Albums that slowly grew on you

2,103 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aust Ag
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love post rock, and especially Explosions in the Sky. My wife walked down the aisle to Your Hand in Mine and they were playing when I held my newborn kids. I hated "The Wilderness" when it came out in 2016, and I basically ignored it for the next 3 years. This week though, I hit play on Explosions' library and when it got to there I realized I now wasn't just tolerating it, I straight up like it. Maybe even love it in some parts. How bout you guys?
Flashdiaz
AG
Radiohead... specifically OK Computer. When it came out I thought his voice was to whiny. I listened to it more and really like all the songs
Know Your Enemy
AG
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color

Thought it was OK at first but thankfully continued to listen. It got better & better each time.
Yellerjacket
Every Tool album. It took about 5 years for me to get into Undertow. I didn't really give it much of a listen until after I had the Aenima album for a year or so. It seems like I have to listen through every album about 20 times before I hear everything.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Pinkerton
Stadium Arcadium
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Old Town Road.
NoahAg
Weezer's green album. Mainly b/c I thought "Buddy Holly" was garbage. Still do, but the rest of the album is great.
chipotle
TriumphForks
AG
Sigur Ros - Takk
94DallasAG
AG
Took the Stadium cd with us to the World Cup in Germany and listened to it the whole time. That's what I think about every time I hear it
mike_ags_fan12
Ben kweller- Changing Horses. Only because I bought the album For one track.
Bottlehead90
AG
Townes Van Zandt
It took me a while to truly appreciate him, but their is something there that had me want to play it one more time with increasing frequency each time.
Now I really like him.

Max Power
AG
Lateralus

I love Tool, but for some reason this album didn't stick with me at first. Undertow and Aenima I was in from the beginning, but Lateralus made me mature and work for it. Now I find it a masterpiece, their finest album, its incredible.
Cancelled
AG
ELO New World Record
Frankly, any ELO.
Shakes the Clown
Steely Dan - Aja

U2 - War

Rush - Fly By Night

The Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Depeche Mode - Violator

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ryan Bingham..took about ten listens to get him. My other would be 2112 by Rush. Once I figured out what was going on, it became a masterpiece.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Duncan Idaho
Shakes the Clown said:

Steely Dan - Aja

U2 - War

Rush - Fly By Night

The Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Depeche Mode - Violator

How you listen to either of those and don't immediately love them, is beyond me.
Duncan Idaho
Max Power said:

Lateralus

I love Tool, but for some reason this album didn't stick with me at first. Undertow and Aenima I was in from the beginning, but Lateralus made me mature and work for it. Now I find it a masterpiece, their finest album, its incredible.

I was the same way then I listened to it while trying to break a cluster headache cycle. Absolutely mesmerizing
TXAG 05
AG
Troutslime said:

Ryan Bingham..took about ten listens to get him. My other would be 2112 by Rush. Once I figured out what was going on, it became a masterpiece.

Which Ryan Bingham album?
MAROON
AG
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
swimmerbabe11
Lucero "All a Man Should Do"

My favorite band and I hated the album at first. Then listening to the band on shuffle, I'd be like "huh, like this song which is it" and it would be that album. Still not my favorite, but I definitely like it now.
bearamedic99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Pinkerton
Stadium Arcadium

Stadium Arcadium is their best work despite Dani California. Dust gets in my eyes during Death of a Martian.
elfurioso92
AG
Rush - Grace Under Pressure.

Van Halen - Diver Down.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Pinkerton
Stadium Arcadium

Stadium Arcadium is their best work despite Dani California. Dust gets in my eyes during Death of a Martian.

I think RHCP might be the biggest crossover band since the Beatles. Their music appeals to just about any group.
bearamedic99
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Townes Van Zandt
It took me a while to truly appreciate him, but their is something there that had me want to play it one more time with increasing frequency each time.
Now I really like him.

What's a good album to start with TVZ?
chimpanzee
queso1 said:

ELO New World Record
Frankly, any ELO.
Agree. I sort of mentally pigeon holed them into some kind of prog/disco-ish/lighter than usual rock, but there is a lot going on composition-wise in their stuff (for a less than novice music guy) that is neat to pay attention to.
chimpanzee
Bottlehead90 said:

Townes Van Zandt
Now I really like him.

Not sure I could ever get used to his voice, but his words are as poetic as anything put out there.
spence10
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Radiohead... specifically OK Computer. When it came out I thought his voice was to whiny. I listened to it more and really like all the songs

+1.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Kanye West - Ye
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

tysker
AG
Champ Bailey said:

bearamedic99 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Pinkerton
Stadium Arcadium

I think RHCP might be the biggest crossover band since the Beatles. Their music appeals to just about any group.
And thus:
Bottlehead90
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Bottlehead90 said:

Townes Van Zandt
Now I really like him.

What's a good album to start with TVZ?

I started with a cd that was a double album of "High, Low, and In Between " and "The Late Great Townes Van Zandt". That is a good cross section of his music and his voice still sounds good. On his later albums, his voice is shot and he doesn't really sing.
But as has been said his lyrics sound like they are torn from his flesh. They were somewhat cryptic to me at first. The more I listened the more meaning they had and the more I liked them.
But this is not house party music. It is something I listen to solo.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Troutslime said:

Which Ryan Bingham album?

Mescalito
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
cc10106
Kid A
cc10106
heddleston said:

I love post rock, and especially Explosions in the Sky. My wife walked down the aisle to Your Hand in Mine and they were playing when I held my newborn kids. I hated "The Wilderness" when it came out in 2016, and I basically ignored it for the next 3 years. This week though, I hit play on Explosions' library and when it got to there I realized I now wasn't just tolerating it, I straight up like it. Maybe even love it in some parts. How bout you guys?
I never gave that album much time, as I've been content with everything up to 'All of a Sudden...', but they were the gateway for me into post-rock and other bands like Mogwai and Caspian. Hammock is another similar band I've been digging a lot lately, especially their album 'Everything and Nothing'.
Aust Ag
AG
The Smiths in general.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.