It: Chapter 2

7,523 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chase McGuire
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was absolutely fantastic. The cast was absolutely phenomenal. Bill Hader killed it.

A ton of scares and a ton of laughs.

So much better than 1, for me.

Bravo.
TCTTS
AG
Reviews have been all over the place, so good to hear. Seeing it myself tomorrow night.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Did the clown kill the abusive husband ?
Swarely
Bill Hader really killed it.

Loved them ripping on SK's endings.

And his cameo was great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly don't get the negative reviews. It felt so perfectly constructed. Tight, even at its 3 hour runtime. It never dragged and did not feel long.

It's very much like Endgame in the way it's written and structured. Every character gets their time and their big scenes, and it all comes together perfectly.

Very curious to hear your thoughts tomorrow.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thanos vs. Pennywise? I'd pay to see that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what were the differences from the book? I assume they changed the ending since they rolled with that joke so much.

Movie spoiler:
Was Richie gay in the novel, too?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So what were the differences from the book? I assume they changed the ending since they rolled with that joke so much.

Was Richie gay in the novel, too?
I've read the novel 8-9 times and I never remember that being referenced.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seemed like a movie thing. But, I had a feeling that's where they were going with him pretty early in the movie.

Kind of dug it though. Nice reveal. Wish you hadn't read it before watching.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You wish I hadn't read the book before watching it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The spoiler text.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The spoiler text.
LOL, BES, you keep forgetting man, I'm 45 married with twin 7 year old girls. I go see 1-2 movies a year that actually pertain to what I want to see. I never even saw the first one of these. At best I'll see most of them 4-5 years ago when they're on TNT or FX at 1 .m. some night when I'm working late.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fair enough.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I have avoided reviews like the plague these past few days because I don't want to hear anything until I see it this weekend.

[edit] I have avoided "professional" reviews. I clicked on this assuming it would not have spoilers.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait, I didn't post spoilers in the OP.

I thought the spoiler tag would be indication not to read unless you've seen the movie.

I guess I'll edit.
BenFiasco14
AG
Seeing tomorrow night.

Also have read the book. Excited.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TheDoctor
AG
A mess at times, but the emotional heart of the novel was there under all the CGI thrills 'n spills.

Thumbs up from this Constant Reader.

The Silver scene was the absolute best.
Urban Ag
AG
Dropping my teenager off Saturday evening for this for his first theatre scary movie experience with friends.

I'm gonna pass, with A&M/Clemson and Texas/LSU, I can't give up the time on a Saturday. If it's that good maybe I'll take the boy for re-watch later. Looks great and glad to hear it delivers.
MBAR
AG
Felt much too long and really dragged at times for me. At other times, it was great. Creature design was amazing and I'd agree Bill Hader was absolutely fantastic.

I don't think it was awful, but I also don't think it was very good. Aside from Hader I felt it was fairly poorly acted. The adults really just don't carry a candle to the kids.

My final verdict is that its not bad, but not good, and extremely bloated. There's a lot that could have and should have been cut.
MBAR
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

I have avoided reviews like the plague these past few days because I don't want to hear anything until I see it this weekend.

[edit] I have avoided "professional" reviews. I clicked on this assuming it would not have spoilers.
I avoided putting spoilers, but I don't get this way of thinking. Its a thread about the movie after its been released. They will have spoilers 95% of the time.
Not a Bot
AG
I loved it. A little bit weirder than the first movie, and I know it sounds strange to say it like that. I think they handled the cocaine-induced ramblings of a strange man as well as they could.

Movie definitely did not drag for me, I didn't realize I had been sitting in the theater for so long.

I actually preferred the first one, but that's just because the kids were hilarious. This one's a little more serious for the most part, but there's still plenty of levity.
Not a Bot
AG
I really believe one of the best scenes in the movie was the scene they showed in the teaser trailer. Creepy as hell. Old women are scarier than clowns to me.

The digital saggy old lady boobies flopping around was a very strange choice and got a big chuckle. The scene was so tense at that point and I think it completely killed it.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait, I didn't post spoilers in the OP.

I thought the spoiler tag would be indication not to read unless you've seen the movie.

I guess I'll edit.

Oh no, I didn't mean that. Sorry, I worded that poorly.

I meant I knew that the posters here WOULD be considerate and use spoiler tags, which was the case when I first clicked on this thread.

I knew I would see general impressions, which is what I'm looking for prior to seeing it. I didn't see anything on here that ruined anything. The posters here have been good at using the spoiler tags.

I wasn't saying anything negative about anyone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, gotcha.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Something I should've said yesterday - I was singling out Bill Hader, but the entire Losers Club was absolutely fantastic.

McAvoy and Chastain were good, as everyone expected, but man, the guy playing Eddie was SPOT-ON. You eventually just see a grown-up version of the kid in Chapter 1. It's really impressive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$200M+ global opening incoming (horror record)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
MBAR said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

I avoided putting spoilers, but I don't get this way of thinking. Its a thread about the movie after its been released. They will have spoilers 95% of the time.
This thread was started at 9pm when the first showings were around 6-7pm. So, literally the only people who have seen it at that time are the people who just got out of the very first showings. Yes, it's "after its been released", but it was started immediately after the premiere.

I would say that spoiler tags may just be a courtesy through that first weekend as many people, like myself, are just looking for general impressions until we get a chance to see it (I hope to see it Saturday).
BenFiasco14
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

MBAR said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

This thread was started at 9pm when the first showings were around 6-7pm. So, literally the only people who have seen it at that time are the people who just got out of the very first showings. Yes, it's "after its been released", but it was started immediately after the premiere.

I would say that spoiler tags may just be a courtesy through that first weekend as many people, like myself, are just looking for general impressions until we get a chance to see it (I hope to see it Saturday).
Then you must return and tell us what was scarier: A&M @ Clemson game and outcome, or IT Chapter Two
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
FTACO97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Something I should've said yesterday - I was singling out Bill Hader, but the entire Losers Club was absolutely fantastic.

McAvoy and Chastain were good, as everyone expected, but man, the guy playing Eddie was SPOT-ON. You eventually just see a grown-up version of the kid in Chapter 1. It's really impressive.
Gotta agree with everything you've said in the thread so far. I thought the cast was absolutely nails at continuing the characters the kids had played. I really don't get the negative reviews at all. This was so well done and concluded the story perfectly. I'm really starting to feel like my brain comprehends stories differently than those who always come back with "the story was all over the place....incoherent....etc".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I literally can't think of any scenes you could lose in the movie. It all flows so well and all feels like it pays off something that was set up in 1.

I think the way the second act is structured with the individual Losers' stories helps to make it flow better. It doesn't feel "dr****" at all. For the same reason that Endgame works so well. (Not to mention the fact that everyone finding their artifacts felt very "collecting the stones" - y.)
Swarely
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's Ziggy Sobotka!
FTACO97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Did you also notice that:

The actress playing his wife was the same actress that played his mother
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was too busy noticing that the wife looked like a friend of mine's wife. Scarily so.
Saxsoon
AG
Its strange, I recognize the flaws in this film, and was surprised at how unlike Chastain was as Bev, but I loved this film. It just really connected with me and I had a wonderful time. I was surprised at how quick 3 hours went because I have had 80 minute films last longer, in that I was just having a good time. I was surprised when I looked at my watch and 2 hours had passed.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.