Songland

3,161 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpringAg92
SpringAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is watching Songland?

Songwriters pitch their song to a different artist each week.

I didn't catch the first week, but have really enjoyed the last two.

This weeks writer had an amazing voice as well.

The song is going to be recorded by country singer Kelsea Ballerini. (or it has already been recorded)

Will.i.am & Snoop Dog recorded last week's winner. I liked the original version better I think, but this is still catchy.

MathNewman06
AG
Watching. It's really cool to get more insight into the songwriting/production process (in a contrived competition setting, I realize).
Week 1 was John Legend.
AgTrip
Was going to watch and then saw John Legend and that made me think of his weird ass wife so I had to change the channel...haha
SpringAg92
He was only on week one.
SpringAg92
What did you think about this week? The guy who won was very talented. After listening to both versions I think I prefer the original. (Again)

For the two others who might be reading this thread this is the song that won:

...and The Jonas Brothers version:

schmendeler
AG
it's a fresh take on the reality singing competition. the peak behind the scenes is enjoyable, even with the usual fakeness they have to slather on top.
MathNewman06
AG
My wife and I both thought the original was better. Felt strange for him to give that song up, but that's how it works, I guess.
SpringAg92
schmendeler said:

it's a fresh take on the reality singing competition. the peak behind the scenes is enjoyable, even with the usual fakeness they have to slather on top.

Agreed. I do like that there is a "winner" at the end of each episode and a song is actually released that night.
cadetjay02
AG
I watched last night for the first time and liked it. I'll dissent in that I likes the produced version better. I like Tedder and One Republic and could definitely hear his influence. I like the produced version of the crowded places song too, didn't really care for the third. Green Light definitely sounded like a hit right from the start.
SpringAg92
Able Heart's voice reminds me of Adam Levine
Olsen
AG
Greenlight sounds like this Nick Jonas song that he made a few years ago:

mazag08
AG
I'm waiting for the metal episode
aftershock
I've really enjoyed watching this show. It's become a show that we sit down and watch every week. Idk how much of what happens here is "real life", but it is definitely eye opening how much chopping, reconfiguring, rearranging, etc goes on before a final version is released. It's also eye opening how much musical talent (playing instruments, throwing down beats, etc) some of these artists have. Really enjoyable to watch, and kid friendly, which I appreciate.
CrottyKid
AG
I binged three episodes last night. I love this show. The creative process is amazing.

I think the country girl picked the wrong song. That Crush song was a smash hit.
SpringAg92
Does anyone know which artist will be on next week? I have seen clips, but there are a number of people in those commercials
CrottyKid
AG
Meghan Trainor next week.
Aloe Blacc after that.
SpringAg92
Thanks Crotty. I really like Aloe Blacc
SpringAg92
I'm really looking forward to tonight's show with Aloe Blacc. I seem to recall the winning song will be featured on a movie soundtrack.

What did y'all think about last week? I was hoping she was going to pick the last guy's song. Will be interesting to see if he does indeed end up writing along side Ryan Tedder in the future.
CrottyKid
AG
I was humming that guy's chorus just a minute ago. I can't even remember the song she chose. That makes me think she chose poorly.
SpringAg92
Seeing her reaction to the song after Ester worked with him I really thought he had it

CrottyKid
AG
That song is a hit. I'm telling you.

It is like Party in the USA.
CrottyKid
AG
I watched the latest episode with Aloe Blacc.
Steve Fee is a pretty popular contemporary Christian songwriter. I've sung many of his songs in church. It was interesting to see him on the show. I didn't know the story behind his song. That was wild.

If you don't like Esther Dean, something is wrong with you. She is so likeable.

SpringAg92
Great week. Loved the winning song, but saw at the end the blurb about him recording Fee's song as well.

Both songs are stuck in my head.

Both paint visual pictures (at least for me)

Aloe Blacc's version of Same Blood (Fee's song) made me think of first responders or military. I'm not either, but it's quite moving.

What songs has Fee written?

SpringAg92
For people who have not seen the show...

Both songs he recorded gave me goose bumps.

This one didn't win, but it's an incredible song.

If you or a loved one are a first responder or have served our country give this a listen:

Winning song will be on the Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw movie soundtrack:

cbr
AG
Saw 2 episodes. I generally hate pop music but wifey amd i both compromise on the talent shows at dinner.

This one has promise. The people and songs they bring on are pretty good, and it is interesting and actually impressive to see them work on the production in real time.

They actually are talented.

When i listen to pop radio i wonder, but so far this is worth checking out

CrottyKid
AG
This is the "talent" part of most pop music, the song writing and production.
CrottyKid
AG
Re: Steve Fee
https://songselect.ccli.com/search/results?List=contributor_P246832_Steve%20Fee&CurrentPage=1

You could hear some version of any of these songs on a random Sunday at a contemporary Christian church.
SpringAg92
Thanks Crotty
aftershock
Totally wouldn't have remembered if you hadn't said something, but I'm positive he went to a church camp I was at probably 10-15 years ago. Pretty cool.
rbtexan
S
That show is complete and total hogwash.

Entertaining maybe, but complete and utter bullsh*t in regards to how it actually works. Sorry to bust the bubble, but the Wizard Of Oz they're trying to sell is a little old man hiding behind a curtain.
Jimbo Franchione
cbr
AG
rbtexan said:

That show is complete and total hogwash.

Entertaining maybe, but complete and utter bullsh*t in regards to how it actually works. Sorry to bust the bubble, but the Wizard Of Oz they're trying to sell is a little old man hiding behind a curtain.
Ok, educate us a little.
rbtexan
S
Well for starters, the "pitch to cut" practice is effectively dead in Nashville. Outside songs (those not written by the artist, or published by a company controlled by a) the artist, b) the producer, or c) the record label) don't have a realistic shot anymore.

The contestants on that show had to give up their publishing rights. You can bet the artists involved HAVE to cut at least a few of the songs.

As someone who has sat in writer rooms and been a professional doing it for a living for nearly 4 decades, I can tell you it's probably as close as a TV show could get to showing what it's actually like, but it's not accurate and, like all reality TV shows, it's more about the "show" than the "reality".
Jimbo Franchione
SpringAg92
Okay, I was looking forward to watching the recording tonight. It's not coming back until August.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.