*** THE OUTSIDER - Limited Series (HBO) ***

40,504 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really hoping this limited series, based on the 2018 Stephen King novel of the same name, which begins tonight on HBO, is thread worthy. Reviews seem to be pretty good overall, with a few negatives, but it sounds like Jason Bateman and Ben Mendelsohn at least bring the goods. Tonight's is a two-hour premiere, with each of the remaining eight episodes coming weekly going forward (with the finale airing March 8th). I'm not expecting True Detective, but it certainly gives off that vibe, only with a supernatural twist, which is more than enough to pique my interest...

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
really looking forward to this. hope that's not misplaced.
AR_Ag95
AG
Looks very promising..... love that Bateman is in it!
astros4545
AG
In
oragator
The first scene and how it was shot gives me hope. The Florida Georgia reference saddened me though lol.
k20dub
The Catfish
AG
Ep 1 was really good. I'm in on this.
AR_Ag95
AG
Outstanding first episode!!!!
TCTTS
AG
First episode was incredible. What a great premise.

Also, for those who might have missed it, the second ep went up an hour after the first. Watching shortly...
TXAG 05
AG
The book was really good, so hoping they do it justice.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, just FYI, this thread is spoilers/discussion for the SHOW ONLY. Meaning we can freely discuss whatever's aired, but spoilers from the book are off limits.
LC Wannabe
S
Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Definitely in on this one.
MBAR
AG
The mood is creepy and dark AF and I love it. I'd heard the first two episodes were dark but holy **** I still wasn't prepared.
mazzag
MW03
AG
Excellent first episode. Also, Jason Bateman has officially entered "must watch" territory. The second I hear he's involved, I'm absolutely in.

That being said, I'm going to identify myself as a book reader and say I will be following this thread but not participating. I am very much looking forward to reading all your thoughts though.
astros4545
AG
Loved it

True Detective vibes, season 1
InternetFan02
AG
This is prestige tv.

All the true detective vibes with a horror spin. Wow
unmade bed
Also read the book. Remember thinking it would be a cool movie but hard to fit it all in to 3 hours. Mini-Series is perfect format. I'm in, but will also refrain from commenting. Very interested to see how they tell the rest of the story.

Not a huge fan of Ben Mendelsohn as Frank, but hopefully he grows on me.
TCTTS
AG
I have to admit, offing Bateman toward the beginning of the second episode really took the wind out of the sails for me. Sanctimonious, something-to-prove Bateman is always so good, and I was really looking forward to at least another couple episodes of him squaring off with law enforcement, navigating his prison situation, attempting to prove his innocence, coming to grips with the fact that he somehow has a doppelganger, etc. That's the show I was really hoping for, and frankly, I'm disappointed we're not getting it.

That said, two things...

1) By the end of the second episode, I think I've come to grips with what the show looks to be instead, and I'm definitely still intrigued, just not quite as excited. The introduction of the black, female P.I. next episode looks interesting, to the point where she feels a little like Mulder to Mendelsohn's Scully. In fact, I'm getting an X-Files vibe all around, as the creepy, hooded, shape-shifter (or whatever) dude feels like a character ripped straight from an episode of that show. In that sense, True Detective meets The X-Files is more than okay with me.

2) On IMDb, at least (which, admittedly, isn't gospel), Bateman *is* listed as starring in all ten episodes, where as everyone but the main players are listed as appearing in various, smaller episode counts. So who knows. Maybe there are flashbacks spliced throughout, or maybe doppelganger Bateman comes back into the picture. Neither are the same as something-to-prove Bateman, but whatever. The two trailers, however, don't feature a single shot of Bateman that we didn't see in his first episode or the beginning of the second, so I don't know what to think at this point.

Either way, I'm still in, and at least glad this seems to be something worth watching/discussing over the next eight weeks.
TCTTS
AG
Oh and btw, the detective guy who was hunting and started the fight in the strip club - played by Marc Menchaca - is the bearded, secretly gay uncle dude from Ozark. More importantly, though, Menchaca is also an Aggie.
goadius6
AG
WES2006AG
AG
Really liked the 2 hour premier. This isn't a genre I usually enjoy but I am in to see where this is going.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Definitely getting some True Detective and X-Files vibes. As soon as the contradicting evidence came out on the show, I knew Bateman's stint in this would be short-lived and I actually like that. I didn't need another Bateman role of being calm under intense circumstances since we've got Season 3 of The Ozarks dropping soon. I do really wish we could binge the whole season if for no other reason than to avoid spoilers from book readers. Really hope we don't run into predictions disguised as book readers' spoilers in this thread.
NC2001
AG
Watched this last night with my wife (who read the book), and we both loved it. Watching her reactions while watching the show was rather amusing. I knew something big was coming up just from the look on her face. I'm definitely adding this to the DVR.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I don't know why, but the first two episodes have creeped me out more than anything in recent memory.

Something really creeps me out about evil lurking and staring at you in plain sight.
k20dub
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

I don't know why, but the first two episodes have creeped me out more than anything in recent memory.

Something really creeps me out about evil lurking and staring at you in plain sight.
My wife was scared to take the dog out after we watched the first two episodes last night.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Especially since the mysterious figure looks like Beaker from the Muppet's evil special needs brother.
Prophet00
AG
Loved the first two episodes, definitely felt like a Stephen King story. My wife is reading the book, and is just about in line with where the episodes ended last night. I think she's going to hold off on continuing the story and follow along with the show.

My initial thought after watching the trailer was some kind of time travel, past vs. present Bateman, but I'm guessing it is some kind of supernatural doppelgnger demon? Is that the general consensus? So many questions.

Why him? Why would this "thing" go through all the trouble to center on him and go from Dayton back to GA to kill/feed on a kid? Wondering if it has to do with his Dad? They said he had violent bouts of dementia, maybe he was possessed by this thing until his son came and transferred it? No idea, but I'm really interested to see where this goes.

I guess it kind of fits King's MO with evil beings like Pennywise, Tak, Langoliers, etc. Does this story fit into any larger King Universe?
TXAG 05
AG
Prophet00 said:

Why him? Why would this "thing" go through all the trouble to center on him and go from Dayton back to GA to kill/feed on a kid? Wondering if it has

I guess it kind of fits King's MO with evil beings like Pennywise, Tak, Langoliers, etc. Does this story fit into any larger King Universe?

It's in the Mr Mercedes universe
TCTTS
AG
Going into this, I was definitely thinking time travel as well. King certainly went the creepier route.
Geriatric Punk
AG
k20dub said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

My wife was scared to take the dog out after we watched the first two episodes last night.
Ha. I love watching my wife latch all the chains on all the doors and make sure all the Ring cameras are plugged in after watching something eerie.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
MBAR
AG
Prophet00 said:

Loved the first two episodes, definitely felt like a Stephen King story. My wife is reading the book, and is just about in line with where the episodes ended last night. I think she's going to hold off on continuing the story and follow along with the show.

My initial thought after watching the trailer was some kind of time travel, past vs. present Bateman, but I'm guessing it is some kind of supernatural doppelgnger demon? Is that the general consensus? So many questions.

Why him? Why would this "thing" go through all the trouble to center on him and go from Dayton back to GA to kill/feed on a kid? Wondering if it has to do with his Dad? They said he had violent bouts of dementia, maybe he was possessed by this thing until his son came and transferred it? No idea, but I'm really interested to see where this goes.

My theory is that the thing wanted him out of the way for the kids.
mazzag
AG
None of this, after the child was found, would have happened if the detective would've handled the arrest better. The community was split, the mourning family, devastated. Now a community in ruins. Is that the goal? It can't just be about one mans life.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Loved the first 2 episodes. But I can see the potential for it to go downhill quickly. But regardless, I'm in.
BowSowy
AG
TCTTS said:

Oh and btw, the detective guy who was hunting and started the fight in the strip club - played by Marc Menchaca - is the bearded, secretly gay uncle dude from Ozark. More importantly, though, Menchaca is also an Aggie.
Wait, the detective started the fight? I thought it was the formerly sober strip club bouncer?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.