*****Knives Out*****

19,823 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, I know this movie has been brought up before on here, but maybe only in the trailer thread, because I swear I searched and nothing popped up.

Anyway, just got out of an advance screening and definitely give it a thumbs up.

Its not winning any awards, but its not that kind of a movie. It's fun and clever and exactly what you want out of a light-hearted murder mystery. More importantly, its the exact kind of movie Rian Johnson should be making. Whomever put him in charge of a blockbuster popcorn flick like Star Wars should be fired. The guy clearly has talent and obviously a niche that works for him. Star Wars it is not, but THIS type of movie, YES.

Won't give away too much plot wise, because the point of the movie is the twists and second guessing about who is responsible for Christopher Plummer's death. Don't want to spoil that.

So I'll just say all the performances were great. The movie is a full two hours but I never felt like it dragged and never got bored with it. I still have no idea how Daniel Craig pulled off that accent flawlessly, IMO. Not a must see in the theaters, but then again as a busy father of a 10 year old boy pretty much the only movies I see in theaters these days are action popcorn flicks. So it was nice to see a movie like this on the big screen. Plus, I do want movies like this to do well in theaters so they keep getting made.

Unfortunately, there is a minor plotline that audiences 10 years ago would have taken exactly for what it is....a humorous take on a modern political topic utilized as a plot device. But in today's climate, I can almost guarantee it will eventually derail this thread like so many others on this board have been over the past few years.

Anyway, if the trailer interested you, you should definitely like the movie.
bagger05
AG
This movie was badass. Go see it. Most fun I've had at the movies in a while.
TCTTS
AG
How has everyone in this thread already seen it???

Either way, great to hear. Seeing it at some point next week with the family for sure.
TCTTS
AG
I like the Redstone scenario.

My local AMC depresses me, so I try to avoid going there.
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS said:

How has everyone in this thread already seen it???
Lionsgate did free advance screenings. I had passes for Weds night in Houston but didn't make it.

*wasn't at real hip theater or anything, so i'm guessing they did a lot of them.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I just happened to stumble upon it. I legit thought the movie came out last night so I looked it up at the Xscape theater near me. They only had one showing, which I soon discovered was an advanced showing. But it was odd that there was no advertising for it....no signs posted for it and nothing when I was there a few weeks ago. Theater was still between 1/3 and 1/2 full.
bagger05
AG
Saw it at the Angelika in Dallas. Regular AMC also was doing showings.
Redstone
AG
There were advanced screenings.

True cinema fans would have known about this - even if their schedules would have precluded attendance.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Saw it tonight and can only echo what OP and others have said. One of the most fun 2 hours at the movies I've had this year.

For all those that complain about Hollywood only doing remakes and not pumping out originals, you best go see this one. It's an homage for sure, but great original take on the whodunnit. Two thumbs up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. My one major complaint:

They gave the game away waaay too early. Obviously they left some holes in what went down, but even still, to know pretty much 95% of the truth halfway through the movie was pretty unexpected. I was enjoying it more when I was trying to figure out who did it, rather than contextualizing the medication mix-up.

But that said, an absolutely stellar cast. Everyone across the board was great, but I think Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Michael Shannon were the standouts for me.

Definitely a fun watch. Had a pretty reactive audience in my theater, which was cool. There were audible cheers when they turned the tables on Ransom at the end.
Saxsoon
AG
Such an amazing film. Chris Evans playing an ******* was wonderful. Ana de armas was so charming. Daniel Crig literally was the personification of my favorite detective series. I took was shocked about a major twist being revealed halfway through which made the resulting mystery even more awesome to see unfold.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Complete Idiot
Has something happened to Fast Fred? I remember reading his posts back in the day.
BEaggie08
AG
Yes, Fred passed last year or early this year.
Complete Idiot
BEaggie08 said:

Yes, Fred passed last year or early this year.

It was early 2017, I found the thread. Thanks for sharing, he was a prolific reviewer.
bbattbq01
AG
Just saw it with the wife, very much enjoyed it. Good change of pace from all the action movies and Disney flicks.

Complete Idiot
Also saw it tonight, really enjoyed it. It was just what I was in the mood for and it delivered.

It also stars the most beautiful woman on the planet.
spanky
AG
Enjoyed it, but could have been better. Not quite on par with say Hot Fuzz. Wife is total whodunit fan and was just ok to her as well.
Complete Idiot
Hot Fuzz is a comedy focused parody of buddy cop action films, not in same category
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I too found that an odd comparison.
astros4545
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I've been thinking this since I saw her in War Dogs

They had to do a lot of work to make her look as plain as possible, and they still failed
spanky
AG
So you guys don't see Hot Fuzz as a mystery at all? I certainly do. I would probably use that word in the description over parody or action, but what do I know. Anywho, Hot Fuzz is definitely a better comedy. I guess that is where Knives Out fell flat for me...not quite as funny as I had hoped. I still enjoyed it though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hot Fuzz is definitely better. I love that movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
spanky said:

So you guys don't see Hot Fuzz as a mystery at all? I certainly do. I would probably use that word in the description over parody or action, but what do I know. Anywho, Hot Fuzz is definitely a better comedy. I guess that is where Knives Out fell flat for me...not quite as funny as I had hoped. I still enjoyed it though.

I label Hot Fuzz as a parody comedy, and Knives Out as a fun whodunit. Not calling you crazy for the comparison, but I just don't see it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Entire family saw it today - all 11 of us ages 21 to 80 enjoyed it immensely. We talked about all the quirks and subtle little clues and performances for over an hour after during the car ride and dinner. Really well done.

The whodunnit though was quite obvious I thought - I turned to my daughter 45 mins or so in and said I knew who it was and texted it to myself as proof with a timestamp later (my screen brightness was way down so not distracting). That said there were still little surprises and unknowns but the main perpetrator was quite obvious - although the fact that he wasn't the "killer" was a unique twist but i also surmised early on the old man maybe did really kill himself.

The one legitimate clue was the dogs reaction to him - and thus you knew he came back for a reason late at night and so it had to be him really.... but the dead giveaway was really a sometimes common plot telling mistake which is if an actor of the level of Chris Evans is in a movie and mostly absent for the first 45+ minutes he's the criminal.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
astros4545 said:

Complete Idiot said:

I've been thinking this since I saw her in War Dogs

They had to do a lot of work to make her look as plain as possible, and they still failed

Well I'm guessing she won't be downplayed in the next Bond film with Daniel Craig where she is the next "Bond girl".
TCTTS
AG
That's so funny, I saw with a group of 11 family members as well, roughly 25 to 90, and everyone felt the same way. We all loved it and talked about it for a while after.
TCTTS
AG
She also just wrapped a big Marylin Monroe biopic set for next year in which she plays Monroe. Seemingly an odd choice, but knowing that going in, with a blonde wig and American accent, I could totally picture it.
Sex Panther
AG
Really dug it. And the doughnut speech is one of my favorite things in film this year.

Also, I'm legit angered now that Batman went with Zoe freaking Kravitz over Ana De Armas for Catwoman. God what an awful decision.
dmart90
AG
Saw it Friday. Highly entertaining ;it was well done. The whole cast was solid. Really enjoyed Daniel Craig's character.
Not a Bot
AG
Loved it.

Wasn't sure about the tone for a while. When I determined the movie wasn't taking itself seriously I got over Daniel Craig's accent. I enjoyed his performance more and more as the film went on.

The toradol/morphine mix-up was an interesting angle, although I'm struggling not to be 'that guy' and point out the oddly high toradol dosage (she was overdosing him even when the vials weren't tampered with).

Anyway, loved the movie.
Topher17
AG
Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. It was one of the more fun movies I've seen this year.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.