Last Chance U Season 4

6,982 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Dog Lord
Charlie Murphy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guess we can let this serve as the season 4 thread. Spoilers below!
Bunk Moreland
Watched all the eps. Jason Brown is a POS. Really made this season tough to watch. You should never have joy in watching someone self destruct, but it felt good knowing what ultimately happened to him going into watching it because he has very few if any redeeming qualities.
Charlie Murphy
Would have thought this thread would have gotten more play. I'll say season 4 was a big letdown, not surprising with the season they had however. I imagine this one being difficult for a filmmaker to make interesting.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Three episodes in and this season has sucked. Football seems like an after thought, no games at all in second episode.
Stupe
S
There is no way that I would want my son competing for a coach like that.
Canyon99
Damn talk about a **** season. Brown is so extremely self centered it's pathetic. The scenes of him reading emails from viewers was beyond sad. He brought in MH because he is self serving.
Mike Elko
AG
Midway through season. Who's the player wearing the maroon A&M cap in the first episode? Brief, but there.

*Also,Terry Price sighting.
Bunk Moreland
I think it was Kuony Deng, 4 star Juco LB that we were interested in, but he ultimately went to Cal.
Topher17
AG
Through 6 episodes and I think one of the main issues with this season, aside from JB, is just a lack of truly interesting players. In past years there were some guys you were truly rooting for and had just been dealt a rough hand in life and not found a way to get through it or out of their own way. This year, we aren't really seeing that. The whole season has been a build up to the inevitable downfall of JB, which isn't as enthralling.

The only interesting story to me this year is the defensive coordinator and what life is like for him and his family. It is interesting to see he has the same dream as his players, but just like many JUCO players most coaches never make the D1 level.

Last, I really hope this show gets renewed. This season hasn't been the best, but I still love the show and the other side of football it portrays. I think seeing them back at Indy and how things have changed under the new HC (who is the OL/OC in the show) would be interesting, but also wouldn't mind them moving to a new school.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Topher17 said:

Last, I really hope this show gets renewed. This season hasn't been the best, but I still love the show and the other side of football it portrays. I think seeing them back at Indy and how things have changed under the new HC (who is the OL/OC in the show) would be interesting, but also wouldn't mind them moving to a new school.

Same here. I don't know if it would be as interesting, but they may need to drop the 2nd season for the schools. I think everyone's showing up there just to get on TV, at least it seemed that way this season. Also, I think they need to stop showing opponents celebrations after they win. Seems like that's where the fights start. I doubt most JUCO teams storm the field after a victory over a 1-5 team unless it's on Netflix.

As far as the coach goes, I didn't hate him first season because he's a ridiculous, funny character. Now he wants to take over the defense, even though his offense is scoring less than 20 a game and giving away plenty of points off turnovers. Not to mention awful special teams. Seems to me the defense was keeping them in games.
Topher17
AG
txaggiefarmer05 said:

Topher17 said:

Same here. I don't know if it would be as interesting, but they may need to drop the 2nd season for the schools. I think everyone's showing up there just to get on TV, at least it seemed that way this season. Also, I think they need to stop showing opponents celebrations after they win. Seems like that's where the fights start. I doubt most JUCO teams storm the field after a victory over a 1-5 team unless it's on Netflix.

As far as the coach goes, I didn't hate him first season because he's a ridiculous, funny character. Now he wants to take over the defense, even though his offense is scoring less than 20 a game and giving away plenty of points off turnovers. Not to mention awful special teams. Seems to me the defense was keeping them in games.
The second seasons at both schools definitely had the feeling of "I'm here to get on TV," and you know damn well both coaches used that as a recruiting pitch. Might be interesting if they alternated years at schools, but not on any kind of regular schedule to sort of guard against that happening. However, the downside is you might then lose some of the continuity of storylines.
Charlie Murphy
Not that I want to defend JB but its interesting that the players dont seem to hate him as much as you would think. In fact, you end up seeing some of the players defend him on twitter.

JB and the EMCC coach are jackasses but I wonder if they are the kick in the ass many of the kids need to get things back on track.
DFWag17
AG
Just as a FYI, there's a bonus where are they now episode in the trailers and more section.
Charlie Murphy
Good interview with JB.

Heartland Radio 2.0
i is smart
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Good interview with JB.

Heartland Radio 2.0
Pat McAfee and his crew are fun to listen to if you need to pass the time at work. Nothing too enlightening, just a fun listen for you podcast addicts like myself.

I can't stand JB, but I enjoyed hearing the problems shows like this cause. Also, seems like they doubled down on vilifying him this year. He seems to genuinely care about the kids more than the show lets on IMO.
SACR
AG

Finally finished watching it.

Glad KD is getting a shot at Arkansas State.

Bobby Bruce decided since he wasn't getting reps at practice or in games he was going to self-destruct so he could be sent home.

The inclusion of pictures in KD's 20 page paper was a 'wow' moment. Not that he did it, but that Mydosh allowed them.

At EMCC, they'd have 65 players on the roster each year, ICC had 200. ICC wanted JB to bring in as many players as possible to prop up their class enrollment numbers. The administration would complain about JB's antics on the sideline, but they loved the cash his players were bringing into the college. These players upset they got cut from the team for being dumbasses, wait until they figure out the the scam that was pulled on them using student loan money to fund their final dream of making it in football.
AustinAg2K
I finally finished. Definitely the least interesting of all the series. I do think JB gets a bit of a bad rap. Dude is definitely a ****** who needs a reality check on his coaching skills, but he did seem to care about the players more than the coach EMCC. It seemed like half the time he spent yelling at the players was because they were smoking weed and skipping class. He also got on his staff for not doing classroom checks and stuff. I hope the DC gets a shot somewhere. He seemed like a good dude, and his wife must love him to put up with living in the dorm.

I also found the players to be more likable, but less interesting. Outside of Malik, there was no one I really hated. And honestly, Malik didn't seem as bad this year. No one was super interesting, though.

One thing every season of Last Chance U makes me do is be thankful I grew up in an environment which valued education. So many of those kids have no chance because of the environment they grow up in.
aggie0959
Malik was playing the for the cameras. He probably had a contract with Netflix saying he had rights for edit. As soon as he came into the game he started his old ways for talking crap to coaches at games and trying to jump into fights. Thus they sent him on his way.
Saint Pablo
I liked this season...it was interesting to see a season where the team wasn't dominant or even successful.

Going off of the show, it seems like JB got high off of his own fame and that led to his demise. It seemed like he cared less about actual ball and he also created a huge Sumlin-style mess at QB. The kid who ratted him out seems like a clown though...it was pretty clear that he just did that as retaliation for being cut. Obviously, doesn't make what JB said right, but people know what they are getting with him and know that he speaks the way that he does.

Happy KD got a shot, he is a lovable guy.

Seems to be same old same old with Malik. Says the right things, but at the end of the day he is soft and ready to throw his coaches and teammates under the bus when things go wrong.

Speaking of soft, Jay Jones was so mentally soft its unreal. He wilted at any sliver of adversity. I'd be curious to see how much differently he would've turned out had Malik never came back.

Wish they didn't focus so much on Bobby Bruce, the dude is an idiot.

At the end of the day, it is clear that this season was ruined by a lack of leadership among coaches and at the quarterback position.
Sex Panther
AG
Saint Pablo said:

I liked this season...it was interesting to see a season where the team wasn't dominant or even successful.

I did too, I thought this was one of the most interesting seasons for that very reason. Watching a team with all the talent in the world implode primarily due to a moron coach with an insane idea of self-grandeur was pretty fascinating.

This show continues to be one of the best things on tv/streaming
Saint Pablo
Sex Panther said:

Saint Pablo said:

I did too, I thought this was one of the most interesting seasons for that very reason. Watching a team with all the talent in the world implode primarily due to a moron coach with an insane idea of self-grandeur was pretty fascinating.

Agree 100%. I am curious where they will go next
SACR
AG
Sex Panther said:

Saint Pablo said:

I don't think JB's ego was the issue. They made the point that once you lose your third game, your season is basically over in juco. After the third loss, it became all about personal statistics and getting that scholarship.

I'm just trying to figure out how you can have 200 guys on your roster, and not put together a decent offensive line or running game.

The Malik/Jay Jones thing was played up for the cameras. If you look at the stats for the season, Chase Hildreth was the primary QB.

Jones was screwing up on drills against air in practice, so it's no surprise he couldn't get it done in games.
AggieDPT
AG
I loved how Jay Jones committed to Georgia Tech then wanted to transfer because he didn't want to run the ball 40 times a game. Shows how uneducated these kids are when they make their decisions or how easily they believe things.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
"Where are the mother****ing footballs?!?! I bought 100 ******* footballs for this team last year and they're all ****ing gone!!!!"

Cut to Stogie using a football as a chew toy at JB's house.

That was a gutbuster for me and the PERFECT summation of JB style and tenure at ICC.
Sex Panther
AG
When a team has the talent that ICC had, and goes 2-8, it's a coaching problem. JB can get great players there, but the fact that they had that terrible of a season and completely imploded is an indictment of how ****ty a coach he is.

I will say I was amazed that he didn't seem to care more that they were losing.
Bunk Moreland
AggieDPT said:

I loved how Jay Jones committed to Georgia Tech then wanted to transfer because he didn't want to run the ball 40 times a game. Shows how uneducated these kids are when they make their decisions or how easily they believe things.

I think that was complete bull**** for the production of the show. They kept referring to him as one of the top recruits in the country. He was a 3 star. He knew exactly what GT ran and was ok with it. He likely didn't get named starter and bailed and that was his bs reasoning.
Bunk Moreland
His lack of caring I think is the theme for the whole year. He was already a likely loser-but-hustler before he was featured on the show, then used the show to inflate his ego to be a f list celebrity (shown brilliantly throughout as he's reading Twitter comments) and during his downfall he just stopped doing anything remotely resembling a leader or coach.
Sex Panther
AG
Watching him read the twitter threads was so cringeworthy... you could just see his ego going through the roof thinking he was such a badass, and it was just flat embarrassing.

Also, anyone else find it really weird he was hanging out in Tulsa, Oklahoma??
Sex Panther
AG
SACR said:

At EMCC, they'd have 65 players on the roster each year, ICC had 200. ICC wanted JB to bring in as many players as possible to prop up their class enrollment numbers. The administration would complain about JB's antics on the sideline, but they loved the cash his players were bringing into the college. These players upset they got cut from the team for being dumbasses, wait until they figure out the the scam that was pulled on them using student loan money to fund their final dream of making it in football.

This was pretty infuriating to watch
Bunk Moreland
He had his tinder range opened up to 99 miles but she was a no show.
SACR
AG
Sex Panther said:

Watching him read the twitter threads was so cringeworthy... you could just see his ego going through the roof thinking he was such a badass, and it was just flat embarrassing.

I liked it when he was drunkenly explaining how he is kind of a big deal to those people in the bar.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Sex Panther said:

Tulsa is the closest "big city" to Independence that's within reasonable commuting distance for dinner and drinks.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah, I just looked it up. Didn't put it together that they were so (relatively) close. Although I think Bunk might be onto something.
SACR
AG
Sex Panther said:

Yeah, I just looked it up. Didn't put it together that they were so (relatively) close. Although I think Bunk might be onto something.
Trust The Bunk
Mikeyshooter
AG
Am I crazy for kinda liking JB? Thru episode 6 and he was pretty tame until the Iowa Western game.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.