Star Trek: Picard - Can you watch this without having seen previous Star Trek shows?

3,817 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie_Journalist
ccaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my only exposure to Star Trek are the three recent movies with Chris Pine. I have't seen any of the various shows, including Discovery, nor any of the older movies.

With that said, I've seen lots of hype for Star Trek: Picard, which starts tomorrow. I'm curious if this show is going to be accessible for somebody like me who has no exposure to the older Star Trek material. I don't mind watching Discovery (I have no idea how closely related Discovery and Picard are), but I really don't want go back and watch numerous seasons of old Star Trek stuff.

Anyways for anybody who has keep with the development of Picard, is there any info on how necessary older content is? Does it seem like somebody new to this franchise could watch and enjoy this show? Thanks!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
You might enjoy it withou watching the old stuff, but you are going to go in blind on a lot of characters. There are ones from at least two different series.

Although you could probably just watch all the borg next generation episodes, which is probably 5-6 of them. And watch 2 of the older movies( first contact and nemisis) and get most everything you need.

Note, the Chris Pine movies would give you nothing as they are actually in an alternate timeline than Picard
amercer
AG
Other question, can you watch it without paying for cbs whatever? I really doubt I'd ever watch anything else on that
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
You could probably bit torrent it. There might be some hulu package deal though. My plan is to wait until all 10 episodes drop, sign up for a free week, binge it and drop. Repeat next year
amercer
AG
Might do that. I have to say, the preview got me way more pumped than I thought I would be for this
double aught
AG
Star Trek The Next Generation, which was Captain Picard's original series, was for the most part stand alone episodes. So you could watch a few here and there and not be lost. Like was mentioned, the Borg episodes are probably essential. They're some of the best of the series anyway. I'm sure you'll be able to find online a list of episodes to watch prior to the new series. Off the top of my head, some all time Picard episodes:

Measure of a Man
Best of Both Worlds
Family
The Drumhead
The Inner Light
Chain of Command
Tapestry
titan
S

Have heard some red flags, but can assure OP of one thing. You won't need to have watched the Discovery series of Trek to understand it. In fact, it might disorient. This starts up more with the Abrams Trek 2009 movie as a reference.
CoolaidWade
AG
amercer said:

Other question, can you watch it without paying for cbs whatever? I really doubt I'd ever watch anything else on that
It looks like were the only ones who won't be able to watch it on Amazon Prime. Unless it drops tomorrow.

From Wikipedia:

" Amazon Prime Video will stream the episodes within 24 hours of their U.S. release in over 200 other countries and territories around the world; this is different from Discovery, which is released internationally by Netflix."

I had somewhat settled into a netflix + 1 pattern and currently I'm paying for HBOnow. So def won't get CBS until all the episodes have dropped.
BenFiasco14
AG
double aught said:

Star Trek The Next Generation, which was Captain Picard's original series, was for the most part stand alone episodes. So you could watch a few here and there and not be lost. Like was mentioned, the Borg episodes are probably essential. They're some of the best of the series anyway. I'm sure you'll be able to find online a list of episodes to watch prior to the new series. Off the top of my head, some all time Picard episodes:

Measure of a Man
Best of Both Worlds
Family
The Drumhead
The Inner Light
Chain of Command
Tapestry

Some of the greatest tv ever right there. Although I wouldn't watch measure of a man first. Watch best of both worlds part I and II first which, I think, might be the two greatest episodes of tv in history
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
double aught
AG
You might be right. I ordered them roughly chronologically, which isn't that big a deal.
Tanya 93
double aught said:

Measure of a Man
Best of Both Worlds
Family
The Drumhead
The Inner Light
Chain of Command
Tapestry

My favorite is Lower Decks.

That ending kills me every single time
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Or watch these 6 minutes from Fanboys.

oragator
For me, the inner light is the single best hour produced across any of the star trek series. I could watch that a dozen more times and still be moved at the end.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Inner Light and Family are probably 2 of my favorite, with Yesterday's Enterprise and Clues close behind.

We may need another thread for this...
bobinator
AG
Sarduakar said:

Note, the Chris Pine movies would give you nothing as they are actually in an alternate timeline than Picard
Has how this works actually been confirmed?

Like... in Picard's timeline did Spock die trying to save Romulus?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
bobinator said:

Sarduakar said:

Has how this works actually been confirmed?

Like... in Picard's timeline did Spock die trying to save Romulus?
Yes, because some of the "background" for Picard is the aftermath of Spock's death is not saving Romulus in the "real" timeline., so Picard has to lead this armada to save the romulan people. THis is why they revere him in the new show. but none of that is actually in a show/movie. but it will be talked about.

The Chris Pine Movie is called the Kelvin Timeline and is more like a "separate universe"
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Ok so after reading this thread this is my suggestion for what to watch to understand Picard.

Encounter at Farpoint ( the pilot episode, the characters are introduced )
Q Who ( the Borg are introduced )
Best of Both Worlds Part 1,2 ( Borg interaction)
I, Borg ( this is the Hugh episode)
Star Trek: First Contact ( the Borg Movie)
Star Trek: Nemesis ( the Romulan Movie, last time we see picard/data)

Now if you want more Picard understanding with a bit more Data/Borg stuff

Measure of a Man ( Data/Picard interaction)
Family ( Needs to be watched right after Best of Both Worlds )
The Drumhead ( Picard )
The Inner Light ( Picard )
Chain of Command Part 1,2( Picard )
Tapestry ( Picard/Q )
All Good Things... Part 1,2 ( Final Episode, Picard/Q)

The above are great episodes but these next really aren't but may help

Datalore ( it introduces Lore)
Descent Part 1,2 ( Borg/Data/Lore interaction but isn't totally necessary)

bobinator
AG
Yeah, I knew basically everything from when Spock got sucked into the singularity was the Kelvin timeline, I just hadn't seen for sure how they were going to address Spock and Romulus in the original timeline.
bobinator
AG
As for the OP, I'd kill to be able to wipe all of The Next Generation from my memory and then be able to watch the whole series fresh. There's definitely some crazy (and bad) episodes, but man what a series and some absolutely iconic characters.
Quinn
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, I knew basically everything from when Spock got sucked into the singularity was the Kelvin timeline, I just hadn't seen for sure how they were going to address Spock and Romulus in the original timeline.
They may not directly address Spock but they will address the Armada, saving Romulus.
JD Shellnut
AG
I love TNG! Every time there is an episode playing on cable, I'll stop and watch. The first season is a little clunky, but after that the series is absolutely amazing in my opinion.
Jet1085T
AG
Other than the Best of Both Worlds Part I & II (man what a great cliff hanger) Yesterday's Enterprise was probably my favorite episode of the TNG.
double aught
AG

Quote:

Let's make sure history never forgets the name...Enterprise.

Jet1085T
AG
Picard is a badass
double aught
AG
Jet1085T said:

Other than the Best of Both Worlds Part I & II (man what a great cliff hanger) Yesterday's Enterprise was probably my favorite episode of the TNG.
Shooter McGavin cut down in his prime. Gone too soon.
AB2
AG
Thread derail in full effect...

I started watching TNG during season 4. I was 10-11. Actually got hooked watching some S2 reruns (Contagion was first ep I watched) and caught up as quick as I could for the early 90s.

I was reading the comments above on the iconic Picard episodes, and was shocked to see The Drumhead on here. I hated that episode when it came out and never watched it twice. Thought it was just stupid.

Given those comments I thought "maybe I missed something." Watched it on Netflix last night...and I definitely missed the point. I blame 11 year old me for being incapable of understanding the magnitude. What a peak Picard showing...though nothing will ever touch The Inner Light.
AB2
AG
double aught said:

Jet1085T said:

Shooter McGavin cut down in his prime. Gone too soon.

The shot of Picard working the Weapons station, through the fire, is one of my very favorite scenes in the whole thing.

"That'll be the day..."
dmart90
AG
I hate CBS for only making this available on their streaming service.
Jet1085T
AG
I hate that too...I don't know if I can hold out from watching until all 10 episodes drop.
double aught
AG
dmart90 said:

It would be cool if they actually aired it on their network. Just the idea seems crazy these days, I know.
Jet1085T
AG

Looks like CBS has put out the 1st episode for free.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I watched it free yesterday. If you want to know who Maddox is, the scientist they mention, watch Measure of a Man.
jm94
AG
double aught said:

dmart90 said:

It would be cool if they actually aired it on their network. Just the idea seems crazy these days, I know.

Not to mention this is the second time they've done it with this franchise.
JD Shellnut
AG
Just watched the first episode and it was great! Wish the rest could be watched like this episode.

For those who have watch this Easter egg video is interesting.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.