How have you been inspired by a movie?

3,843 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MarkItZero
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Not knocking your buddies, but could you imagine a boot camp instructor in the 80's finding out you joined because of a Tom Cruise movie?

We are missing a key piece of info from OP..
Did they join they Navy because of the F14s or because of the Volleyball scene?
91_Aggie
AG
Raptor said:

Jurassic Park - I earned my nickname/user name from this movie. I played sports like a raptor, made love like a raptor, and ate like a raptor. The name stuck after that.

You do not get to give yourself a nickname.
I rule that henceforth you shall be known as Coco.

Staff-> Make this happen!!!!
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Saw Brannigan at the old theatre next Skaggs back in '75 or '76. John Wayne was drinking boilermakers so I was inspired to do the same at the bar next door. Got totally wasted and was inspired to pick a fight with 3 football players I encountered while staggering back to Crocker. I was uninspired after that incident.
Raptor
AG
91_Aggie said:

Raptor said:

Jurassic Park - I earned my nickname/user name from this movie. I played sports like a raptor, made love like a raptor, and ate like a raptor. The name stuck after that.

I didn't give myself the nickname. It was bestowed upon me by my all time favorite HS coach. You wouldn't understand. You could never understand.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

nai06
AG
I'll probably catch hell for this but whatever.

Here Comes the Boom starring Kevin James.

I had been laid off from my job in insurance and after nearly 5 months of looking for work I took the first job I was offered, general manager of a car wash. It was pretty awful. I was working about 70 hours and 7 days a week. No benefits, no time off, and all for $30K a year. But it helped pay the bills and kept us from losing our house.One night I sat down and watched the movie and really loved it. I thought it would be cool to be able to help students in a way that I never received when I was younger. So I started working on my teaching certification at night. 7 years later I'm still a teacher (and wrestling coach) and I love it. I feel like I have the best job in the world. I won't say Here Comes the Boom is the only reason I'm a teacher today but it certainly put the bug in my head.
91_Aggie
AG
Raptor said:

91_Aggie said:

Raptor said:

I didn't give myself the nickname. It was bestowed upon me by my all time favorite HS coach. You wouldn't understand. You could never understand.

Calm down, Coco
fig96
AG
No shame at all, that's awesome.
ApachePilot
AG
Wrestling is the best sport ever. You coaching in Texas?
ApachePilot
AG
91_Aggie said:

Raptor said:

91_Aggie said:

Raptor said:

Calm down, Coco

LisaMarie
AG
Same!
nai06
AG
ApachePilot said:

Yep! Been pretty cool to see the sport develop since I wrestled in highschool

Edit: wrong emoji face. Should have been a thumbs up
ApachePilot
AG
nai06 said:

ApachePilot said:

Grew up in Oregon and started wrestling in 4th grade. It's a huge sport up there. Came to Texas in '92, stationed at Ft Hood. Went to volunteer at a local school and nobody had wrestling!? WTF. Glad to see it expand. I was proud to be on the first teams at A&M in the NCWA.
nai06
AG
ApachePilot said:

nai06 said:

ApachePilot said:

Grew up in Oregon and started wrestling in 4th grade. It's a huge sport up there. Came to Texas in '92, stationed at Ft Hood. Went to volunteer at a local school and nobody had wrestling!? WTF. Glad to see it expand. I was proud to be on the first teams at A&M in the NCWA.
Mid 90s is when it really started to develop. Its still not the same level as elsewhere but its pretty solid. There really aren't any easy paths to the state tournament anymore.
jokershady
AG
That's pretty damn awesome man!
Liquid Wrench
YouBet said:

I just remembered one. Fandango inspired a group of us to do a pilgrimage out to Big Bend to the spot where they buried Dom.

Hit Boquilas while we were there (pre 9/11).
I'm planning a trip right now and see someone has tagged the Fandango Dom rock on Google maps.
YouBet
AG
Body By Fisher said:

YouBet said:

I just remembered one. Fandango inspired a group of us to do a pilgrimage out to Big Bend to the spot where they buried Dom.

Hit Boquilas while we were there (pre 9/11).
I'm planning a trip right now and see someone has tagged the Fandango Dom rock on Google maps.

Probably someone in our group. Pilgrimage was made for 3-4 years before it died off. I did it once.
Liquid Wrench
You should find it on google maps and look at the user pictures posted. Might be some of your friends.
YouBet
AG
Body By Fisher said:

You should find it on google maps and look at the user pictures posted. Might be some of your friends.

Checked it out. My friends aren't on there.
The Debt
I watched the Joker and, I too, wanted to shoot Robert DeNiro in the face.
WestAustinAg
AG
Joe versus the Volcano - it inspired me to get a better job.
Hey Nav
AG

Kingpin. The clothes, the music, the women in tight jeans. the adoration, the food, the entire lifestyle. It was at that moment I knew I wanted to be a bowling professional.
Salt of the water
AG
The Big Blue inspired me to try freediving. I spent a ton of time in the pool the summer I saw it and got my breath hold up to 3 minutes. Fast forward a couple years to being a student at A&M and I found out we had a human powered submarine team. Joining that got me scuba certified, which ended up helping me land a student worker job in a lab as a diver. Most of my closest friends almost 10 years later come from one or both of sub team or the lab. Thanks obscure Luc Besson movie that is older than me!

MarkItZero
AG

Vision Quest with Matthew Modine.

I was feeling chunky after high school and went on a 600 calorie per day diet and lost 30 pounds in 30 days. I know not the healthiest way to do it, but damn I looked good that summer.

Damn, Lunatic Fringe still gets me fired up!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.