*** Downton Abbey (Film) ***

2,970 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wildcat
OCEN99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PlanoAggie
AG
Wife and I are excited for this one!
MAROON
AG
Loved this show. Mr Carson might be my favorite character ever. Had the luck of getting to attend a dinner at the Castle with the entire cast a few years ago. Really one of the coolest events I've ever had the pleasure to attend.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
annie88
AG
MAROON said:

Loved this show. Mr Carson might be my favorite character ever. Had the luck of getting to attend a dinner at the Castle with the entire cast a few years ago. Really one of the coolest events I've ever had the pleasure to attend.
Oh cool! How lucky for you, what a great experience. Can't wait for this.

On a sidenote, it was very weird seeing Carson playing a corrupt Pope in Knightfall the last two seasons.
PlanoAggie
AG
Wife and I saw an early screening of it last night -- it was awesome!! If you're a big Downton fan, you will really enjoy it! We didn't want the movie to end.
Pignorant
AG
Saw it last night as well.

Doesn't miss a beat!
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
My cute parents went on a date to see it today! Movie at 2, dinner at 4 and home by 6!
scd88
AG
Saw it tonight and it was good. Felt like a long episode and that's about it.

If one has never seen the TV show or kept up with it; it won't make a lick of sense. Finish the series and then go see the movie.
aglaohfour
AG
My MIL and I saw it at an early screening and really loved it. The whole thing was clearly written to make fans of the show happy. No big surprises or really any strife at all. But it was a lovely, easy watch. I'd forgotten how much I adore Alan Leech.
'03ag
Emotional Support Cobra said:

My cute parents went on a date to see it today! Movie at 2, dinner at 4 and home by 6!
sounds amazing.
The Kraken
AG
Enjoyed this one with the wife. Pretty much a must see if you enjoyed the series.

BTW if you live the Katy/Richmond area the new Star Cinema Grill near Westpark Tollway and Peek is very, very nice.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Does the story involve time travel so Matthew can come back?
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
DG-Ag
AG
Question - would you enjoy the movie if you didn't watch the TV show? I binged it but my wife hasn't seen any of it.
PlanoAggie
AG
My folks had not seen any of the TV episodes, but they really enjoyed the movie. Now they want to go watch the TV series
The Collective
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Does the story involve time travel so Matthew can come back?

mullokmotx
AG
When the series ended Mary was expecting so that child was in the movie. Watching this series and Victoria gives me a reason to look up the actual history behind the historical characters and events. For this movie it was Princess Mary.
OCEN99
AG
My wife and I finally got to see it last night, like everyone says, it really doesn't miss a beat picking up from the end of the series.

I'm still having trouble processing Imelda Staunton as a sympathetic character though.
Gigem314
AG
Saw it Friday night and really enjoyed it. What drew me to the series was the backdrop of WWI. I'm a sucker for historical time pieces.

I would love to see them revisit the story set 10 years ahead as WWII gets underway.
PacifistAg
AG
Saw it this past weekend with my wife. We love the series, and binge watched it in the lead up to the movie. The movie was perfect. Felt like a seamless continuation of the series. Was just wonderful.
annie88
AG
PacifistAg said:

Saw it this past weekend with my wife. We love the series, and binge watched it in the lead up to the movie. The movie was perfect. Felt like a seamless continuation of the series. Was just wonderful.
We saw it last week and I ended up binge watching the entire season again. I remembered most of it but there were a few little parts here and there I didn't quite remember exactly. I just love the show so much.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
annie88
AG
DG-Ag said:

Question - would you enjoy the movie if you didn't watch the TV show? I binged it but my wife hasn't seen any of it.
She would enjoy it but she's not going to understand any of the back stories on it. So a lot of the jokes and the relationships aren't gonna make a lot of sense to her.

I was suggest you have her binge watch the series too, even after the movie.
annie88
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

My MIL and I saw it at an early screening and really loved it. The whole thing was clearly written to make fans of the show happy. No big surprises or really any strife at all. But it was a lovely, easy watch. I'd forgotten how much I adore Alan Leech.
I like Alan too, it was weird seeing him play kind of a scum bucket in Bohemian Rhapsody though.
aglaohfour
AG
annie88 said:

Agoodlittleag04 said:

I like Alan too, it was weird seeing him play kind of a scum bucket in Bohemian Rhapsody though.

Yes! He was great in BR, but the character was so vile that it was hard to remember that it was Alan Leech. I follow him on Instagram and he just seems like such a happy, kind person in real life that it's kind of crazy they chose him for that role.
Wildcat
AG
Agree that the film is for fans of the show, only. Even the barbs between the old bats require some historical knowledge of the show in order to be entertaining.

I felt like the downstairs drama was a bit contrived. The closure and passing of the torch scene at the end was great.

Looking forward to the next installment when Tom is hitched to Mrs Smith.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.