Expanse season 4 (Amazon)

3,865 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trailer just dropped...

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/1085157-comic-con-the-expanse-season-4-trailer-debuts

Debuts December 13. I am guessing all episodes get released.
Can't wait!
redbaron788
AG
Ohh, can't wait!

Curious how they adapt the storyline and hope we get detective bug bot
ham98
Sex Panther
AG
Gonna need a refresher but excited none the less
Saxsoon
AG
I didn't like this book that much but I think it will make for much better tv
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
DVC2010
AG
I'm really looking forward to the ninth novel, but this will do until then.
p_bubel
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Saxsoon said:

I didn't like this book that much but I think it will make for much better tv

Broad possible book spoilers: The second of the trilogies were definitely the slowest. After reading book 8, it's become apparent why 4 was so important, to introduce us to Elvi. It kind of reminds me of the 2nd season of The Wire, where it's not what you wanted at first, but you later realize it's importance.

Does anyone know if they got a major budget increase now that Amazon is producing?
bobinator
AG
Excellent. I've read all the books since the end of the last season so I need to do a rewatch to figure out where exactly in the story we're supposed to be, haha.
Hogties
AG
I am excited to see what they do with this series. The Expanse had a huge presence at Comic-Con and Amazon Prime is pushing it hard, so that bodes well for budget and creative options.

Side note, got to chat with the authors and got them to sign the first book for me. They were happy with the direction of the show and story, so that's a good sign I guess.
Dro07
AG
Season 3 ended when they found the portals to the different worlds.

This will be where the belters have moved to new worlds and have started mining and everything goes to hell in a hand basket when they find out that the protomolecule communication system was destroyed in this planet and they have to figure out why.
NColoradoAG
This clip was also released. Im guessing this is the end of the first episode or the beginning of the second episode.

I know Cibola Burn isnt a consensus favorite among fans, but it's in my top three. It's such a different level of desperation and setting in this book that it really sets apart, IMO. I feel this is the book where the bonds that exist between Holden, Naomi, Amos, and Alex really solidify from crewmates and lovers to a bond of a true family.

They show Avasarala, Bobbie, and Drummer in this trailer. They hardly appear in Cibola Burn, but Im guessing Amazon wrote in some storylines for them around the defense of the gates and the missing martian ships and military resources that are critical to the next two books

Really excited this landed on Amazon so they're not constrained anymore by language, violence, or strict runtimes. I'd love for this series to run through all nine books.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What are your top 3?

Mine would have to be 8,7, and 3.
NColoradoAG
Champ Bailey said:

What are your top 3?

Mine would have to be 8,7, and 3.
I knew that question was coming. Probably 5, 4, 7

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
4 & 5 both are so different from any of the other books that I get the appeal. I think 6 is just a mark below how exceptional all the other books were that it causes the whole middle arc to seem slower.

BTW, here's a way too deep dive into the series numbers and why it made sense for both SyFy to drop it and Amazon to pick it up.

https://www.destroythecomics.com/nerd-tv-shows/quantifying-the-expanse-cancellation-diving-into-the-numbers-syfy-the-future-at-amazon/
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
dromo07 said:

This will be where the belters have moved to new worlds and have started mining and everything goes to hell in a hand basket when they find out that the protomolecule communication system was destroyed in this planet and they have to figure out why.

When did belters move to new worlds? there whole issue that causes book 5 is that they couldn't move but earthers and martians could. Right?
NColoradoAG
Sarduakar said:

dromo07 said:

When did belters move to new worlds? there whole issue that causes book 5 is that they couldn't move but earthers and martians could. Right?
Youre correct. The belters cant handle terrestrial gravities without lots of medical and prosthetic aid IIRC. In the book, Naomi never goes down to Ilus. In that clip I posted earlier it shows her walking on the surface but she falls pretty quickly. Im guessing they may not keep her on Ilus for very long in the show.
bobinator
AG
I think he kind of mis-spoke there. Yeah, a lot of the later plot happens exactly because the Belters can't really move onto the new planets like everyone else.

I think my favorites are 3, 4 and 5.
Dro07
AG
Sorry ya you are right about the belters. I confused them with people that had been living on Ganymede or other colonized moons and such.
hunter2012
AG
Just curious, I'm on book 2 now and I'd like to start watching the show when I catch up. What book is season 4 likely going to cover?
NColoradoAG
hunter2012 said:

Just curious, I'm on book 2 now and I'd like to start watching the show when I catch up. What book is season 4 likely going to cover?
It will probably cover all of Cibola Burn and possibly snag some events right at the beginning of Nemesis Games.
hunter2012
AG
NColoradoAG said:

hunter2012 said:

It will probably cover all of Cibola Burn and possibly snag some events right at the beginning of Nemesis Games.
Thanks, now I'll avoid this thread like the plague. I wish Miller would come back...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hunter2012 said:

NColoradoAG said:

hunter2012 said:

Thanks, now I'll avoid this thread like the plague. I wish Miller would come back...

Yeah he is great.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Dro07
AG
Sweet!
ham98
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So since this is on Amazon now, you think the first episode is just going to be tits and Avasarala dropping the C word every other sentence?
redline248
AG
Man, I was really surprised by how much I liked this show.
titanmaster_race
Absolutely love this show. I hope it gets more exposure now that it's on Amazon and not SyFy, because it certainly deserves lots of eyes.
bobinator
AG
I'm pretty sure the online versions already had that.

This may be a 'misremembering' thing, but this show wasn't actually created by SyFy, it was just sold to them. But I seem to remember the online versions being unedited.
redline248
AG
What are the online versions? I started the show earlier this year, so only ever watched through Amazon. I remember the pilot episode showing a bit of boob from a fair distance, but that was it.
bobinator
AG
I was talking more about the language. And I can't remember where I caught up on this show online. Part of me thinks it was Amazon but it could also have just been on SyFy streaming.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

I'm pretty sure the online versions already had that.

This may be a 'misremembering' thing, but this show wasn't actually created by SyFy, it was just sold to them. But I seem to remember the online versions being unedited.

I think Amazon has the "unedited" version right now with the occasional f-bombs and basically everything shown but nips regarding nudity.

That being said, when you are making a show with the primary distributor being Sci-fi vs Amazon, I would think your unedited version still ends up cleaner to reduce time spent having to go back and correct things you can't say/see on tv.
bobinator
AG
See for sure. Though there's not just a ton of sex in this story anyway. But after the slingshot scene and the incident in the slow zone though I think we can conclude that there's basically nothing you can't show gore-wise on SyFy right?

It does appear the show is going to have a little different look and feel to it, all I'm really saying is I don't think it's going to suddenly become Game of Thrones with all the nudity or anything.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.