Legos

13,467 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boy09
A. Solzhenitsyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always loved Legos and buy small sets from time to time just for fun. My kiddos are getting into them now too (mainly because I have forced them to), so that's pretty fun too.

My little brother buys the really huge, expensive sets, puts them together, and then generally lets them fall into a state of disrepair before ultimately boxing them up and storing them. I asked him the other day if he would give my daughter some of the Legos that he and I had from growing up, to which he said of course, and then promptly showed up with his entire trunk full, vice the one small box I was expecting.

Everything is mixed together, but I know at a minimum the collection includes the complete Ewok Village set and the big Disney Castle (4000 pieces), and various other sets that may or may not be complete. I'm now in the process of sorting, so I can have some hope at building these huge sets (probably will put the castle on display in my daughter's room - not sure what to do with the Ewok Village).

Anyways, mostly I'm just curious if there are other Lego dorks fans on here
Duncan Idaho
Behold! The kragle!!!!!
expresswrittenconsent
Nice twist at the end! I am not a Lego fan but I hope you post some pics of your journey starting from a box with 1,000,000 pcs, to separating them to reassembly, etc.

A. Solzhenitsyn
expresswrittenconsent said:

Nice twist at the end! I am not a Lego fan but I hope you post some pics of your journey starting from a box with 1,000,000 pcs, to separating them to reassembly, etc.

I've been photo-documenting the organization process so far, mainly just to show my brother, but I'll upload some pics soon.
rhutton125
AG
Haven't built one in ages but that was my jam growing up. I'll see a set at a store sometimes and marvel at the price inflation though. $20 used to get you a decent spaceship or a chunk of a castle - now it's like 1-2 Lego men and a tiny vehicle, at best.

Never had a giant pirate ship or Death Star or anything like that, a used-to-be-$100 set, but I'd accumulated a pretty badass stash by the time I "grew up".
GiveEmHellBill
AG
On my desk at work I'm staring right now at the Ecto-1 and the BttF DeLorean.

I recently saw the LEGO Aston Martin from Goldfinger and really, really want it.
The Milkman
AG
I'm a big LEGO fan and keep my eye on the new releases in the expert series. They are pricey, but as someone I buy just once or twice a year its not the end of the world. If you can find a big set that comes in at less than $0.10 a piece its probably a pretty good deal.

This is by far my favorite set I've ever had. Saturn V!

The Milkman
AG
This is next on my wish list though:

A. Solzhenitsyn
I went down a rabbit hole of custom sets (MOCs, as they are apparently known in the biz), and there are some absolutely staggering creations out there. I cant imagine how much people must spend on those.
BQwolf05
AG
I have fallen into this as well with my kids. We had a similar experience with my BIL who unloaded the Police Station, several police cars, and various buildings.

This was prep for the kids prior to putting together a mini city to play with. This doesn't show some of the buildings we had not built yet and all the other non-city related sets we have now.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Love Legos. Each year from about thanksgiving through New Years the dining room table becomes LEGO land. My daughters and I will sit for hours and build! I'll be sad when they don't want to do it anymore.
BQwolf05
AG
I am looking to be able to do things like that soon, wife not so much. Need my youngest (3) to get a little older to not destroy everything right away. In the same weekend I took my pic I posted above, I have others of him standing and sitting in the middle of the city that we (myself and the 7 yro) built.
A. Solzhenitsyn
BQwolf05 said:

I am looking to be able to do things like that soon, wife not so much. Need my youngest (3) to get a little older to not destroy everything right away. In the same weekend I took my pic I posted above, I have others of him standing and sitting in the middle of the city that we (myself and the 7 yro) built.
my wife makes fun of me for both my love of legos and my extensive collection of vintage star wars action figures.

i'm just like, "what kind of woman would marry someone like that?"
Duncan Idaho
While cleaning out my parents attic, I may have come across my old collection of Fischer price toys and may or may not have spent a few hours setting up a a little town with a farm, a school, a garage and an airport in one corner of the attic....you know just to make sure all of the pieces were there.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Duncan Idaho said:

While cleaning out my parents attic, I may have come across my old collection of Fischer price toys and may or may not have spent a few hours setting up a a little town with a farm, a school, a garage and an airport in one corner of the attic....you know just to make sure all of the pieces were there.
Duncan Idaho
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I am well aware of my loser status.
jeffk
AG
We saved all my LEGO sets from when I was growing up with the intention of handing them down to my kids. Was able to do exactly that, but I wasn't really prepared for the emotional shock of seeing all those built sets eventually reduced down to individual pieces and thrown into a giant bin.

My son is five and he's getting to the point where he creates his own builds and we can play together. It's a ton of fun and I'm glad we can bond over LEGO time.

As for my own personal, not-shared sets, I've been collecting the Speed Champions series and filling up the office bookshelves with the vehicles. They're fantastic! I've had my eye on those larger automotive sets too, but those are a bit more pricey than I'm willing to invest at the moment.
Tanya 93
Our son literally has a room devoted to Legos.

When your child is a Star Wars dork and they all know It, he gets lots of Star Wars sets.
JJxvi
AG
I recently bought/received this as a Christmas gift...

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Voltron-21311

But other than that dont own or have anything else since I was a kid. I look forward to maybe buying and messing around with them if/when we have kids.
Quad Dog
AG
You haven't lived until you've tracked all of your sets with Brickset. 247 sets. I won't tell you how much all that is worth.
https://brickset.com/
MSFC Aggie
AG
A guy I work with built this...

aggiephoenix02
Confession time: I use my 10yo as an excuse to collect and play with LEGO. HaHa, his collection takes up an entire room...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
twilly
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Our son literally has a room devoted to Legos.

When your child is a Star Wars dork and they all know It, he gets lots of Star Wars sets.
We also have a room entirely devoted to Star Wars legos. The difference is it's my room, not my son's
07ag
AG
The Milkman said:

I'm a big LEGO fan and keep my eye on the new releases in the expert series. They are pricey, but as someone I buy just once or twice a year its not the end of the world. If you can find a big set that comes in at less than $0.10 a piece its probably a pretty good deal.

that one was awesome, did you pick up the lunar lander they released this week?
https://ts.la/eric59704
GoAgs92
AG
If I step on another lego on my tile floor, one of my kids is being put up for adoption.
The Milkman
AG
I haven't but I was actually just looking at it online today.
aggiephoenix02
Would it be fair to say the posters on this thread have a connection?
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Fairview
AG
My son is working on this one right now. Its one of the cooler one's I've seen in a while because you can put it regular, upside down or separate.

The video in the link on the Lego site is pretty cool if you are into Stranger Things.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/The-Upside-Down-75810
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

A guy I work with built this...

Why is the cork O-Ring fix only on the bottom booster connection. pffft amatuer.
BQwolf05
AG
This is why I got my daughter into them. As soon as she could be trusted from a choking hazard point, I started buying all the sets my parents wouldn't.

I then realized why they never did lol.
Ulrich
I never liked the sets all that much except that that's how you get all the special pieces (and the little pistols, rifles, knives, and swords, which were VERY IMPORTANT).

I loved building giant ships, submarines, and forts from scratch with secret compartments, detachable command modules, and stuff activated by hidden levers. My crowning achievement was figuring out how to use the spare rubber bands from my braces to make springloaded gadgets. Touch the right brick and an antiaircraft turret might pop out.
wangus12
AG
Absolutely loved them as a kid. I would build the initial sets, but eventually everything would get mixed in with other sets so I started building these massive forts/complexes and my brother would play with them. Once they were destroyed, I'd start over on a new design.
The Milkman
AG
I have come back to this thread a number of times, and every time I assume its in the Nerdery. Glad that (according to texags) LEGO people arent nerds.
HtownAg92
AG
The Milkman said:

My son and I are into this one. We've got a couple of stages done, but got derailed by Minecraft, City trains and Jurassic Park sets. That Saturn V is a finicky sucker between stages before you get them "locked" with the top pieces.
CowtownAg06
AG
My 6 year old loves lego and especially Harry Potter. He started bigger lego sets when he was 5. At first I got a hardware organizer like I hang on the garage wall to store everything. My idea was to to mix the sets but keep every piece organized by color. Then when you needed a white piece, just look in that drawer. I waaaayyyyy underestimated how many pieces we'd have and how difficult this would be. Recently, I went I put each set into a zip lock bag individually. That took forever, but my son plays with them more now.

Once the 3 year old is less destructive, I want to build them all and put them up somewhere. I'm definitely too anal about losing pieces, but they do get disappointed when things are missing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.