Movies/shows that you "should" like, but don't? (And vice-versa)

6,431 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boy09
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Altered Carbon for me. I love neo-noir / dystopian / cyberpunk sci-fi, but I just could not get into this.

After the first episode, it took me months to watch the next episode. And so on, until episode four. I gave up after that.

I found it mind-numbingly boring, and I can't explain why.
CajunAg97
AG
Mad Men....couldn't make it through 3 episodes
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vice versa:

I really dug the first two Hunger Games movies. I never read the books and generally hate the whole YA genre.
Ulrich
I watched the first two episodes of The Wire yesterday and they did nothing for me. I'm really hoping it just takes a few episodes to get going.
Hincemm
AG
the departed...i thought nicholson's and baldwin's acting was over the top, overuse of the f word.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Movies/shows that I didn't like, and thought for sure I would:
Raging Bull
Inglourious Basterds
Zodiac
LotR
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Mad Men

Movies /Shows I liked that surprised me:
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Frozen
Game of Thrones
jm94
AG
Dunkirk
The Favourite
American Hustle

Grace and Frankie
The Wire
Big Little Lies
Atlanta
Arrested Development
Parks and Recreation

Letterkenny is on the bubble after two episodes - I like it more than the wife does so far. Katy helps.

I liked Star Wars TLJ more than the Internet does.
The Holiday got 48% on RT, but it's one of our go-to feel good movies.
Eliminatus
AG
The Office. Not only do I not like it, I actually really hate it.

It SHOULD be everything I love on paper. I have tried multiple times to get into it. I adore it's "spin off" of Parks and Rec.

But I can't do it. No matter how hard I try. I can't stand the Office.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Holiday is great.
bobinator
AG
2001 for me. I'm pretty much into anything weird and sci fi and just hate that movie.

I kind of feel you on Altered Carbon. If I wouldn't have been at home sick for a few days with nothing else to watch I don't think I'd have made it through it.

A vice versa is probably Twilight. I can't remember why I even watched the first one, and I kind of hate the entire idea of the whole series, but for some reason enjoyed the movies for the most part.
bobinator
AG
I think it does take a while to get going, you also have to be in the right mood for The Wire I think.
Tanya 93
Should like and don't
Super Troopers
The Big Lebowski
Modern Family
Deadwood
Dunkirk
The Barefoot Contessa
Ben Hur
It's a Wonderful Life

Shouldn't like and Love
Idle Hands
The Holiday
Dr. Phil
DWTS
Little Shop of Horrors (non musical)
Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives
Project Runway
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ulrich said:

I watched the first two episodes of The Wire yesterday and they did nothing for me. I'm really hoping it just takes a few episodes to get going.

The Wire is hard because the entire point is to show you how pointless everything is. It's similar Dazed and Confused, where there is kind of a plot, but really, it's more about watching these characters react to this cycle that can't be really broken.

That being said, I think it's one of the greatest tv shows ever made.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Hate "The Office" but love "Parks and Rec.". It all boils down to the characters: Carrel, Wilson and Krasinski annoy the hell out of me.
Cancelled
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Hate "The Office" but love "Parks and Rec.". It all boils down to the characters: Carrel, Wilson and Krasinski annoy the hell out of me.

Parks and Rec has become one of my all time favorite shows. It's not that funny but it's got a lot of heart and charm. I like every character.
WestAustinAg
AG
Dunkirk had all the makings of a great move....and yet it fell mostly flat. Unnecessarily confusing. Too buttoned up. Safe.
91_Aggie
AG
2001 is way up there for me now. I am a huge geek and nerd and seems like I would like this.
I can see it being regarded highly for its time, but watching it now after we've seen so much, this is just a dumb movie that tries be too artsy.

I almost feel that the people who love it, are either very pretentious, or they just think they need to say they love it to be considered cool.

Literally a 5 minute video of the one astronaut eating his square food while watching TV/listening to a recording of his family.

Plot created on the fly by Kubrick and Clarke while they were high on drugs.

rhutton125
AG
I don't really love Breaking Bad. It was good, and I enjoyed it for the most part, but I don't really miss it at all since it ended. For some reason, it just doesn't hook me. Watched season 1 of Better Call Saul and it was interesting, but I didn't feel compelled to go out of my way to watch season 2 either.
Flashdiaz
AG
I like sci-fi but never got into Star Trek.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
91_Aggie said:

2001 is way up there for me now. I am a huge geek and nerd and seems like I would like this.
I can see it being regarded highly for its time, but watching it now after we've seen so much, this is just a dumb movie that tries be too artsy.

I almost feel that the people who love it, are either very pretentious, or they just think they need to say they love it to be considered cool.

Literally a 5 minute video of the one astronaut eating his square food while watching TV/listening to a recording of his family.

Plot created on the fly by Kubrick and Clarke while they were high on drugs.

2001 is one hour of plot in a three hour movie.
95_Aggie
AG
Game of Thrones
Sex Panther
AG
queso1 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Parks and Rec has become one of my all time favorite shows. It's not that funny but it's got a lot of heart and charm. I like every character.

Wut
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm right there with you guys.

Loved Parks and Rec. Never liked The Office.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm right there with you guys.

Loved Parks and Rec. Never liked The Office.

The episodes with "Peter principle " Micheal were good.

The episodes with high functioning autistic/special needs Michael sucked.
Eso si, Que es
Should but don't:

WestWorld

Shouldn't but do:

Big Brother
TXAG 05
AG
I'm with y'all on 2001. It's just not that good. Kubrick is pretty overrated as well.
TXAGFAN
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Ulrich said:

The Wire is hard because the entire point is to show you how pointless everything is. It's similar Dazed and Confused, where there is kind of a plot, but really, it's more about watching these characters react to this cycle that can't be really broken.

That being said, I think it's one of the greatest tv shows ever made.
I started the wire a couple times, after watching "everything else" I went back and enjoyed it. It's not a Top 10 for me, but it is good tv.
NoahAg
MASH is not funny or good.
lazuras_dc
AG
Wes Anderson
Ol Jock 99
AG
Deadpool. Watched 10ish minutes and turned it off. I like violent movies. I like funny movies. But I just couldn't do it.
mazag08
AG
Should but don't:
Big Lebowski
Lord of the Rings
Fargo
Breaking Bad
Harry Potter
The Office

Shouldn't but do:
Fantastic Beasts (don't know why I can't get into HP but these have been enjoyable.. it makes no sense)
Any movie about dancing
Grown Ups
MW03
AG
I'm genuinely surprised at these replies about The Office. I've watched that series through countless times. It's on a short list with Seinfeld, Community, Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock for my favorites of all time.

Trident 88
AG
MW03 said:

I'm genuinely surprised at these replies about The Office. I've watched that series through countless times. It's on a short list with Seinfeld, Community, Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock for my favorites of all time.
I'm a fan of both The Office and Parks and Rec, but I totally understand the hate by some people for The Office. It has a much more negative vibe.

In The Office, two of the main characters are extremely obtuse and politically incorrect. Much of the show's comedy is based on Michael or Dwight doing or saying something that offends the other characters. It's funny, but that level of non-stop awkwardness is just too much for some viewers.

In Parks and Rec, they have the same sort of characters, but they usually show up only briefly at town hall meetings to say something ridiculous and/or to berate Leslie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weirdly, I love the UK Office.
91_Aggie
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I like sci-fi but never got into Star Trek.
Man, I watched every Star Trek; The Next generation when it came out.

Now when I see it on re-runs, I just can't watch it. Not sure what it is... maybe dated... maybe worse acting than I remember... but it just seems so cringey now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.