Terminator: Dark Fate

32,306 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXAG 05
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couldn't find an existing thread for this.

Produced by James Cameron, directed by Tim Miller (Deadpool), and starring Linda Hamilton.

Really hoping this is finally the Terminator movie we've all been hoping for since T2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Though I will say I didn't hate Genisys. It's just super forgettable.
Flashdiaz
AG
I can say I hated Genysis.

But I didn't hate Salvation
bobinator
AG
I thought Salvation was extremely well done, but the plot doesn't make much sense (even for a Terminator movie.)

I thought the plot of Genysis made more sense, but it wasn't particularly well done. Kind of like T3.
Boo Weekley
This could be really good. I hope somehow they can give off the same creepy/ominous vibe you got in T2. One of my fav movies of all time.
Urban Ag
AG
Linda Hamilton is 62. I hope that shotgun doesn't fracture her wrist.
TCTTS
AG
Trailer tomorrow.
schmendeler
AG
what's the consensus on T:3? I haven't really thought about it since I saw it in theaters. I remember enjoying it but not thinking it was particularly great.
bobinator
AG
I thought like the overall plot points of T3 were really well written, but the execution left a lot to be desired. And the hybrid terminator was pretty stupid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Boo Weekley said:

This could be really good. I hope somehow they can give off the same creepy/ominous vibe you got in T2. One of my fav movies of all time.
I'll never forget seeing the nuclear blast scene at the playground as a kid. Terrified me, and I've been afraid of nuclear armageddon ever since.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Is this a continuation of the previous Terminator story lines or is this one of those re-boots in which they pretend none of the previous sequels took place? I hope its that later. I've seen all the sequels but I'd be hard pressed to state where the story stands at this point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't think T3 is that awful, but it's really not that great either.

The guy playing John Connor did nothing for me. Hell, he's even a step down from Edward Furlong.

Plus he and Claire Danes had literally zero chemistry.

But worst of all, not bringing Linda Hamilton back and killing her offscreen was criminal.

But all that said, the scene of all the nukes going off is pure greatness. Shame that wasn't in a better movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly that. Ignore everything after T2.

Pretty much what Halloween did last year.
The Collective
AG
I'm a sucker for this franchise.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

the scene of all the nukes going off is pure greatness
Literally the only thing I remember about that one.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Yeah, I hope they go with basically picking up post T2 and ignore the rest. I enjoyed the other films, none were great but none were total failures. However, it would be nice to clean up the story and start anew. It worked with the Jurassic Park series when the re-booted with Chris Pratt.
bobinator
AG
Well the good news is that several of these movies have created multiple timelines so they can choose to completely ignore everything that happened by just rebooting the timeline again.
TCTTS
AG
This movie definitively ignores everything that's come post-T2. It's apparently a "direct" sequel to T2, just set years later.
bobinator
AG
Into the Connor-verse.
TCTTS
AG
"Ignores" might be the wrong word as yeah, they might have some kind of spiffy time travel excuse in-movie that gives logic to hand-waving away the other movies, but my point is that the filmmakers have definitely said they're pretending all the other post-T2 movies don't exist.
MGS
Didn't Josh Friedman work on the Sarah Conner Chronicles?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I can say I hated Genysis.

But I didn't hate Salvation

I liked Genesys a lot actually.

Salvation really had potential but the ending was poor and hokey. Would have been much better with the supposed alternate ending. Supposedly a twist where Connor dies instead of being miraculously saved by Marcus (because Bale did not want to do any sequels) and Marcus the Sam Worthington character the hybrid takes his place as anyone that knew Connor died except his wife and Reese. Everyone else knows his voice and he can perfectly mimic it - so he does in the radio call at the end coming from him Marcus/Connor and not Bale/Connor. In that way John Connor as we knew him becomes a hybrid terminator/human who sent Reese back who knows about Connor's fate but does not tell her.

Terminator 3 is the abomination although it has a few redeeming qualities and scenes and an epic ending - I love that they just went ahead and blew it all up.

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But all that said, the scene of all the nukes going off is pure greatness. Shame that wasn't in a better movie.

This. The movie itself kind of sucks, but that ending might be the best of the series. When Connor finds himself in that bunker at the end, and he reluctantly answers the distress call - knowing it was the Terminator who sent him down there to fulfill his destiny, so to speak, followed by all the nukes going off - it's just flat out amazing. Had a better movie led up to that moment, it could have been an all-timer.
HtownAg92
AG
So unless they find a way to extend the 1997 judgment day, this will be only 6 years after the T2 events. I guess they can say that the Connors delayed the timeline by destroying the tech, but Cyberdyne still found a way to make things happen later. Thus accounting for the Sarah's age.

But what did she and John do for 30 years? He wouldn't need to train to become a leader because the threat is supposedly gone. He probably ended up barely graduating from HS (lack of drive or discipline), did one year at San Luis Obispo CC, then ended up selling pagers and car stereos at a strip mall. He may have moved up to general manager by judgment day, since he would be about 45.

When Sarah comes to find him to tell him it is time to be a leader, he is mostly bald and has a wicked beer gut.

And Sarah? Did she hide for 30 years? She escaped court-ordered incarceration in the psych ward, shot up a prominent scientist's house, abetted some dude with a mini-gun in shooting up a bunch of cops and then cause all sorts of damage to a steel mill.
schmendeler
AG
HtownAg92 said:

So unless they find a way to extend the 1997 judgment day, this will be only 6 years after the T2 events. I guess they can say that the Connors delayed the timeline by destroying the tech, but Cyberdyne still found a way to make things happen later. Thus accounting for the Sarah's age.

But what did she and John do for 30 years? He wouldn't need to train to become a leader because the threat is supposedly gone. He probably ended up barely graduating from HS (lack of drive or discipline), did one year at San Luis Obispo CC, then ended up selling pagers and car stereos at a strip mall. He may have moved up to general manager by judgment day, since he would be about 45.

When Sarah comes to find him to tell him it is time to be a leader, he is mostly bald and has a wicked beer gut.

And Sarah? Did she hide for 30 years? She escaped court-ordered incarceration in the psych ward, shot up a prominent scientist's house, abetted some dude with a mini-gun in shooting up a bunch of cops and then cause all sorts of damage to a steel mill.
did some say pagers?

jokershady
AG
schmendeler said:

what's the consensus on T:3? I haven't really thought about it since I saw it in theaters. I remember enjoying it but not thinking it was particularly great.
Arnie was ARNIE in T3. Thought he was great!

Plot....interesting course it does take a massive dump on the whole "no fate but what we make" in T2 since in T3 to quote Arnie, "you only postponed it. Judgement day is inevitable."

However the worst part of T3 was casting....the actors portraying John Conner, Catherine Brewster, and the T-X or whatever her name was SUCKED HARD!

Action? Pretty bad ass. The car chase scene at the beginning was awesome (zero cgi used when that huge 18 wheeler crashed Arnie through it while hanging on the hook. They literally built that building for that one shot).
Boo Weekley
Time to hit the treadmill Vinyard!

Flashdiaz
AG
He can star in the Roseanne prequel
TCTTS
AG
MGS
Boo Weekley said:

There is no cake but what he ate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Boo Weekley said:

jokershady
AG
Damn....

That kid had so much potential as an actor....

At a young age had already done Terminator 2 and American History X and got to work alongside amazing other actors and directors...

What could have been....
Average Joe
AG
TCTTS said:

but my point is that the filmmakers have definitely said they're pretending all the other post-T2 movies don't exist.
They aren't the only ones.
TCTTS
Average Joe
AG
I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Genisys and thought Salvation was pretty decent. However, the story got really screwed up. It went from simple time travel to making Back to the Future look like child's play. They need to get back to man vs. machine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.