*** FORD v FERRARI *** (Matt Damon, Christian Bale)

16,934 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ja86
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tk for tu juan
Ferrari today:

88Warrior
Aust Ag said:

TV Casualty said:

For some reason Matt Damon as Shelby just short circuits my brain.
Matt Damon with a southern accent short circuits my brain.

I'm not a big Damon fan but he actually did a good job as Shelby in this movie....
Madman
AG
I think it was a hell of a good movie. Don't know how accurate it kept the history, but very very good.
Gigem314
AG
88Warrior said:

Aust Ag said:

TV Casualty said:

I'm not a big Damon fan but he actually did a good job as Shelby in this movie....
"I don't speak Italian, but he sounds pissed"

Yeah I enjoyed Damon in this one. Lots of great one-liners. Bale nailed it.

I love car movies, and this one is up there with some of the best for me.
Duncan Idaho
haven't seen it yet but do i get my b story about chili?
dmart90
AG
Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Damon and Bsles were very good. The racing cinematography was awesome. Several good laughs.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw this last night and enjoyed it. It did feel like it dragged just a bit in the middle, but still a very solid movie.

Miles really got screwed at the end. And from what I read, the relationship with Ford wasn't really as contentious as portrayed, but I figured that was a bit of Hollywood anyway.

Having seen it, I don't understand why Fox wouldn't push Bale for Best Actor and Damon for Best Supporting Actor. Their screentime is probably close to even, but it's really more of the Ken Miles movie than the Shelby movie. Not to mention pitting them against each other is just screwing both of them over. (Just like Ken was screwed at Le Mans!)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

That's good to know, but they needed to do a better job of getting that across. It felt like Ford says, "We're gonna beat Ferrari," then Lee Iacocca shows up at Shelby's place to recruit him, then all the sudden there's a fully built car at Shelby's new hangar.
Yep, I had this exact confusion about that as well.
Aggie12B
AG
Bale was great as Ken Miles. Damon was surprisingly good as Carrol Shelby. Really enjoyed the driving and racing scenes. I recomend this movie for anybody who is into cars and car racing.
TriAg2010
AG
It was fun! I agree with some of the comments above about the story timeline, but that didn't stop it from being an entertaining 2.5 hours.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I reccomend this movie for anybody who is into cars and car racing.
I'm really not into either and really enjoyed it. Not being into either also made the ending unexpected for me.
cbr
AG
Great movie. Im a huge racer and car nut so most all car movies are let downs. I liked this one though. I'd have done some slightly more driving focussed action shots, but thats lost on many people.
BurnetAggie99
I thought was pretty good movie. I'm a car guy so enjoyed seeing all the cars. Also I'm big Shelby fan and what he all accomplished in his career. This is music to my ears the sound in the video.

Teacher_Ag
AG
I went to see this mainly because I tend to see anything Bale is in but wasn't sure I'd get a lot out of it since I'm not into automotive stuff but I was surprised how good it was. Just a great movie in every respect. As a dad I especially loved the depiction of Ken's relationship with Petey. Way exceeded my expectations. Looked and sounded great.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Finally saw this one last night. Great movie.

I had reservations about it due to Damon and Bale but, Matt Damon did a reasonably good Texas accent (even included the word c'aint). But, that was the best performance I've ever seen Bale give. He was terrific as Ken Miles.

And all the car stuff, I just loved.

Having just done some translator assisted business meetings in Japan two weeks ago, I loved the whole translation situation with the Ferrari meeting.

I went to the Carroll Shelby factory/museum in Las Vegas two months ago but three years ago I was able to take the factory tour. The old guy giving the tour had worked with Carroll Shelby and he retold the story about the GT-40 development right up to the events of the 1-2-3 finish at LeMans. It was pretty cool seeing that story depicted on film. And of course seeing the real cars in the showroom/museum.

One thing I did get a laugh out of in the movie is the height difference between Christian Bale (about 6') and Matt Damon (about 5'10") playing Carroll Shelby who in real life was about 6'5" or 6'6".

Shelby should have been an imposing figure compared to Bale but, if you look closely, in every scene where Damon and Bale are shown together, Bale is doing things to make himself appear shorter - leaning over, or Damon is standing on something, etc. It doesn't really affect the movie but it is kind of funny.

I'll have to look up the real location of Shelby American ind the 1960s but they showed the LAX landmark restaurant in the background many times.
HollywoodBQ
AG
So... looked it up and apparently Shelby really did test the cars on a runway at LAX. His shop was in Venice.

Also forgot to add that I took my wife who was very hesitant about going but, she loved it too. In fact, the only part she didn't like was the wife driving scene. That along with a few other parts in the 2 1/2 hour long movie felt like there must be some additional footage that explains a few things but, got left on the cutting room floor.

Again, Bale was fantastic and I got tired of his love of tea but, all of his sayings, mannerisms, etc. were just like a British mate of mine.
Max Power
AG
Got around to seeing this yesterday, absolutely loved it. I didn't know it was that long, I didn't even realize it, time flew by for me. Damon and Bale were both outstanding, Bale in particular as Miles was so good. I have no idea what aspects of the film are truth vs fiction for story purposes, but it's a movie, I don't care that much. Also, as someone who loves old cars, what a cast!

Had a tough time keeping it together at the end when Shelby brought Miles's wrench to his son.

That's the kind of film I go to the movies for, loved it, my favorite film of the year.
TMACsDaMan
I enjoyed the movie! Did anyone else want to punch Leo Beebe by the end of the movie?
double aught
AG
I loved Bale yelling at the pit crew at the start of Le Mans. "The bloody door...won't close!"

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Finally saw this last weekend. I did not know anything of this history, given that I've never been a car guy. Damn this was an exciting movie.
WestAustinAg
AG
Gigem314 said:

88Warrior said:

Aust Ag said:

TV Casualty said:

Damon was seriously doing a Tommy Lee Jones accent. Which I abhor. But the movie was great.
TCTTS
AG
I thought Damon's Texas accent was one of the most accurate real-life Texas accents I've heard on screen in quite some time. Compared to the Varsity Blues-ification of most Texas accents, it was great.
lazuras_dc
AG
It wasn't pleasant to listen to but Aside from maybe American sniper / hell or high water -his accent was pretty believable IMO
PatAg
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Gigem314 said:

88Warrior said:

Aust Ag said:

TV Casualty said:

Damon was seriously doing a Tommy Lee Jones accent. Which I abhor. But the movie was great.
Sounded like a standard Texas accent to me, but I don't really have one. He wasn't over the top with it
94DallasAG
AG
If you want to know more of the story with actual footage and interviews watch "The 24 Hour War" on Netflix. It was made in 2016 and is fantastic

The 24 Hour War
Macarthur
Finally watching this last night. Really enjoyable movie.
ja86
AG
A good Netflix documentary is one on Carroll Shelby too that adds some background on his relationship with Ford. on a side note, it is kinda sad what happened to the cobra daytonas they used to race the endurance circuit.

Shelby American

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.