The chef show

4,685 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GoAgs92
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This looks like it could be a fun one. I enjoyed Chef.

JYDog90
AG
I have totally loved watching this.
schmendeler
AG
I completely forgot about it after posting this, so thanks for reminding me.
JYDog90
AG
I didn't watch Chef until last night.

I'm amazed on the Chef Show how influential Chef was with folks in the food industry. I can't tell if they're pumping up their self importance or it really is that influential.

I enjoyed Chef but I didn't think it was groundbreaking stuff.
schmendeler
AG
willie wonka said:

I didn't watch Chef until last night.

I'm amazed on the Chef Show how influential Chef was with folks in the food industry. I can't tell if they're pumping up their self importance or it really is that influential.

I enjoyed Chef but I didn't think it was groundbreaking stuff.
I'm guessing it's similar to how office space resonated with people working in drab white collar jobs?
JYDog90
AG
It's a nice little conversation we're having here.
schmendeler
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks cool, will check it out.
lazuras_dc
AG
Just started it now. The guests and chefs will make it entertaining at least.
schmendeler
AG
The part after Gwyneth is better.
Swarely
He used to have a show called "Dinner for Five" on IFC. Only lasted one season, but I loved it.
PatAg
AG
Swarely said:

He used to have a show called "Dinner for Five" on IFC. Only lasted one season, but I loved it.
yea, a few at least are on youtube, and its super interesting
lazuras_dc
AG
I enjoyed the Franklin ones quite a bit. I can't believe how much work it was preparing for the festival. Glad I started the series.
JYDog90
AG
The disappointing thing is when you get to this one, you're done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Those grilled cheeses look glorious.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Gryuere, Parm, American Cheddar. Fresh Sourdough bread.

Set out butter so it gets soft, add some fresh chopped dill.

Grill, turning ever so often. Adding a little dill butter as you turn.

Name your first child after me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why would I name it after you, it's not your sandwich.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Cause "fancyketchup14" would look great on a birth certificate.
Max Power
AG
I'm ready for the Bill Burr spin-off. This show is great.
JYDog90
AG
You, on the other hand, could be the (Brian) Earl of Sandwich.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like it
CrawfordAg
AG
Max Power said:

I'm ready for the Bill Burr spin-off. This show is great.
Something's Burning with Bert Kreischer is hilarious and funded by Burr, they're all available on youtube.
LawHall88
AG
The show was great, but I'm surprised Netflix didn't make the movie available at the same time.
JYDog90
AG
I agree. It was on a year ago. They just drove me to prime to rent it.
Txmoe
AG
I'm very surprised at how much I enjoyed this series. On its face, it just seemed like a way for Favreau to squeeze a little more content out of a thoroughly mediocre movie. But Roy Choi made this series worth watching. Some of the recipes were interesting and I might try to make them but the fascinating parts of the show were Choi's intensity for cooking, his respect for the ingredients and his discussion of chef culture. If he tasted something great from another chef you could see the joy and respect on his face. Likewise, the funniest moment in the show was when he took a bite out of a beignet that he and Favreau made and immediately threw it in the garbage because he could tell that the mix was old.

Edit: I just watched the above trailer and the scene with the bad beignet and Choi's face is in it at the :55 mark.
schmendeler
AG
Txmoe said:

I'm very surprised at how much I enjoyed this series. On its face, it just seemed like a way for Favreau to squeeze a little more content out of a thoroughly mediocre movie. But Roy Choi made this series worth watching. Some of the recipes were interesting and I might try to make them but the fascinating parts of the show were Choi's intensity for cooking, his respect for the ingredients and his discussion of chef culture. If he tasted something great from another chef you could see the joy and respect on his face. Likewise, the funniest moment in the show was when he took a bite out of a beignet that he and Favreau made and immediately threw it in the garbage because he could tell that the mix was old.
I agree that was a great moment. but I also appreciate that he wasn't turning his nose up at it initially.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Episode 2 is great.
PooDoo
AG
I made the pasta dish for my wife with steamed mussels.... Awesome!
Azariah
AG
This show is out-****ing-standing. I love everything about it from the premise (Favreau was sad that filming Chef ended) to the casual nature of the conversations, to randomly having massive movie stars sit down for dinner.
Tabasco
AG
I had my wife get ingredients for the salsa verde for this weekend. We are having our daughters (12 and 15) cook something (they have never cooked anything) and I am going to have one cook their grilled cheese on our outdoor teppanyaki, with a tomato bisque.
True Anomaly
AG
I'm a big fan of Binging with Babish on YouTube, and in the episode where Babish makes aglio e oilo with Favreau, he gives Babish the same serving fork from the "Chef" movie. Babish legitimately looked like he was given the greatest gift he could ever receive. It was a genuinely great moment
Tomdoss92
AG
REMtx
Been watching this as well and really liking it. As mentioned, Netflix should have made the movie available to watch at the same time as well.
Tabasco
AG
FYI, movie Chef was released today on Amazon Prime (ie free streaming if you are a Prime member)
Philip J Fry
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.