Why Game of Thrones was next to perfect

3,984 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Madmarttigan
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffdjohnson said:

. No one is wrong here.

I reject your hypothesis
jeffdjohnson
Duncan Idaho said:

jeffdjohnson said:

. No one is wrong here.

I reject your hypothesis

Let's fight.
cbr
AG
"The Bells" was awesome.

it was completely obvious to me that she had to burn KL. and that she would burn KL.

she dies for sure if she doesn't do it.

jon dies too.

its completely clear that neither of them can survive the conniving lords of the west or ****birds in KL.

so that all made perfect sense, and was no more evil than anything any of the other game players did.

just more effective.

that fit perfectly with the whole theme of the show, that the game is evil, that innocents always die in any war, that you win the game or you die, and that the game forces you into all these things.

i actually thought they were going to make a tragic good guy out of her and say that she was actually dying from Varys' poison, and that she did it so Jon could rule westeros from the north, break the wheel of the lords and their scheming courts, and make the world a better place, probably finding out after he killed her in a tragic twist.

but no, they chickened out in 8-6, abandoned the entire theme of the show, and all of its messages and subtleties, to cower to the lowest common denominator of fans.

they turned one of the most interesting and complex characters in TV history - danarys targareon - into a two bit cheap ass shallow child's comic version of hitler and then ran with a bunch of other awkward nonsense to wrap it up in pathetic fashion.

i could end this series a hundred fantastic ways after the bells, even finding ways to send jon north and bran on the throne that would be fine......but this was literally the worst sellout in history of TV. absolute pure trash in 8-4 and 8-6.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

i actually thought they were going to make a tragic good guy out of her and say that she was actually dying from Varys' poison, and that she did it so Jon could rule westeros from the north, break the wheel of the lords and their scheming courts, and make the world a better place, probably finding out after he killed her in a tragic twist.
glad they didnt choose that as an ending because it makes less sense than the crap we got.
Cerdock
AG
dany's ending was completely foreshadowed In her visions in the "house of the undying". She never touched the throne and went immediately to the afterlife with Kal Drogo. So - here is a question: why did she walk through the gate in "the wall" to get to him? Was this a further "hint" as to who would send her into the afterlife (Jon heads north of the wall through that same gate at the end)?
The Dog Lord
AG
You can say the people of KL chose Jon over her (in her mind) all you want, but that makes zero sense. They just know him as Jon Snow of the North at this point (if they even know of him at all). If anything they were choosing Cersei by hiding in the Red Keep, but even that is a stretch as Tyrion mentions to Dany.

As others have mentioned on the main thread, there are countless other ways it all could have been set up to make more sense. The explanation of why she did or had to do it changed every week too. It could have been madness and anger. The show runners basically said it just wasn't enough to win. Others said it had to be done as part of ruling by fear. In the finale, Dany says she was liberating the city.
Madmarttigan
AG
Perfect? It was a pile of dog *****

Either you hated the bells episode and how it made no sense or if you weren't defeated by that point the last episode had to have you scratching your head.

They didn't break the wheel, it's still a monarchy controlled by a few and will be easily abused. The entire Dany death scene was kind of cheesy with the dragon melting down the throne. Jon's lineage meant nothing. They elected basically a robot with no sense of morality as their king.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.