging them significantly.
AgGrad99
AG
Good season. Every time I think the same story line might be repeating itself, they throw in a twist that takes the story in a different direction. They also do a really good job of introducing new characters seamlessly.

Joseph Parrish
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I keep wondering if they are going to start aging the characters pretty soon. Uthred was around 40 in the books during this season. They have handled it well so far, but eventually it seems to me like they are going to have to start either replacing some of the younger actors or aging them significantly.

The actor that plays Uhtred is almost 40.
Stupe
S
I was wondering why this all of the sudden popped back up on the popular list.

I didn't realize there was a new season.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

Champ Bailey said:

I get that, but it's not just him. In 2-3 seasons they are going to be to the point in the books where everyone of the kids are fully grown, and Uthred is around 50-60. And they all have pretty significant roles. That's the great thing about this show, is that even the minor characters still play significant roles and are pretty fleshed out characters.
The D
AG
This is my favorite show on Netflix ! This season was excellent
Prime0882
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Joseph Parrish said:

Champ Bailey said:

I get that, but it's not just him. In 2-3 seasons they are going to be to the point in the books where everyone of the kids are fully grown, and Uthred is around 50-60. And they all have pretty significant roles. That's the great thing about this show, is that even the minor characters still play significant roles and are pretty fleshed out characters.
Another great season. I feel like this is such an underrated/overlooked show but hope it gets to get through the full 13 books in the series. It looks like through 4 seasons they have covered the ground of the first 8 books. The 13th, and final, is set to release this fall. I haven't read the series, so I do not know how much plot has to be covered over the last 5 books, but, they've told a pretty compact tale so far. I hope Netflix keeps it going to its end.

I agree that the aging of the children seems like it could become a bigger problem going forward. I think I read that by the final book Uthred will be in his 70s, possibly older? Seeing his kids from season 3 to season 4 grow from being under 10 years old to older teenagers, while he and Brida showed no signs of aging, was a bit weird. I have a feeling they're just not going to ever address it and let Andrew Draymon always look the way he does to spare the budget.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah I listened to them all on audiotape, but they are fun and quick.
Madmarttigan
AG
The interaction between him and Alfred at the end of last season was just a perfect culmination of the first three seasons. I thought it was really well done. Haven't gotten a chance to binge through this season yet, only a few episodes in.

Definitely better than Vikings. Backstab after backstab after backstab....
Ulrich
I haven't watched the most recent season of Vikings yet, but it seemed to get more and more anachronistic as the series progressed. Hoping that since Last Kingdom is based on books it will stay more true to the era.
scoodogg
AG
Great season. Great show. I decided to give it a look after reading a Texags thread where someone asked for suggestions to replace Game of Thrones. Glad I did.
FL_Ag1998
AG
The fourth season is not the same show as the first three seasons. Its a subtle difference, but definitely there in the writing and direction. I checked IMDB and yep, the primary writer for seasons 1-3 was not involved in the 4th season.

The show used to be about Uhtred. The first three seasons were fantastic because of the Uhtred-Alfred dynamic. Obviously Alfred was a big loss for the dynamic of the show, but this season wasn't even about Uhtred, it was about the politics of Mercia and Wessex eventually becoming England. The dialogue just wasn't quite up to par with Seasons 1-3...good, but not quite as good.

Still a good show, but not the same.
Madmarttigan
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

The fourth season is not the same show as the first three seasons. Its a subtle difference, but definitely there in the writing and direction. I checked IMDB and yep, the primary writer for seasons 1-3 was not involved in the 4th season.

The show used to be about Uhtred. The first three seasons were fantastic because of the Uhtred-Alfred dynamic. Obviously Alfred was a big loss for the dynamic of the show, but this season wasn't even about Uhtred, it was about the politics of Mercia and Wessex eventually becoming England. The dialogue just wasn't quite up to par with Seasons 1-3...good, but not quite as good.

Maybe that is a good explanation for how I felt. It was good but was missing a little something for me.
wbt5845
AG
TIL there's more than 9 books in the The Saxon Stories! I have three more book to read!
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

The overall story and viewpoints pretty much follow the books still, from what my memory tells me.
aggierogue
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Felt exactly the same. It's not even the storyline that got me, but the acting and delivery. Many scenes felt extremely rushed. It reminded me of GOT and how the writing was just not as well done in the final seasons.
Trident 88
AG
I just realized why I enjoy it so much when Uhtred talks sh*t to other characters.

It's the actor's accent and singsong delivery of his lines. He sounds a lot like Hans and Franz, the "Pump (clap) You Up!" bodybuilding brothers from SNL played by Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon in the late 80s.

I can almost hear Uhtred add "girly man" to the end of his taunts.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I enjoyed the season as a whole. Kind of glad the Aethelfaed and Mercia storyline is kind of done. For those saying that the season wasn't as quality as the previous season, I think the last three or four episodes of the season recaptured some of that which had been lacking.
Trident 88
AG
For future reference:

Aethel...
Wold - Alfred's scheming nephew who collaborated with the Danes
Red - jerk king of Mercia
Flaed - pretty queen of Mercia
Helm - jerk F-I-L of Edward
Stan - Edward's son by his first wife who is hidden away by his grandmother, Aelswith, and eventually ends up being the first king to rule over a united England
brew82
How'd I miss this show? I just binged all 4 seasons the past week or so, every season was fantastic. Beocca might be my favorite character of any show. Wise, kind, tough, loyal a very honorable character.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.