A song that hits you like a ton of bricks? why?

7,003 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Not a Bot
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So a few years ago, I got a call at about 2:30am. It was either the police or an EMT calling on Mom's phone to tell me my Dad had had a heart attack and was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. The next call was around 4am, and it was the nurse in the ER, telling me that Dad had not made it. About two hours into the 3 hour drive to get to Mom and the hospital, I'm pretty much in a daze and just driving on autopilot when "Have a Little Faith in Me" by John Hiatt comes on Pandora. Even though the song was written from the perspective of a husband to his wife, the words of that song just cut through the fog I was in and it just seemed as though it was straight from Dad, talking to me about our new relationship, now that he'd be in Heaven. It's been about 2.5 years since then, and I can finally listen to that song without tearing up. It brings me an indescribable feeling of comfort and closeness to him, now.

Quote:

When the road gets dark
And you can no longer see
Let my love throw a spark
And have a little faith in me

And when the tears you cry
Are all you can believe
Give these loving arms a try babe

Have a little faith in me

And when you secret heart
Cannot speak not so easily
From a whisper start
To have a little faith in me

And when your back's against the wall
Just turn around and you will see
I will catch your fall

When the road gets dark
And you can no longer see
Let my love grow a spark

I've been loving you for such a long time, [son] (actual lyrics "girl")
Expecting nothing in return
Just for you to have a little faith in me
You know time, time is our friend
Cuz for us there is no end
And all you gotta do is have a little faith in me

I will hold you up, I will hold you up
Your love gives me strength enough

gig'em emoticon because Dad was a Class of '59 Ag, and this song makes me feel closer to him.
expresswrittenconsent
Probably the theme from the movie Taboo.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Strange as it is, the song is Forever by Chris Brown. I'm sure you all the wedding video set to this song and the subsequent episode of the Office that parodied it in 2009. I watched that episode on a Thursday night with my wife when Jim & Pam get married.

The next night I went to a football game where I was supposed to see a good friend of mine but he didn't turn up. On Monday morning, I found out that he had gone missing. Late that night, they found his body in his car - he had killed himself with a pistol.

It will have been 10 years ago that it happened this October. When I hear that Chris Brown song I feel like it was the last thing I did when my friend had been alive, and it really sucks that he's gone now.
nai06
AG
The River by Garth Brooks. Reminds me of a hilarious moment between a buddy and I right before we started school freshman year. He was only other person from my high school that I knew at A&M Galveston. Later the spring he ODed and died. I'll always associate that song with my memory of my friend.
The Debt
Growing up as a Pakistani boy in the south London, I always felt like the pressure of society and family were telling me what to do. The first time I heard Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run it transformed my life.
Philo B 93
I went for a jog after hearing about my grandpa dying, and I heard the song "It's a Fine Fine Day" by Tony Carey. It wasn't nearly as much of a Ton of Bricks moment as OP, but it was "one of those moments in life..."

Max Power
AG
Porcelain by Moby. It's a beautiful song, but it just breaks me down. Reminds me of some really dark times mentally, from college. The piano melody specifically that does it. I could be doing anything and if I heard that song I will get depressed instantly.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jordan by Rival Sons

It's about wanting a loved one's suffering to end. Reminds me a lot of when my dad was in his final days. He kept saying that he was ready to die.

Swarely
"Love Without End, Amen"

I don't remember a ton from my dads funeral. But I remember the priest playing that song. My sister turned and , with tears streaming down her face, said "I think Fr Roy just ruined this song for us". Sure enough he did.
JABQ04
AG
Even though I was in 3rd grade when he passed, the song "He walked on Water" by Randy Travis reminds me of the only grandfather I knew. And it described him to a T. With the exception of serving in WWII my grandpa was a cowboy/ ranch hand his whole life until he couldn't sit on a horse anymore. Then he took a part time custodial job at a school and would bring me toys the teachers would take away from the students.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Pearl Jam's version of Last Kiss. When my mom passed away 20 years ago, I had to go pick up my brother from a friend's house to let him know. When I turned on my car, that song was playing on the radio. Whenever I hear that song, my mom's death always pops in my mind.
MABAggie93
Baltimore by Lyle Lovett
jokershady
AG
Anytime I was going through some rough **** when I was younger....this one always got me on a positive mind set and got my head right.

Quote:

Another memory and I'm asking myself
Why can't I let the past be the past?
Once and for all take a hold of the future
And not let it control what I aspire to have
I see where my decisions have brought me
What's done is done and it's time to start again
Can't let it tear me in two, or waste me away
I gotta believe

'Cause this is now (now!)
Can I change tomorrow if I can't change today?
This is now (now!)
If I control myself I control my destiny
This is now (now!)
How can I change tomorrow if I can't change today?
This is now (now!)

What I've seen and what I've been through
Has made me who I am
There was a time in my life
Where I had no desire to carry on
I couldn't see a place for me
Or a will to survive
I never thought to rely on myself
Or the beliefs that I had denied
But this is now (now!)

This is now (now!)
This is now (now!)
This is now (now!)

If I control myself
I control my tomorrow, I got to change today
'Cause this is now!

Now! (now!)
Now! (now!)

This is now!
I must control myself if I'm to control my destiny

Tormentos
AG
Vola - The Same War....it just "hits"
Flashdiaz
AG
Say Hello to Heaven ... and that was before Chris Cornell died
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I've always been amazed by just how beautiful the song "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton is. Just a heartwarming song about love:

"It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair
And then she asks me, Do I look all right?
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me
And then she asks me, Do you feel all right?
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight"

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight"
AgBQ-00
AG
Go Rest High on that Mountain by Vince Gill. I heard it for the first time in my car just after I'd found out my granddad died. I still go right back to that place everytime I hear it.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
agrams
AG
Hitch a Ride by Boston.

Was at the hospital visiting my grandfather, his body was failing and he decided to stop his dialysis so he could pass. Talked a while with him, and the last thing he asked me when I walked out of his room was to take care of my brother, who was having a rough time. Got in my truck and drove home and the song came on. I just sat and listened to it in the parking lot, and he passed away that night. Still a tough song for me.

Quote:

Gonna hitch a ride
Head for the other side
Leave it all behind
Never change my mind
Gonna sail away
Sun lights another day
Freedom on my mind
Carry me away for the last time
Oh yeah
Diggity
AG
jeffk
AG
Swarely said:

"Love Without End, Amen"

I don't remember a ton from my dads funeral. But I remember the priest playing that song. My sister turned and , with tears streaming down her face, said "I think Fr Roy just ruined this song for us". Sure enough he did.

Same song, similar connection to my dad. He preached a sermon using the lyrics as an example when I was probably about 10 or 11. Admitted to many of his own short-comings and failures. I remember being really proud of him in that moment. He's still around but struggling through Parkinson's now and I still think back fondly to that moment all those years ago.
Ryan C. Whittenberg
AG
Barbed Wire Halo by Aaron Watson was the first song that came on after I found out of my granddad passed. Still a tough one to get through. That one along with When He Knows Me by Randall King.
UnderoosAg
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Go Rest High on that Mountain by Vince Gill. I heard it for the first time in my car just after I'd found out my granddad died. I still go right back to that place everytime I hear it.

He played it with Patty Loveless at George Jones' memorial. He had to fight to keep it together.

MEEN Ag 05
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Walking around Paris at 3 in the morning with a now ex in 2015.
farleyaggie

Jason Aldean - See You When I See You.

Listened to it as a drove to my grandparent's house the day after my grandfather died. Now, I listen to it and smile as I think of him watching from above.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
There are several songs that really touch me for various personal reasons.

For some reason, the one that resonates the most for me still after all these years is Springsteen's "Valentine's Day". I spent the last two years of college madly in love with a girl that I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with. It wasn't an unrequited love but one I came to realize far too late was much more one sided than I thought. I still can't hear this song without being 22/23 years old again. Somehow the smell of her perfume appears from the ether when it plays.
agenjake
agenjake
That's my Job- Conway Twitty

JYDog90
AG
I Asked the Lord by John Newton

Quote:

I asked the Lord that I might grow
In faith and love and ev'ry grace,
Might more of His salvation know,
And seek more earnestly His face.

'Twas He who taught me thus to pray,
And He, I trust, has answered prayer,
But it has been in such a way
As almost drove me to despair.

I hoped that in some favored hour
At once He'd answer my request
And, by His love's constraining pow'r,
Subdue my sins and give me rest.

Instead of this, He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry pow'rs of hell
Assault my soul in ev'ry part.

Yea, more with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe,
Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,
Humbled my heart and laid me low.

"Lord, why is this," I trembling cried;
"Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?"
"'Tis in this way," the Lord replied,
"I answer prayer for grace and faith."

"These inward trials I employ
From self and pride to set thee free
And break thy schemes of earthly joy
That thou may'st find thy all in Me."

LeonardSkinner
Maybe it doesn't quite count, but yesterday, I saw her for the first time in three and a half years. The one whose heart I broke, the one that I probably should have married.

After an awkward two minute conversation, where it was clear that she no longer gave much of a damn about me, either good or bad, I left the store, got in the car and turned on the ignition.

Right as "Every Rose has its Thorn" starts playing on the radio.
superunknown
AG
Pearl Jam - Just Breathe

When my oldest sister was dying, she was unresponsive for a few days towards the end and the "death rattle" sound of breathing was definitely in the air, it was really the only way we knew she was still alive. The day our other sister spent frantically trying to make it back to see her, there was that mantra in my head "just breathe" because i wanted my other sister to see her before she passed. Weird, morbid, whatever. I just havent heard that song the same since.
Carlo4
AG
Post removed:
by user
Ferg
Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin

because after college i lived my life so far from home.
Raptor
AG
The main them from Jurassic Park. Seriously. Growing up with ADHD, before it was a common thing, I had very few things that could grab my attention and focus me. School sucked, sports were okay, and women...well, you know.

That music from Jurassic Park touched my soul and when I need to relax or focus, I just play it and it works.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.