Sturgill's new project....

4,560 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Echoes97
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Junkhead said:

You sound bitter & jealous. Just sayin'.
OK so I've been respectful of everyone else's opinions on here, but since you decided to go there, let's go there.

I'm sitting here in my office looking at all the gold and platinum records I have hanging on my wall. I've been blessed to have had my songs recorded by some of the biggest artists in the music industry, I've been nominated for a Tony Award, I've had songs in feature films and TV, won CCMA songwriter of the year, currently nominated for bluegrass song of the year. I'm producing a couple of TX music artists who are starting to get a lot of traction. I serve as the legislative chair for the Nashville Songwriters Association and have been doing work on behalf of American songwriters for almost two decades. I teach a commercial songwriter class gratis at Columbia State CC to help out aspiring writers. I have a wife and three sons who love me and are proud of my accomplishments.

So let me ask you, what exactly do I have to be bitter OR jealous about? Could it be that rather than consider that I may have a valid, informed opinion that is contrary to yours, it's just easier for you to throw out insults and slurs?

I'm thinking it's the latter. Good day to you sir.
Jimbo Franchione
CharlieBrown17
AG
AggieChemist said:

I like Sturgill, I like his 2010s version of outlaw, I love his voice... but that album with all the brass instruments was hot garbage.

Sunday Valley Sturgill is best Sturgill.
Know Your Enemy
AG
You sound even more bitter & jealous now after that response. You come off like you think you're more talented than Sturgill but he got all the "hype" while you're an unknown outside of your community.
rbtexan
S
I can't think of anything that matters less to me in the world than your opinion about what I sound like. The members here who have actually met me (and there's quite a few) would tell you how ridiculous your assumptions about me are. But you go ahead and think whatever you want - I'm disengaging from this conversation with you, and I'll remind you that it was you who made something personal that wasn't.
Jimbo Franchione
Know Your Enemy
AG
Lol, if my comments didn't matter to you there wouldn't be a long post listing all of your accomplishments. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I read more into it than what was there. But your last two responses lead me to believe I was spot on originally. You have a very successful career. Be proud of that and don't worry about what some idiot says on a message board.
Btron
AG
Quote:

have no issue with that, there's a reason why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream - to each his own

A little ironic note. Strugill has a lyric on "Keep between the lines" - there's a reason they make chocolate and vanilla too
Johnny Danger
AG
rbtexan said:

He was absolutely hyped, although not as much lately. He did an album that sounded reminiscent of Waylon Jennings and he got a ton of press about being the "savior/future of country music". Did the late night show circuit, made a big scene because he didn't get invited to the CMA awards...I don't have the time or interest in looking up all the stuff written/said about him, but he was absolutely hyped.

In response to this snarky comment
Quote:

No kidding. He doesn't sing any songs about dirt roads

You're right, now that I think about it, his lyrics and songs are so atrociously vapid and borderline nonsensical, he does sort of fit right in with the garbage they're trying to pass off as country music these days.

Nonsensical lyrics? You've obviously never given his songs a chance. His lyrics require thought and a few listens but that's part of what makes him unique. His songs make total sense if you have the brain to decipher a metaphor. Is he an *******? Maybe but I don't care because his records are exceptional and different than what anybody is doing. And yes, you come across bitter and jealous, just like your characterization of Sturgill.
Low budget Waylon Jennings
PatAg
AG
If your post needs multiple paragraphs to get your point across, you are probably better off doing something else with your time.
AgHawkeye
AG
I just want to go on record as saying I like Sturgill Simpson enough that I am disappointed that the thread for his new project that I was looking forward to reading turned into what I just read through.

Also, I don't really enjoy the radio country music so maybe that says something about Sturgill and Jason Isbell because I really enjoyed both of them.
Ag-Hawkeye
Redstone
AG
Very sad to observe the fight between rb and junk.

I've long respected them both, and hope we can witness reconciliation. Now, as to the thread topic...

Although I'm a Bro Country fan, it's been important for me as a TexAgs Influencer to write well of Simpson. I've championed his work here for some time, and will continue to do so.
johnnyblaze36
AG
rbtexan said:

Junkhead said:

You sound bitter & jealous. Just sayin'.
OK so I've been respectful of everyone else's opinions on here, but since you decided to go there, let's go there.

I'm sitting here in my office looking at all the gold and platinum records I have hanging on my wall. I've been blessed to have had my songs recorded by some of the biggest artists in the music industry, I've been nominated for a Tony Award, I've had songs in feature films and TV, won CCMA songwriter of the year, currently nominated for bluegrass song of the year. I'm producing a couple of TX music artists who are starting to get a lot of traction. I serve as the legislative chair for the Nashville Songwriters Association and have been doing work on behalf of American songwriters for almost two decades. I teach a commercial songwriter class gratis at Columbia State CC to help out aspiring writers. I have a wife and three sons who love me and are proud of my accomplishments.

So let me ask you, what exactly do I have to be bitter OR jealous about? Could it be that rather than consider that I may have a valid, informed opinion that is contrary to yours, it's just easier for you to throw out insults and slurs?

I'm thinking it's the latter. Good day to you sir.
Holy Scottie Pippen dunking on Patrick Ewing balls in the face style.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Although I'm a Bro Country fan
Yeah, you definitely seem like the sittin-on-the-tailgate-in-the-moonlight-on-the-river road type.
gigemJTH12
AG
I love Sturgill.

Metamodern is one of my favorite albums ever. The next one wasn't my style but still enjoy it.

But my favorite thing about him is he gave us Tyler Childers
Ag_07
AG
Well there's no question about this...It's certainly not country.

https://instagr.am/p/B1HC4qGB-E8

I think I'll enjoy it but completely different direction for Sturgill that's for sure.
MelvinUdall
I love Sturgil Simpson and while this is something that may not be my cup of tea, I am fan at what he tried to create and the covers he mixes in with each album. I know that with each album he puts out there, it will be dramatically different than the prior album.
TxKng82
AG
Not here to object either way about Sturgill, but Sturgill has been pretty vocal over the years that he does not want to be branded into one category.

His plan has always been to make 5 albums and for each album to sound different. Basically make whatever he's feeling at the time. He's pretty much said his last two albums will not be like any of the first three. So I wouldn't hope for anything like MetaModern from him possibly ever again.
blinnboy83
Seriously! His 2014 show at Fitz in Houston is one of my all timers, and Sometimes Wine was one of the best parts.
Quinn
AG
Almost sounds like Queens Of The Stone Age... I like it!
Echoes97
AG
blinnboy83 said:

Seriously! His 2014 show at Fitz in Houston is one of my all timers, and Sometimes Wine was one of the best parts.

Was there as well, was packed and epic! Makes me sad all over again to see it torn down.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.