Apple TV Plus

1,661 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by claym711
Ferg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Streaming service debuts Nov 1, $4.99 per month. Not many shows at first, but a few look promising, like See and Morning Show.

https://www.cnet.com/news/5-apple-plus-tv-shows-to-be-excited-about/?utm_source=reddit.com

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No chance this succeeds.
Ferg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No chance this succeeds.
The 5 year projections I heard was about 13M subscribers world wide vs 80M plus for Disney plus which in the case of Disney might be conservative.
My Dad Earl
AG
I have heard nobody, online or in person, say they are looking forward to Apple TV plus. It doesn't make sense to me why they would venture into the movie & television production. We already have enough services out there doing this same thing. Stick to gadgets.
The Collective
AG
I really don't get this one either.
TCTTS
AG
iPhone sales have plateaued, same as a lot of their other hardware. But they have to show shareholders and the market that they're still growing. Hence things like getting into the streaming game, the new Apple credit card, whatever new AR device they have coming next year, along with the rumored Apple car they're developing, etc. In agreement that Apple TV+ seems incredibly half-assed, and there's not a single show in their initial offering that I'm excited about, but they've got to keep up with the Joneses.
My Dad Earl
AG
TCTTS said:

iPhone sales have plateaued, same as a lot of their other hardware. But they have to show shareholders and the market that they're still growing. Hence things like getting into the steaming game, the new Apple credit card, whatever new AR device they have coming next year, along with the rumored Apple car they're developing, etc. In agreement that Apple TV+ seems incredibly half-assed, and there's not a single show in their initial offering that I'm excited about, but they've got to keep up with the Joneses.
Understandable. However, I feel like Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave right now. Apple used to come out with innovative products to keep ahead of everyone (iMac, iTunes, iPhone, iPad). Now they merely copy other products to keep up with the Joneses.
CoolaidWade
AG
Youtube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Apple News+, and The Athletic. I'm pretty much tapped out there as far as my monthly subscriptions are concerned.

Unless it's sometime in the Football offseason when we drop YoutubeTV.
Sex Panther
AG
That See show starring Aquabrah looks ****ing awful
TCTTS
AG
I have a hard time watching blind people in movies/TV (no pun intended). The thought of being blind depresses the hell out of me, and I just dislike watching people *act* blind as well. So I cannot fathom watching an entire series full of blind people, and a post-apocolyptic one at that. The conceit also just doesn't make any damn sense. A world consisting solely of blind people is a world full of soon-to-be-dead people. There are things blind people do in this trailer that defy logic. One blind guy even jumps off a rocky ledge and lands perfectly natural on the ground. Honestly, this show looks like pure torture to me.
rynning
AG
It will be interesting to see if Apple is really serious about entering the content business with the Apple TV+ service or be satisfied as a niche player. As a recent article pointed out, they have enough cash to finance Avengers Endgame 590 times over. They are definitely late to the game, but where could they be in 10 years?
Ferg
Well part of their strategy is to give a free year of Apple TV Plus to people who buy their hardware(phones, ipads, etc). They will be adding new shows monthly, and I guess their thought is they will be at critical mass by the time the free year ends.
Redstone
AG
Released just a few minutes ago from a 3 day involuntary breather. I'm very sorry I haven't been around.

My take is that streaming fatigue is here. We have Netflix (early adopter), Prime (early adopter), and Hulu (Plus). (With a smart TV.) Therefore, there really is not the space for an additional service given our time constraints.
claym711
AG
Overall Apple's show lineup sounds fairly awful. The alternate future show where the space race never ended might be good. Other than that....nothing sounds good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.