Need book recommendations

2,800 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by yemtig
GunRangeGal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be out of work until at least 4/30. I'm struggling to find a high fantasy book/series that I can really disappear into right now.

I generally like the fantasy genre, but occasionally dabble in thrillers/horror. If it's available on audiobook, even better since I try to walk 7-8 miles a day to keep my stamina up for when I get back to work.

Here's what I've read/listened to recently...
All the Game of Thrones
Harry Potter (never read them when I was younger, and made for easy listening while I was working)
Re-read Eragon/Inheritance Trilogy
Lord of the Rings & Hobbit
The Mists of Avalon
The Mist
A few Dan Brown books here and there
Kingkiller Chronicles (probably my most favorite series of the moment)

I tried to get into the Stormlight Archive series, but just couldn't. I'll probably pick it back up eventually.

I'm currently reading The Sword of Truth series, so that will keep me busy for a bit.

Help... it's either find a new book to read, or picking up ANOTHER cook book and getting fat!
FNG
GunRangeGal said:

I'll be out of work until at least 4/30. I'm struggling to find a high fantasy book/series that I can really disappear into right now.

I generally like the fantasy genre, but occasionally dabble in thrillers/horror. If it's available on audiobook, even better since I try to walk 7-8 miles a day to keep my stamina up for when I get back to work.

All the Game of Thrones
Harry Potter (never read them when I was younger, and made for easy listening while I was working)
The Mists of Avalon
The Mist

I tried to get into the Stormlight Archive series, but just couldn't. I'll probably pick it back up eventually.

I'm currently reading The Sword of Truth series, so that will keep me busy for a bit.

Help... it's either find a new book to read, or picking up ANOTHER cook book and getting fat!

Listening while walking?

The books by Neil Peart. Masked Rider and Ghost Rider.
GunRangeGal
AG
Thank you!

Yep! I own a dog walking business and the miles can go by verrrrry slowly, which is why I listen to audiobook in between podcasts. However, time NOT walking passes by even slower!
FNG
They are basically diaries of two trips.

One, a bicycle tour in Cameroon in the early 90's.

The other, a 55,000 mile motorcycle trip after the passing of both is wife and daughter within a year of each other.

Not novels by any means. But something different by a good writer. And if you walk that much per day, you will go through a lot of books so why not!
FancyKetchup14
AG
I know you said you've been into High Fantasy-Esque books, but you mentioned cookbooks so...

I recommend Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential." A great dive into the underworld of kitchens and his life in the culinary world.
Vince Blake
The 10th Anniversary edition of American Gods with a full cast is one of the best audiobooks ever.
Counterpoint
AG
GunRangeGal said:

All the Game of Thrones
The Mists of Avalon
The Mist

You want high fantasy, and you loved two books with "mist" in the title so...how about Mistborn?

maverick2076
The Licanius Trilogy

The Black Prism series by Brett Weeks

Spellmonger by Terry Mancour

Demon Cycle by Peter V Brett

The Monster Hunter series by a Larry Correia

Frontlines by Marko Kloos
dragmagpuff
AG
Counterpoint said:

GunRangeGal said:

All the Game of Thrones
The Mists of Avalon
The Mist

You want high fantasy, and you loved two books with "mist" in the title so...how about Mistborn?

But, she wasn't a fan of the Stormlight Archive by the same author. Is Mistborn different enough?
Claude!
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles (aimed at a slightly younger audience, but a great series)
Raymond Feist's Riftworld Saga
Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (very epic, but also confusing and jarring at times - not much handholding)
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (very comedic, very British; huge set of books loosely interconnected - I'd recommend starting with Wyrd Sisters or Guards! Guards!)
Tanya 93
Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Good Omens
GunRangeGal
AG
Thanks, friends! I'll look into each recommendation as I literally only have time on my hands!
aggietony2010
AG
dragmagpuff said:

Counterpoint said:

GunRangeGal said:

All the Game of Thrones
The Mists of Avalon
The Mist

But, she wasn't a fan of the Stormlight Archive by the same author. Is Mistborn different enough?

It depends how far she got into Stormlight. The Way of Kings is a big book, and takes a bit to get going, and is part of an eventual 10 book arc. Mistborn is half the length, way more compact, and lets you experience the "Sanderson Slide/Avalanche" without 60 hours of commitment. It's also entirely read by Michael Kramer on audiobook (who splits the time with Kate Reading in the Stormlight books who isn't nearly as good).

The Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown is a fun, intense read. It's sci-fi, but it feels more like a fantasy novel. Tom Gerard Reynolds narrates the **** out of the audiobook too. Probably the best audiobook narration I've listened to.
Article 58-10 Offender
Bad Dude said:

The 10th Anniversary edition of American Gods with a full cast is one of the best audiobooks ever.

I'm currently reading this book and man, maybe I'm just not a smart man, but I don't get the hype,
jkag89
You might enjoy the Once and Future King and The Book of Merlyn by T.H. White.
Madmarttigan
AG
I haven't listened but the Dresden Files audiobooks are supposed to be awesome.

Night Angel series by weeks

Mistborn by Sanderson

Pepper Brooks
AG
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3087065/replies/56319660

This thread has enough recommendations to keep you occupied for a while. Most of the ones on here are there as well.

Based on your read list, I'd start by reading every book Brandon Sanderson has written.

"The Cradle" series by Will Wight is extremely entertaining too.
maverick2076
It was good. Not great. Good Omens, though, is amazing.
Article 58-10 Offender
maverick2076 said:

It was good. Not great. Good Omens, though, is amazing.
I'm about 2/3 through. It's not my usual book type, but I was trying to branch out a little and it looked interesting. It's not bad, really. It just seems to be sort of meandering without much point. Maybe it finishes strong.
JCA1
AG
Based on your username, you should give the Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter a try. Point of Impact in particular is an incredible book.
Tyler Santouchme
I second Red Rising, it's fantastic. After reading kingkiller chronicles, I read the lies of Locke Lamora and almost enjoyed it as much, so that tells you something.
maverick2076
The Locke Lamora's books are awesome. I can't wait for the next one. Kingkiller had great promise. Unfortunately, Rothfuss is a lying, whiny piece of **** who caught GRRM disease and will never finish the series.
Southlake
Definitely The Dresden Files!
Counterpoint
AG
Romeromi said:

I second Red Rising, it's fantastic. After reading kingkiller chronicles, I read the lies of Locke Lamora and almost enjoyed it as much, so that tells you something.
How would you rank the three series? (I've read Kingkiller)

Pepper Brooks
AG
They're very different stories. I'd personally go KC, Locke, RR... but the last two are very close.
YouBet
AG
maverick2076 said:

The Locke Lamora's books are awesome. I can't wait for the next one. Kingkiller had great promise. Unfortunately, Rothfuss is a lying, whiny piece of **** who caught GRRM disease and will never finish the series.

Flat out don't understand the fascination with this Kingkiller. I read the first book. It was ok. And then I started seeing people talking about it in terms of literally changing their life and being the the most innovative, incredible thing they had ever read.

I almost went back and reread to see what I missed but did not. Anyway, to each his own.
YouBet
AG
For OP, if you have nothing but time Malazan will consume all of it. Took me two years to read it straight through beginning to end. It's incredible but as someone else said it's a massive, epic story with hundreds of characters and is a complex read.

Probably not built for audio.
Claude!
YouBet said:

maverick2076 said:

Flat out don't understand the fascination with this Kingkiller. I read the first book. It was ok. And then I started seeing people talking about it in terms of literally changing their life and being the the most innovative, incredible thing they had ever read.

I almost went back and reread to see what I missed but did not. Anyway, to each his own.
I'm with you on that. I thought the framing story was relatively interesting and I liked the "You may have heard of me" soliloquiy, but most of the two books thus far seemed to be taken up by a knock-off Hogwarts where I struggled in vain to find a likeable character. Should the third book ever be released, I'll read the Wikipedia summary.
maverick2076
YouBet said:

maverick2076 said:

I enjoyed it, probably a little more than you did, but it definitely wasn't life-changing. I liked that Kvothe was flawed, and cocky, and stupid sometimes, and impulsive. He had depth. But the 2nd book was definitely a drop off from the first. And the fact that there is no 3rd book is bull***** When the first book published, Rothfuss repeatedly said that all three books were already written, the sequels just needed editing, and they were going to be released in 12 month intervals. Now, he has been saying for 3 years that he can't write because Trump was elected and he is too upset. **** him. I'm out. There are too many other good writers doing their jobs and putting out quality entertainment to waste time on Pat Rothfuss.
YouBet
AG
maverick2076 said:

YouBet said:

maverick2076 said:

I enjoyed it, probably a little more than you did, but it definitely wasn't life-changing. I liked that Kvothe was flawed, and cocky, and stupid sometimes, and impulsive. He had depth. But the 2nd book was definitely a drop off from the first. And the fact that there is no 3rd book is bull***** When the first book published, Rothfuss repeatedly said that all three books were already written, the sequels just needed editing, and they were going to be released in 12 month intervals. Now, he has been saying for 3 years that he can't write because Trump was elected and he is too upset. **** him. I'm out. There are too many other good writers doing their jobs and putting out quality entertainment to waste time on Pat Rothfuss.
Goodness. That is embarrassing for him.
YouBet
AG
I'll throw in another recommendation for high fantasy: The Fionvar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Kind of a combo between Narnia and LOTR.
Ulrich
I've heard really good things about Guy Gavriel Kay and Steven Brust, but haven't gotten around to their books yet.

Carol Berg's Rai-Kirah series was really good. Haven't read anything else she has done.
maverick2076
Brust's Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grill is incredible.
mrsbeer05
AG
Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton is a really well written twist on the apocalypse novel. It's told from the point of view of a pet crow
Exsurge Domine
Malazan is literally one of the best book series I've ever read.

Also need to recommend the lesser known Memory. sorrow and thorn by Tad Williams, and the First Law by Abercrombie. Memory Sorrow and Thorn gave GRRM the idea to write Asoiaf
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.