Grateful Dead, where to start?

2,261 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by snowdog90
Post removed:
by user
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went with American Beauty as my real introduction to the Dead after going my whole life not really ever giving them much of a chance.

It's an amazing, almost perfect album from start to finish.
johnnyblaze36
AG
dave94 said:

I went with American Beauty as my real introduction to the Dead after going my whole life not really ever giving them much of a chance.

Exactly this. I have the vinyl on my wall in a collage of 15 other non-Dead vinyls. It really is perfect.

Then pick any Dick's Picks number out of a hat and you should be pleased.
AgLaw
AG
American Beauty. There may be no band in the history of rock with a more seminal album than this. Box of Rain + Friend of the Devil to start. You will be hooked.

After that, listen to every version of Scarlet Begonias and Ripple you can get your hands on.
Redstone
AG
Only now getting into them? Really?

Start with Dylan & The Dead.
powerbelly
AG
dave94 said:

This. Sucked me in completely.
AgLaw
AG
Redstone said:

Not everyone is a dried up Ole Ag (like me, and - maybe - you). My 16 YO is going to see Dead & Co. in a couple of weeks and can't wait. We just took him to see McCartney on Friday, and he loved it. Music that transcends generations becomes a permanent part of the culture. Regardless of when folks are introduced, it's great that they have the experience.
johnnyblaze36
AG
AgLaw said:

Redstone said:

Not everyone is a dried up Ole Ag (like me, and - maybe - you). My 16 YO is going to see Dead & Co. in a couple of weeks and can't wait. We just took him to see McCartney on Friday, and he loved it. Music that transcends generations becomes a permanent part of the culture. Regardless of when folks are introduced, it's great that they have the experience.
How was that Paul show at the Ballpark? I had an opportunity to go but failed last minute. I'm assuming you mean Dead and Co. at Starplex? That should be a good one.

I've yet to have seen Mayer live with them but everything I've listened to is quite good. Went to the Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago with Trey playing and had the time of my life.

Just reading this thread makes me pumped for the OP.

AgLaw
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

AgLaw said:

Redstone said:

How was that Paul show at the Ballpark? I had an opportunity to go but failed last minute. I'm assuming you mean Dead and Co. at Starplex? That should be a good one.

I've yet to have seen Mayer live with them but everything I've listened to is quite good. Went to the Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago with Trey playing and had the time of my life.

Just reading this thread makes me pumped for the OP.

Paul was awesome for me - my first time. My older brother introduced me to the Beatles when i was about ten. I've been a fan ever since but spent too many years ignoring solo work because "without John there is no Beatles."

Paul is limited on his vocals, but his band is amazing, and his stories alone are worth the price of admission. And even with his limits, he poured it out unabashedly, which in and of itself is an inspiration to middle aged dudes like me who never had the guts to play live. He played almost 40 songs over three hours. Definitely one for the bucket list of you haven't seen him.

His drummer nailed the John Lennon vocals on all Beatles songs. I mean NAILED.
Liquid Wrench
1. American Beauty
2. Workingman's Dead

If you still want more, I'd check out What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.
TresPuertas
AG
Through high school I always liked them but never really got way into them. College was the same, and then a couple of years after they kind of dropped off my radar completely.

About 6 years ago I started down the road again with a focus on their live stuff and was completely hooked To me, that's the strength of the band and when they are absolutely at their best.

And for better or worse, one of the reasons I turned my back on them was because of the community of dead heads. That whole thing, even through the 2000's always seemed kind of silly to me, and being a younger conservative leaning kid just starting in the business world it just kind of had me rolling my eyes at times. It's probably not fair, but that's the way it was.

American Beauty is a great starting off point but one of the things I later understood and learned is that the Dead isn't just a spacy jam band. They did some INCREDIBLE covers of blues standards with some of the tightest instrumental improvisations you'll ever hear. Don't just focus on the Garcia stuff. It's great, but there is major strength in the other songs. This one, sang by Pig Pen is my all time favorite.

BarryProfit
dave94 said:

This is correct, Europe '72 also if you prefer a live album.
FancyKetchup14
AG
The make your way to Cornell. Arguably the greatest live album of all-time.

This is my favorite dead song

Philo B 93
"Touch of Grey" is in my top 100 favorite songs of all time. That song takes me to a good place.
Ghost91
Philo B 93 said:

"Touch of Grey" is in my top 100 favorite songs of all time. That song takes me to a good place.

Ranks that high, huh? Made your 'short' list?
Proposition Joe
People getting into them for the first time always makes me think of this scene:

07ag
AG

and

but, really the whole concert from 5/8/77 at barton hall, the rob eaton remastered version

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf/gd77-05-08eaton-d1t01.shn
https://ts.la/eric59704
Philo B 93
Ghost91 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Ranks that high, huh? Made your 'short' list?

I have playlists with my All Time Top 50, All Time Top 51-100, and All Time Top 101-150. Haven't started 151-200 yet. Touch of Grey is in the middle playlist, so it could be anywhere from 51-100. Out of my universe of about 15,000 songs, that's still top 1/2 of 1%.

I felt bad saying that song is Top 100, but it's accurate, and meant as a positive comment.

I'm not a music snob, but I'm a music something. OCD?
WestGalvestonAggie

Start with Shakedown Street and everything after will sound much better...
deadhead aggie
AG
i'll recommend 5 studio then 5 live......hope this helps......

1. American Beauty
2. Workingman's Dead
3. Aoxomoxoa
4. What A Long Strange Trip It's Been (a greatest hits of sort)
5. Blues for Allah

1. Without a Net (this one is a good stepping stone into the live shows)
2. Live/Dead
2. Dick's Pick Volume 3
3. Barton Hall, Cornell, NY 5/8/77
4. Sunshine Daydream, Veneta, OR 8/27/72

powerbelly
AG
deadhead aggie said:

i'll recommend 5 studio then 5 live......hope this helps......

1. American Beauty
2. Workingman's Dead
3. Aoxomoxoa
4. What A Long Strange Trip It's Been (a greatest hits of sort)
5. Blues for Allah

1. Without a Net (this one is a good stepping stone into the live shows)
2. Live/Dead
2. Dick's Pick Volume 3
3. Barton Hall, Cornell, NY 5/8/77
4. Sunshine Daydream, Veneta, OR 8/27/72

I am partial to Dick's Picks volume 8, but that is a solid list.
dcAg
This is a great link:

[url]https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead[/url]
snowdog90
I don't see how a person could dislike any of these 4 songs. I'm gonna listen to them now.

Til the Mornin Comes
Sugar Magnolia
Casey Jones
Ripple
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.