early 90s still dominates rock radio

7,251 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Every top 10 spun song is from 91-94 .

Flashdiaz
AG
that's because only olds listen to the radio.

get satellite radio man
Another Doug
AG
Its pretty easy to be in the top 10 of rock music, when you create a category that excludes all the good rock music.
amercer
AG
Rock doesn't really exist anymore. It's like making a list of best plays written in Latin and being surprised that that are all 1500 years old...
samurai_science
Flashdiaz said:

get satellite radio man
I prefer my USB flash drive that can hold 1000's of mp3s.
62strat
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Its pretty easy to be in the top 10 of rock music, when you create a category that excludes all the good rock music.
Tons of good music on mainstream rock radio. It's literally a combination of heritage rock and active rock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_Rock_(chart)

tom petty, aerosmith, metallica, foos, all the early 00s bands, most of which are still around.

IceAg08
AG
Thats the hourly play list for 94.5 in Houston. Good oldies station there
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Offspring
bearamedic99
AG
It's annoying to hear a station call itself classic rock and then play Nirvana, RHCP, and contemporaries.

Another peeve- How did Beastie Boys get so much airtime on rock radios? Too white for the hip-hop stations?
TXAG 05
AG
Flashdiaz said:

get satellite radio man

I have satellite radio in the car and it mostly stays on Lithium, so not really a difference there.
Mort Rainey
Because, as a general rule, rock music after 1995 sucks major ass
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bearamedic99 said:

It's annoying to hear a station call itself classic rock and then play Nirvana, RHCP, and contemporaries.
Hasn't sunk it that this music is 30 years old, huh?
Gigem314
AG
Mainstream rock lost its identity post-2000.

These days, modern bands have been pushed into smaller niche rock categories or thrown into pop or country because there was no place for them in the mainstream.
AggieChemist
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Because, as a general rule, rock music after 1991 sucks major ass

FIFY
Bunk Moreland
Flashdiaz said:

get satellite radio man

Have satellite and was so pumped when Man In the Box came on the Pearl Jam station as I was scanning the other day.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

bearamedic99 said:

Hasn't sunk it that this music is 30 years old, huh?

It's not classic rock. Classic Rock was an era.
WestAustinAg
AG
Honestly I think Rock n Roll is dead.

It's been co-opted by rap, techno pop, alternative etc.

It's crazy sad to me.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What's the cutoff? Do you include Guns N Roses? Bon Jovi?
62strat
AG
Gigem314 said:

These days, modern bands have been pushed into smaller niche rock categories or thrown into pop or country because there was no place for them in the mainstream.
yet many of the records of mainstream rock charting is from post 2000 bands. Three days grace with most #1s, disturbed with most consecutive #1, breaking Benjamin with longest charting song, etc.
Bunk Moreland
No way to Bon Jovi & GnR. Those are both firmly 80s rock bands. And 80s rock(another Era) had a lot of subsets under it.

I'd say probably if their first commercial success came before 1976 or so they can probably be lumped in as classic rock. But just my opinion.
PooDoo
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Another peeve- How did Beastie Boys get so much airtime on rock radios? Too white for the hip-hop stations?

Because of Sabotage.
Mort Rainey
bearamedic99 said:

It's annoying to hear a station call itself classic rock and then play Nirvana, RHCP, and contemporaries

Nirvana ended 26 years ago...in what world is that contemporary to you?
superunknown
AG
Gigem314 said:

Rock radio's biggest mistake in the last 15 years was letting alternative radio have the Black Keys. They went a little aggro and let crap like Five Finger death punch get pushed hard.
mazag08
AG
People who think rock is dead likely only listen to rock they hear on the radio.

Or they are fans of grunge, the most boring, simplistic, uninspired, and ****stain era of rock music.

If rock is dead, it's because it hasn't recovered from the downtuned power chords and cringeworthy vocals (Pearl Jame not included) from the grunge era.
redline248
AG
I admit that I don't know where to go for current rock music. Is Octane any good these days? I dropped satellite a few years ago.
Boo Weekley
mazag08 said:

People who think rock is dead likely only listen to rock they hear on the radio.

Or they are fans of grunge, the most boring, simplistic, uninspired, and ****stain era of rock music.

If rock is dead, it's because it hasn't recovered from the downtuned power chords and cringeworthy vocals (Pearl Jame not included) from the grunge era.

Do you count AIC as grunge? They were badass. Soundgarden too. And STP.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

No way to Bon Jovi & GnR. Those are both firmly 80s rock bands. And 80s rock(another Era) had a lot of subsets under it.

I'd say probably if their first commercial success came before 1976 or so they can probably be lumped in as classic rock. But just my opinion.
For me, I'd say it's 1990 or so. I don't mind hearing hair metal and other 80's rock lumped in with Zeppelin, Stones, and other classic rock.

I do think that Nirvana is teetering on that edge, but because they ended so long ago, I tend to think of them as an older band rather than a contemporary one, unlike say RHCP, who is still around, even though they started in the 80's.

There's a few bands that you could argue whether they should be in there like RHCP, Offspring, Green Day, etc. I'm sure it sounds sacrilegious to some, but these bands have been around for 30+ years, and they're basically to younger generations what 70's bands were to us. (Or people my age, anyway.)

My guess is you're probably in your 40's, and that's the difference.
62strat
AG
Mabel Choate said:

bearamedic99 said:

It's annoying to hear a station call itself classic rock and then play Nirvana, RHCP, and contemporaries

Nirvana ended 26 years ago...in what world is that contemporary to you?
I don't think you are understanding his use of the word contemporary.
double aught
AG
Flashdiaz said:

get satellite radio man
Did the free trial. I was surprised at how poor the sound quality was. Highly compressed. I'm not an audiophile, but I found it unlistenable.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

32. But musically probably going on 45
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Makes two of us.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Flashdiaz said:

get satellite radio man

Have satellite and was so pumped when Man In the Box came on the Pearl Jam station as I was scanning the other day.

You need to listen to the "Lithium" channel then. It's like the greatest rock hits from my A&M years. It's such a time machine for me.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

32. But musically probably going on 45

Lol. Just saw this after my last post. I actually am 45.
Bunk Moreland
A couple good bands that ended the era might be Boston & The Dire Straits.

Boston came out in 76. Don't Look Back in 78. Dire Straits was released in 78. Both bands were extremely successful in the 80's but they had that classic rock sound and familiarity. Though even Dire Straits are a tweener.

U2 probably represents the firm break and beginning of a new era in rock n roll. Different completely and they debuted in 1980.
Bunk Moreland
haha. And I mean it on the consequences of that too...I feel like an old man. I do not know most new pop/rock/hip hop music. It's the biggest disappointment I've had over the last 3-4 years is that I've fallen behind and now I don't feel like catching up. I can only stay caught up in certain genres.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.