Star Trek: Picard

26,101 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Atreides Ornithopter
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, it's really happening.

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-picard-cbs-trailer-cast-plot-how-to-watch/
chipotle
but...he's old. He's too old.
JD Shellnut
AG
Hell yes! Can't wait for this!
Gigem314
AG
bobinator
AG
So do we think the first ten minutes are just going to be a quick overview of what exactly the historical timeline is in the Star Trek Universe now?
Claude!
chipotle said:

So was I, if you remember.
TCTTS
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone getting the all access just for this or pirate?
bobinator
AG
I'll probably wait and see if it's any good and then get All-Access for a month and watch it all at once.
bobinator
AG
So we think the person talking in the trailer is probably a Romulan right?
javajaws
AG

Quote:

"The end is only the beginning"

Based on the tone of the teaser and the above quote I'm going to predict some sort of transcendent future for Picard as he moves beyond this dimension.
bobinator
AG
PiQard?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
C@LAg said:

I Am Mine said:

Anyone getting the all access just for this or pirate?
pirate.

http://imgur.com/gallery/axPwdMd
jokershady
AG
What event is the narrator referencing here? Is it the last movie, Star Trek Nemesis? I'm no where near as up to speed on Star Trek but I'm pretty sure that was the last time we saw Picard in Star Fleet.
israeliag
AG
jokershady said:

What event is the narrator referencing here? Is it the last movie, Star Trek Nemesis? I'm no where near as up to speed on Star Trek but I'm pretty sure that was the last time we saw Picard in Star Fleet.

It could be the destruction of Romulus that occurred in Picard's timeline and caused Eric Bana to travel back in time and cause Shatner to turn into Chris Pine in a split timeline.
Liquid Wrench
bobinator said:

PiQard?
I'm going to have to know if that's revisited before I decide whether this is worth watching.
bobinator
AG
That's why I'm assuming The person talking is Romulan. I assume the rescue mission was to save Romulans. He might have even helped them find each other thus 'led us out of the darkness.'

I actually think that's a fairly easy guess though, the real question is what made him leave Star Fleet.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone know what happened in the last few next gen movies?
chipotle
I Am Mine said:

Anyone know what happened in the last few next gen movies?

They killed data. Other than that, nothing.
oragator
Some additional info on the timeline and background if you want it before the show airs.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-we-know-about-the-disaster-that-made-picard-quit-s-1835135219
bobinator
AG
They didn't even really do that. He kind of Altered Carbon'd himselt to B4.
Rudyjax
AG
oragator said:

Some additional info on the timeline and background if you want it before the show airs.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-we-know-about-the-disaster-that-made-picard-quit-s-1835135219

I couldn't follow that.
bobinator
AG
They really overcomplicate the issue, especially because they don't really know part of it. We don't know what happened to cause Picard to leave Star Fleet. But we do know what the 'event' is that the speaker is referring to. (At least to a reasonably degree of certainty.)

2379 - This is the date for Star Trek Nemesis, the last time we saw Picard

2387 - The Romulan star explodes, destroying their home planet (We know this from the 2009 Star Trek movie.) Spock was sent to try and save the planet using red matter, but he's too late, and he creates a black hole that he and the Narada are pulled into.

(Here's the tricky bit. From the perspective of Picard and everyone else in this timeline, those two ships just disappeared, and Spock is presumed dead. The fall of the Romulan empire has massive ramifications for this world. From the voice over we're assuming that Picard was part of some kind of huge rescue armada sent to save Romulans. Something happens that causes Picard to leave Star Fleet.)

2402 - This is the best guess for when Picard is set based on the 'fifteen years ago' line from the trailer.
bobinator
AG
Typing that out makes me think that the only real possibility for the big event that caused Picard to leave Star Fleet is that they allowed a lot of Romulans to die that they could have saved.
israeliag
AG
I was thinking about it, and it's pretty remarkable Picard hadn't retired sooner.
The dude had lived four lives and I'm pretty sure has in-canon retained the memories of all of them:
1. That life he lived when a probe makes him fast live a life on a dying planet (The Inner Light)
2. All of Sarek's life after Sarek mind-melded with him before dying (Sarek)
3. An alternate life where he is not stabbed by a Nausicaan and ends up living a pretty boring life (Tapestry)
4. Ohh and just his own, main life, that included assimilation by Borg where he near genocides Earth, and then de-assimilation; as well as having to defend all of humanity from a god-entity.
Rudyjax
AG
Time travel confuses me and my favorite theory of time travel is, what happened already happened and you can't change the present because it's already been created to that reality.

That being said, didn't they change the timeline, or is that just in another dimension?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
israeliag said:

I was thinking about it, and it's pretty remarkable Picard hadn't retired sooner.
The dude had lived four lives and I'm pretty sure has in-canon retained the memories of all of them:
1. That life he lived when a probe makes him fast live a life on a dying planet (The Inner Light)
2. All of Sarek's life after Sarek mind-melded with him before dying (Sarek)
3. An alternate life where he is not stabbed by a Nausicaan and ends up living a pretty boring life (Tapestry)
4. Ohh and just his own, main life, that included assimilation by Borg where he near genocides Earth, and then de-assimilation; as well as having to defend all of humanity from a god-entity.

He didn't "live out " the life from not getting stabbed by the Nausicaan. Q just jumped him from point to point in it. Just like the final episode.
bobinator
AG
Your theory is what happened here.

Star Trek, even within its own universe, has played a little loose with time travel rules historically.

But in this case, everything that happened once Spock and the Narada arrived back in time has no bearing on the events in the universe we've seen Picard in. (Their alternate reality is popularly called the Kelvin Timeline, the only Star Treks that have taken place in the Kelvin Timeline are Star Trek, Into Darkness and Beyond.)

For the purposes of Picard, the Romulan star (Hobus) exploded and destroyed Romulus and Remus, Spock and the Narada died in the explosion, and the events of Picard are going to be taking place 15 years after that happened.
Rudyjax
AG
bobinator said:

Your theory is what happened here.

Star Trek, even within its own universe, has played a little loose with time travel rules historically.

But in this case, everything that happened once Spock and the Narada arrived back in time has no bearing on the events in the universe we've seen Picard in. (Their alternate reality is popularly called the Kelvin Timeline, the only Star Treks that have taken place in the Kelvin Timeline are Star Trek, Into Darkness and Beyond.)

For the purposes of Picard, the Romulan star (Hobus) exploded and destroyed Romulus and Remus, Spock and the Narada died in the explosion, and the events of Picard are going to be taking place 15 years after that happened.
Ohhh..ok...thanks.
double aught
AG
When does this premiere? I'm looking forward to it more than Discovery which has just been ok.
aglaohfour
AG
chipotle said:

Ummm, if by "old" you mean "incredibly sexy." Then, yes.
Olsen
AG
Satellite of Love
So a show about futuristic world of wine making? I wonder if they still use corks or have they found a better topper?
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Olsen said:

Here's hoping he named the dog "Riker."

Riker, stop licking yourself.
Riker, don't poop on the floor.
Riker, stop humping the couch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.