*** HUSTLERS ***

3,903 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With a ton of buzz coming out of the festival circuit the past couple of weeks, an 87% score on Rotten Tomatoes, and reports of theaters doubling screens last minute to meet demand this weekend, I decided to check this out for myself tonight, and I have to say... it lives up to the hype. The trailer makes it look fairly generic, and I'm not saying the movie itself is the greatest thing ever, but it's absolutely a cut above what you might expect, and makes for a great date movie. Both men and women certainly get what they want out of this thing. Not to mention, it's weirdly somewhat satisfying to see Jennifer Lopez be a bonafide movie star again, the story is extremely well told (if not somewhat familiar/predictable at times), and the soundtrack is great too. Before Oscar season truly kicks into gear, and it's drama after drama after drama, if you're looking for something fun to see this weekend (though maybe a bit more dramatic than you might expect), this is it...

Know Your Enemy
AG
I'll ask the question for every dude on this board. Does J-Lo get naked? Just how much nudity is in this flick?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Poor MBAR.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't care what the positive reviews say, there is no way I'd ever see this movie
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The review I read yesterday was probably the most negative review I have ever read for a movie. He gave it a D-.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

The review I read yesterday was probably the most negative review I have ever read for a movie. He gave it a D-.

I'd give J-Lo my D- any day of the week.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Poor MBAR.

Ha, my apologies to MBAR. I check for already-existed threads 95% of the time, but it was late and I figured there was no way TexAgs already had a reaction up for what I assume everyone here assumes is a chick flick. Of course, this is the one time it actually happens.
TCTTS
AG
Lili Reinhart.
TCTTS
AG
Junkhead said:

I'll ask the question for every dude on this board. Does J-Lo get naked? Just how much nudity is in this flick?

To echo ATM1876 - no - but she does have a dance number where she might as well be. For a 50-year-old (!!!), she absolutely brings it. In fact, body/moves-wise, she rivals, if not surpasses, many of the other women half her age in this thing. It's kind of insane. None of the main actresses get naked, though. Only the background players. But it's such a well done movie that it doesn't really matter.
TCTTS
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Well that person is either a massive prude or an idiot. I can totally understand not being into the subject matter, but it's an objectively well made, entertaining movie.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. This is going to sound more hyperbolic than I mean it to be, but there's an iconic quality to her performance that's just straight up exhilarating. I was never some big J-Lo fan or anything, but she's an absolute movie star in this, aided by a kind of where-has-she-been/comeback quality. That shot of her smoking on the roof in the fur coat toward the beginning is one of the most f*ck-you-I'm-back-and-better-than-ever shots I've ever seen. It's like the female equivalent of Pitt taking his shirt off on the roof in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. You can't help but think, "Holy sh*t, they've still got it" in a way that informs and even raises the performance throughout the movie.
Sex Panther
AG
ATM1876 said:

What kind of Sex Panther isn't interested in a movie full of hot strippers with an affinity for fur and leopard print?

I actually had the same thought when I saw the trailer, but there's a lot more to this one than the preview implies. It's not going to make any top ten lists, but it's a fun movie with more depth than I was expecting that's really well done.

• The subject matter doesn't appeal to me in any form or fashion. Strippers outsmarting Wall St guys and giving them their deserved comeuppance... eyeroll. And since Lili Reinhart doesn't get naked, I really don't care
  • I'm pretty indifferent to J-Lo. Does she look amazing for 50? Absolutely... But a woman of that age stripping (even in an acting role) just comes off sad to me
  • I'm not a fan of the main Asian actress after her Twitter tirade about her show Fresh Off The Boat getting picked up for a renewed season this year. One of the most off-putting, selfish, immature, Hollywood tantrums I've ever seen. There are hundreds of people involved with tv shows. Sorry you wanted them all to become unemployed because you think you're a movie star now
  • I absolutely refuse to support anything that involves Cardi B
  • I'm probably a misogynist

Reviews are clearly good, and apparently it actually is a good movie, but its not for me
TCTTS
AG

• The Wall Street comeuppance angle is handled better than you might think. It's not preachy and the movie never lets these women off the hook for doing what they did either. Yes, it's quite often treated as fun and games, but there's also a constant moral questioning of the womens' actions.
  • The 50-year-old stripper angle doesn't come off as sad at all. She plays younger in the movie, for one, but there's an empowering angle to it that's handled really well. And I don't mean that in some bullsh*t feminist way, either. As I said earlier, the whole time you're just like, "How they hell does she look this good at this age???"
  • In 100% agreement about Constance Wu, the Asian actress. That tirade was one of the most off-putting things ever, I've disliked her ever since, and IMO, she's the weak link in this movie if there is one (unfortunately, she's also the lead). Admittedly, it was something I had to get past to enjoy the movie, but after 15 minutes or so I was able to forget about it and just roll with her character.
  • As a person, Cardi B sucks even worse, but she's only it for the first 20 minutes or so, and has maybe three scenes at that.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to see it or anything - I totally get it - I just feel the need to dispel it as some big feminist propaganda thing that's this one-sided takedown of Wall Street, featuring a sad, 50-year-old stripper at its heart (not that you're pegging it as that, necessarily). Yes, it is all of those things on the surface, but it does an extremely good job of showing the negatives as well. At times, it reminded me a lot of a female version of The Wolf of Wall Street in that it depicts all of the lewd craziness, but never endorses it, if that makes sense. Sure, there's plenty of "girl power"-esque proclamations, but not without a purposeful tinge of bullish*t just below the surface.
Sex Panther
AG
You forgot one of my bullet points...

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So I had no intention of seeing this until the really good reviews started coming in. Due to that, I checked it out today.

I thought it was... fine. Maybe a victim of its own success a bit. I let the crazy good reviews give me too high of expectations, I guess.

It certainly wasn't bad, it just didn't feel that fresh or new. To me, it felt like a combination between Molly's Game and Magic Mike, and yet never reaching the heights of those movies. (Both of which I think are legitimately great.)

It just didn't feel like it brought anything new to the table, I guess? And I thought it really started dragging in the second act. I didn't feel like we needed to keep seeing them hustle guys forever. It felt like that went on too long.

Still, certainly not a bad movie, and JLo was really good. And some legitimately heartfelt moments.

My biggest gripe for last. (Spoilers)

The end was utterly anticlimactic. There were almost zero consequences for any of the main characters. Nobody did any hard time. Granted, you can't blame the movie, they just told the story. But still, it annoyed me that there was basically no jail time, except "weekend" jail time, which I didn't even know existed.
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Poor MBAR.
Haha, I don't care. I just wanted to talk about a great film! This accomplishes that!
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So I had no intention of seeing this until the really good reviews started coming in. Due to that, I checked it out today.

I thought it was... fine. Maybe a victim of its own success a bit. I let the crazy good reviews give me too high of expectations, I guess.

It certainly wasn't bad, it just didn't feel that fresh or new. To me, it felt like a combination between Molly's Game and Magic Mike, and yet never reaching the heights of those movies. (Both of which I think are legitimately great.)

It just didn't feel like it brought anything new to the table, I guess? And I thought it really started dragging in the second act. I didn't feel like we needed to keep seeing them hustle guys forever. It felt like that went on too long.

Still, certainly not a bad movie, and JLo was really good. And some legitimately heartfelt moments.

My biggest gripe for last. (Spoilers)

The end was utterly anticlimactic. There were almost zero consequences for any of the main characters. Nobody did any hard time. Granted, you can't blame the movie, they just told the story. But still, it annoyed me that there was basically no jail time, except "weekend" jail time, which I didn't even know existed.

I really can't agree that it doesn't bring anything new. Name me a better film about female friendship.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bridesmaids
Booksmart
MBAR
AG
Bridesmaids bus not as good. Booksmart definitely is but is also very different and not sure you can compare them as its way more of an adolescent story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forgot to mention.. What the hell was Buzz doing in this movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is legitimately impressive, must admit.

Complete Idiot
smc05
This movie was my favorite movie of the year so far! I thought it was so fun.
Carlo4
AG
TCTTS said:

In 100% agreement about Constance Wu, the Asian actress. That tirade was one of the most off-putting things ever, I've disliked her ever since, and IMO, she's the weak link in this movie if there is one (unfortunately, she's also the lead

So I had to look it up after what you and Mr Panther said....

Holy cow she forced her way to top billing, which J Lo relinquished without a second thought (that's pretty cool of her). She was impossible to work with on set. She let her pet rabbit poop itself into ruining the home she rented on set. Many believe she thinks everyone is below her.

Her and Antonio Brown should start a family. Also ruins Crazy Rich Asians for me.
wangus12
AG
TC, where do I audition to be an extra in a club with J-Lo stripping?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess since people are airing their grievances regarding Wu, here's an interesting watch for JLo.

I always thought she had minimal vocal talent, especially compared to Selena. (I always compared her vocals to Selena, for obvious reasons.)

But I never thought she was THIS much of a fraud. She straight up does not sing in a bunch of her songs.

Kind of shocked it's at that level.
PatAg
AG
PDEMDHC said:

TCTTS said:

In 100% agreement about Constance Wu, the Asian actress. That tirade was one of the most off-putting things ever, I've disliked her ever since, and IMO, she's the weak link in this movie if there is one (unfortunately, she's also the lead

So I had to look it up after what you and Mr Panther said....

Holy cow she forced her way to top billing, which J Lo relinquished without a second thought (that's pretty cool of her). She was impossible to work with on set. She let her pet rabbit poop itself into ruining the home she rented on set. Many believe she thinks everyone is below her.

Her and Antonio Brown should start a family. Also ruins Crazy Rich Asians for me.
Need to learn to separate movies from how the actors behave in real life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.