Bored* games and other home entertainment

2,161 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieDub14
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*yes, it was intentional

Adding to the boredom and excessive screen time my kids are experiencing with school on extended break and social distancing, is recent wet weather.

I have actually been able to get them to read some, but I'm looking for additional inside entertainment ideas that don't involve screen time.

I have had "Axis and Allies" recommended to me before, but haven't ever played it.

I have two teen boys and I guess their mom and I would round out the foursome. Looking for recommendations.

Intrigued by Axis and Allies because they're both somewhat into history, but I've heard that gameplay takes a very long time. We do have a lot of time on our hands now, but I am a little concerned about keeping their interest if it goes on for more than 1-2 hours.

Also, just with Axis and Allies there are multiple different varieties including even a zombie version apparently, so I have no idea which would be better.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
javajaws
AG
There's a much more expansive and better set of boardgames out there than what's in the local stores. Check boardgamegeek.com and the thread in the nerdery.
Quad Dog
AG
Yeah them to play 42.
Urban Ag
AG
I tell them to gather up friends, select various tools from the garage, and play a round of Hunger Games.

I'll see one of you later!

bonfarr
AG
Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are fun strategy games.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Bunk Moreland
Teach em rummy. Fun, easy to learn, competitive and you can either play to infinity or create round/game score caps and do a tournament etc.

And you can enjoy a glass of brown while the family sits around the table together playing it.
JABQ04
AG
Give A&A a shot. Games can take awhile but it's usually fast paced enough to keep everyone entertained
DTP02
AG
JABQ04 said:

Give A&A a shot. Games can take awhile but it's usually fast paced enough to keep everyone entertained

Which version(s) do you like ? I see one called Axis and Allies, then ones that are 1941, 1942, and Zombies.
nai06
AG
Pandemic is a fun co-op board game. Sure it's a little on the nose, but it's fun and can really suck you in.
JABQ04
AG
I'm a fan of the classic 1942 version. But I have played and enjoyed the Europe version and Pacific versions. Not a fan of the D-Day one. Want to play 1941 and zombies. Once this Corona jazz blows over if you're in Houston area I'd be down to get a game in. Haven't played since 2012. My kids are too young
johnnyblaze36
AG
LCR, chess, and Cranium have always entertained me and the crew/family.
double aught
AG
Secret Hitler is lots of fun. But you probably need at least five or six people to really enjoy it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If you want a game that will last you until the next quarantine, then start a game of Risk with three other people.
double aught
AG
Also, Monopoly is a classic for a reason.
EastSideAg2002
The Campaign for North Africa
cp2011
AG
Champ Bailey said:

If you want a game that will last you until the next quarantine, then start a game of Risk with three other people.

This is exactly why my high school crowd took to Settlers so fast. We were spending entire weeks playing one game of Risk and lots of weekend nights up til 4
Dr.Rumack
double aught said:

Also, Monopoly is a classic for a reason.

Playing recently with our niece. Hilarious to actually play by the 'rules.'
Philo B 93
nai06 said:

Pandemic is a fun co-op board game. Sure it's a little on the nose, but it's fun and can really suck you in.

This has been our main game for the last year and a half, coincidentally. When I try to explain it to people it sounds ridiculously complicated, but my 13 year old kid picked it up quickly. Good game.
maverick2076
Scotland Yard
Last Night on Earth
Stive
AG
Not a board game but Phase 10 is fun especially if you have kids multiple ages. There's a tiny bit of strategy but not so much that an 8 year old can't play and win. The game can last a while, but is easily stopped after a few hands and can be picked back up the next day/night to continue.
JABQ04
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

I might need to look into this
W
AG
Stratego
The Debt
I say munchkin... a game is about 2 hours and it has replayability. Plus it is about forging alliances with the other players and strategically betraying them.

If they are superhero fans I suggest xmen munchkin over marvel, because xmen is max 4 players while marvel is a max of 6 players. (Also there are two expansion packs for marvel and 1 is out of print, I had to buy mine from Belgium because the basic game has 2 infinity stones and each pack has 2 more infinity stones.)

But there are different name brands for munchkin such as ninja turtles, rick and Morty, ducktales as well as themes like star munchkin (scifi genre), munchkin impossible (spies), the good the bad and the munchkin (western), even zombies and apocalypse sets. The original game is fantasy genre. All are great.

I would stay away from axis and allies because the economy aspect gets bogged down....if you're a first timer to A&A download a mod from the internet so you can get a hang of the game mechanics. (Spoiler alert, if Germany doesnt take Moscow in the first 3 rounds, allies always win.)

Another fun game, if they are into video games, is called Boss Monster. You are a video game boss and you have to build your dungeon to defeat heros. Yes this is a card game. This is less interactive (read as cut throat) compared to munchkin, but the problem with this game is the basic pack is very bland, you need expansions to really get the fun.
cp2011
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/campaign-north-africa

"Playing time with 10 players is listed at 1200 hours."
FightinTexasAg15
AG
My family did a group video session over zoom last night where we played code names and jackbox
Philo B 93
Here we are 8 months after this thread about family board games. How did everyone do?

I had the best of intentions, but we have yet to crack open a game. This is one of my COVID regrets.
YouBet
AG
Urban Ag said:

I tell them to gather up friends, select various tools from the garage, and play a round of Hunger Games.

I'll see one of you later!

Who survived?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
My girlfriend and I have played a lot of cards and picked up a 2-player game called Hive, which could best be described as chess without a board. I'd recommend that one.
Thanks and gig'em
CheeseSndwch
Carcassonne
LRHF
AG
bonfarr said:

Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are fun strategy games.

Settlers of Catan is a great game. Lots of strategy
AggieDub14
AG
Wife and I have been getting into board games during COVID. It's a really fun way to interact and actually spend time together.

We've gotten 6 new ones this year. At least 5 are on the top 100 list on board game geek. All very fun.

1. Concordia (BGG #18) - we play this one the most. Imagine Risk but instead of military dominance, you're going for economic dominance and influence. Lots of fun. Deck building element with a lot of resource management. Highly recommend. Takes a few rounds to figure it out but once you get it down it's pretty simple.

2. Terraforming Mars (BGG #4) - by far the most complicated on the list but plenty of fun. Wife doesn't like it as much. It's just a lot of mechanics. You draw cards and pay to play them in order to change Mars to make it habitable. The goal is to create oceans, make the temperature acceptable, and allow for enough oxygen. You play as a corporation and work with other corporations to achieve planetary goals but compete in who can earn the most points in achieving objectives. Fun game, but more complex.

3. Century: Golem Edition (BGG #201) - easy game that you can pick up fast and play quickly. There are 4 colors of gems and cards that allow you to trade gems for other gems. Once you get the right combination, you buy cards that give you points. It's all about building a path to obtain different colors you need then executing.

4. Azul (BGG #47)- you're a portuguese tile layer in a castle or something. The goal is to build patterns with the tiles available. Fun game and easy to pick up.

5. Pandemic (BGG #97) - a cooperative game where everyone wins or loses together. There are 4 diseases in different parts of the world. You travel around trying to cure them all. If you don't treat them as you go, there will be outbreaks that spread.

6. 7 wonders Duel (BGG #16)- a 2 player game where you fight for military or scientific dominance in your city against the other city. Choose cards to play that give your city resources or cultural and scientific value or military strength against your opponent. The game takes place in 3 rounds and certain moves give you bonus abilities. Very fun.
AggieDub14
AG
We also play a lot of Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride on xbox. I can't imagine the actual board games are any fun though as score keeping and piece management seem like they would be a nightmare.

Ticket to ride gets annoying on xbox though because you have to look away during your opponents turns so you don't see which cities they have.
GoAgs92
AG
7 wonders
Blokus
Apples to apples
GolfAg93
S
A good two-player game is Lost Cities.

Good mix of strategy and luck. My wife and I ordered it in March and still play it regularly.
Ornithopter
AG
How is Concordia in two player? I've only ever done it with three.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.